GH5 4k Workflow & Slow Mo Question

Charlie

Hi all,

I just received my GH5 which is a big step up for me from my trusty GH2!...I am also switching to Premiere from Vegas. I have a couple of questions if you would be kind enough to help!!

1. How do I correctly set my project to Cinema 4k 10 bit in Premiere?

2. How can I correctly mix 1080p slow mo in a 4k project?

In premiere, the 1080p footage obviously does not fit the preview window of a 4k project (This is all new to me!!)

I want to shoot scene with a guy walking at a normal pace then sudenly switch to really slow, slow motion. I'm sure you have seen this effect in many videos online but I can post a link if that is acceptable on the forum. It seems I can only use VFR if I switch my system frequency to 50Hz from 24Hz. I do not want the slow mo created in camera, I want to do it in the edit so I can use the effect at specific points.

I really would appreciate your advice as I start shooting next Saturday on a short film. This will be entered into festivals so I want to use the best quality files.

Thanks in advance!! :grin:

Charlie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Rava_Rama said:

Put 4k footage in 1080p timeline work on slomo footage and when u finish export it in 4k

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Jn- said:

Can't help with Premiere, what you want to do is easy in Vegas, "velocity envelope". If you're under time pressure why not put off Premiere until you have time to learn it?

I'm not under pressure to edit, I thought there was a way to record at high frame rates but they play at normal speed on your timeline until you chnage the speed in your software?? Vegas or whatever. The VFR mode (which is new to me) automatically plays the slow mo as soon as you put it on the timeline. That is not what I want. I want it to play at normal speed until I choose to slow it down at a specific point. I can probably figure it out but am just looking for a quick answer if anyone knows!

17 hours ago, Jn- said:

Hi Charlie, I don't have a GH5, but if I shoot say 4 secs. of HFR with Sony RX100 Mk. V = about 40 seconds at 250fps, I then drop that 40 second clip onto Vegas Pro timeline. I right click the clip, it's called an event in Vegas, and insert a velocity envelope. I would then increase/raise the velocity substantially at the start of the event to get it to normal playback, walking speed, then later, lower the video envelope using suitable points to go to a slower speed near the end of the event.  The "normal" speed setting will be 10 times slower i.e. 250fps/25fps. PAL region.  Theres a "set" option also to set your desired % up to 1000%, as well as predefined % settings, including "normal" = 10x slower.  Of course you've got to watch that you don't run out of runaway, but thats easy to spot, it starts back on itself.

Thanks, I was thinking that might be the way people do it, essentially you are speeding up the slow to normal speed until you actually want the slow mo. You are correct, Vegas is very easy to do this kind of thing, I just think Premiere has better plug in support for Magic Bullet products and the new proxy workflow is very very cool!!

I would like to continue with Vegas but for the reasons above, I have to switch.

On 29/03/2017 at 9:01 PM, Charlie said:

Hi all,

I just received my GH5 which is a big step up for me from my trusty GH2!...I am also switching to Premiere from Vegas. I have a couple of questions if you would be kind enough to help!!

1. How do I correctly set my project to Cinema 4k 10 bit in Premiere?

2. How can I correctly mix 1080p slow mo in a 4k project?

In premiere, the 1080p footage obviously does not fit the preview window of a 4k project (This is all new to me!!)

I want to shoot scene with a guy walking at a normal pace then sudenly switch to really slow, slow motion. I'm sure you have seen this effect in many videos online but I can post a link if that is acceptable on the forum. It seems I can only use VFR if I switch my system frequency to 50Hz from 24Hz. I do not want the slow mo created in camera, I want to do it in the edit so I can use the effect at specific points.

I really would appreciate your advice as I start shooting next Saturday on a short film. This will be entered into festivals so I want to use the best quality files.

Thanks in advance!! :grin:

Charlie

1. Create a new sequence by dragging and dropping a file with the settings you want (4k 10 bit) into the empty timeline area. Or onto the "new item" icon at the bottom right corner of the project window. The sequence will match the footage settings of that file. 

2. Just right click the clip in the timeline window, select "scale to frame size." This also works nicely if putting 4k footage onto a 1080 timeline. Another option if you wanted to get carried away is Red Giant's plugin called "Instant 4k". When you export one of the check boxes is "use maximum render quality" which improves the scaling.  

1 minute ago, Orangenz said:

1. Create a new sequence by dragging and dropping a file with the settings you want (4k 10 bit) into the empty timeline area. Or onto the "new item" icon at the bottom right corner of the project window. The sequence will match the footage settings of that file. 

2. Just right click the clip in the timeline window, select "scale to frame size." This also works nicely if putting 4k footage onto a 1080 timeline. Another option if you wanted to get carried away is Red Giant's plugin called "Instant 4k".

Cheers!