Jvc GY-Ls300 finally gets 4:2:2 4k and other gifts!

Alt Shoo

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I couldn't find the ebay listing, but there is this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-LS300-CHE-/132148473346?hash=item1ec4a9ae02:g:zoEAAOSwjDZYliPT

Spain is just a few hours away from France, and it has a lens and a stabilizing system, just do a quite small offer (something like 1999euros!) and wait to see if you can grab a bargain. In most cases ebay is very protective with buyers, but you always have to be careful on line.

nice ! thx !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I couldn't find the ebay listing, but there is this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-LS300-CHE-/132148473346?hash=item1ec4a9ae02:g:zoEAAOSwjDZYliPT

Spain is just a few hours away from France, and it has a lens and a stabilizing system, just do a quite small offer (something like 1999euros!) and wait to see if you can grab a bargain. In most cases ebay is very protective with buyers, but you always have to be careful on line.

Wow that is a heck of a deal!

• Super Members

I wouldn't say this is anywhere near a definitive test (there seems to be a lot in the comments about how the FS5 could have been pushed further for example) but in and of itself the result from the LS300 is certainly very interesting here. 

As i will buy 2 cameras in July, I just took a look at the LS300 (@Mattias Burling has tested it) for a few hours with a friend who owns it. Some remarks:

It has a respectable 1080p quality (25p +50p too), no complains. 4K IQ is also OK.

Colours: Some kind of "sterile", no structure/texture in images - it reminds me of the NX1. Colors are pleasant/neutral, but not exceptional in any sense.

Really useful: The dual card system allows you to record in different (independent) resolutions, so you could record 4K on the first card and 720p on the second card. GREAT, because, the LS300 allows you to send your footage immediately LIVE, eg to Ustream or YouTube. For people who need this feature - very good. (You can send your footage per FTP too...)

AF is (for contrast AF) great, we've tested it with a Panasonic 35-100 2.8, the OIS of Pana lenses works with this camera well. BUT don't expect as much stabilization as from a classical camcorder or a modern IBIS + IS lens. AF + Canon (+ E2MFT adapter) lens is very slow and hunts sometimes, depending on used lens...

Turns every prime lens you mount to it to a parfocal zoom lens - just focus and push the zoom rocker button and the camera will keep focus during zooming. A very useful feature too...Focusing features are good...

The camera needs contrast (another similarity with the NX1) in low / decent light, otherways you will get very fast some noise and/or washed out colors. 4K J-LOG is maleable, no banding in the skies but we didn't push it too far.

It seems, the coming update will make the recording of 4K 60p possible - but only with a external recorder. This way you loose the portability advantages of a very light camera. Generally the LS300 feels a little bit "cheap", but hey it's only 2.800 Euros...

For a mixed usage - ENG + filmic work - hard to decide...Not enough stabilized (with IS lenses) for carrying it on your shoulder, but excellent for live broadcasting.

@Arikhan Where it says internally?

"Version 4.0 provides 4:2:2 (8-bit) 4K recording at 24/25/30p onboard to SDXC media cards."

"The GY-LS300CH will also now have the capability to output Ultra HD at 60/50p via its HDMI 2.0b port. Through JVC’s partnership with Atomos, the GY-LS300CH will operate seamlessly with the new Ninja Inferno and Shogun Inferno monitor recorders, triggering recording from the camera’s start/stop operation. Plus, when the camera is set to J-Log1 gamma recording mode, the Atomos units will record the HDR footage and display it on their integrated, seven-inch monitors."

@Kisaha

Where it says internally?

LOL...Thanks for clarification Kisaha. It seems, originally I was right about assuming that 4K 60p works only with an external recorder and then...I didn't read their new press release careful enough and assumed, the LS300 would do this internally. Oops...

@Kisaha

You are right...I just took a closer look at it (LS300) and it has some very good points for its price. It could be the ideal camera for ENG shooting and quality footage...During the few hours of usage I saw, the OOC footage is somehow comparable with the NX1 (crisp image, neutral nice colors) but probably nothing to use, when you are on "cinematic look" without much work in post. Personally I don't care, because the camera has really strong points as prime zoom (very practical to shoot with - focus once and you'll get somehow a parfocal lens without the need to refocus) and it has a respectable AF with Pana MFT lens 35-100 2.8 and others...Much better than my FZ1000, because locking on without hunting in daylight. It focusses with this lens similarly as the XC10. I would call it "reliable" (for contrast AF)...A very flexible and versatile camera for my needs...

It was a charm too shoot with it with a Tarion + Steadycam and it worked very well, considering that I shot first time with this kind of gear. Perfect stable footage without wobble. BUT it was camera only, without any external recorder attached. If NAB doesn't bring us any interesting camcorders, I consider to buy two LS300 or two FS700 +  7Q+ this summer. Both devices have strengths and weaknesses, but we first have to wait the NAB...

@Arikhan you know my most used cameras lately are LS300 and NX1!

In general maybe you are right about the image, but because I am editing some projects with multiple cameras (those included) I would say that this is the way most modern sensors act these days, and all else are much different (NX1 is H265 4:2:0 and LS300 is 4:2:2 with different codecs).

In general, the LS300 codecs remind me a lighter Black Magic camera and NX1 an improved version of GH4.

I have never used AF with the LS, maybe I have too..

I do waiting for NAB, hope something comes up from Canon (C100mkIII, and CN-E 18-80) or Sony FS5markII (if it comes, and is good, I am going Sony and Fuji 18-55 cinema lenses), I wish for a better JVC, if not, then I am truly considering going LS300+Atomos plus GH5, and keep my Samsungs (I have NX1/NX500/NX3000) as my hobby cameras, and one man 5 camera covering (joking, I can do only 3 at a time! no joke!).

FS700 is one of my worst Sony's, and I do detest a lot of their cameras! and it is going to be much more expensive than the LSs, and they are not truly compete each other, different animals. Be aware that a FS700 is a slow mo monster, and LS300 has a monstrously bad slow motion, quite the opposite really.

Why you have to buy 2 of each?!

@Kisaha

FS700 is one of my worst Sony's,

4k RAW footage with the FS700 it's a complete different universe than the on camera 4.2.0 - but I even like the 4.2.0 when shooting ENG Run & Gun. Small bitrate, easy to "quick grade" (for quick jobs)...The RAW option is only for "extra shots" I need. After looking of some RAW footage graded out of the hand of an pro and compared with F55 footage, I was blown away by the IQ of the ancient FS700...

Why you have to buy 2 of each?!

I need two identical cameras for 2-camera-shots without the necessity to tweak and adapt & match too much in post. My budget for 2 cameras (including or not external recorders) is about 13.000 Euros (without rigging, lenses, etc.)...only cameras & recording devices (if needed)...

2 hours ago, Arikhan said:

4k RAW footage with the FS700 it's a complete different universe than the on camera 4.2.0 - but I even like the 4.2.0 when shooting ENG Run & Gun. Small bitrate, easy to "quick grade" (for quick jobs)...The RAW option is only for "extra shots" I need. After looking of some RAW footage graded out of the hand of an pro and compared with F55 footage, I was blown away by the IQ of the ancient FS700...

Is this footage comparison online?

• Super Members
1 minute ago, PannySVHS said:

Darn you! :) But now you committed to shooting and showing a lot of cool footage with it:)

Steady on.

It will be dull test footage all the way.

I'm even thinking of buying a cat specifically for this purpose.

Currently browsing for a PL adapter and might even go mad and pick up an old B4 lens as I'm determined that the much vaunted flexibility of this camera that I've got myself so keen on is going to be taken to the limit by attaching any tubular object that has glass at either end of it!

This guy sets the bar pretty high though when it comes to mounting B4 lenses on MFT mount cameras.