More love for the Sony A6500?

Oliver Daniel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Paul Cryer said:

Without moving too far off topic, my first Sony camera ...

Then I had a VX2000, which I loved. Before moving to Canon and not having anything else really since, bar a GH4 for a short time.

dcr-vx9000.jpg

Wow that was a Serious piece of Kit back in the day. Heck you could still make some good stuff with it today. Looked it up, it was $3,199.00 in 2000. Not chump change LoL.

It is amazing how many Sony Handycam cameras they have made, and Tons of Pro video cams. Sony has Always taken video in a serious way.

9 hours ago, noone said:

I have come to see things written about Sony that just doesn't match my experience.    EG ergonomics, colours, skin tone, menu access and even AF in some instances.

Only lately I was tempted to buy the GH5 (after I had sold my Pocket), but decided to give the A6500 a try. Reluctantly, because ...

> I had seen the awful menu of the A7S and A7rii

The menu is a mess. Fortunately, you have the FN-button and can dial M1-M4 for quick access and your preferred shooting modes. 

> I'd never liked the Sony "color science"

There is S-Log2. Within the last 2 months, I learned to expose it properly and (almost, with the help of the histogram) intuitively for every situation except night shots, where Cine1 seems to work better. The DR preserved within S-Log2 is very good, the GH5, 10-bit or not, has less. The colors? I tried a few things and found the Omeneo primers (20 bucks) to be to my taste. Not much headroom left for extreme grading, but I'm not good at that anyway.

> I was sceptic about the usability of AF

Yes, I always focused manually. I still do, with very shallow DoF or in dark, low contrast places. But for most situations, the AFC is better than me. Fast, spot-on, reliable, no hunting.

> I did not like any of the lowlight demos

... but nobody forces me to shoot like this. What's wrong with being able to shoot at ISO 6400 without needing Neat? 

> I heard terrible things about the rolling shutter

I found this to be true. The solution to this is IBIS. Problem solved.

I recently purchased the a6500 around Christmas time and as others have said on this thread the image quality coming out of this camera is to me is unreal. Granted, I've only had the Panasonic G7 before hand; I haven't had the experience of shooting with cinema bodies. But below are some still frames from a wedding I shot this past weekend. 

wedding5.jpg

wedding7.jpg

wedding1.jpg

wedding6.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 11:46 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

Those images are from a music video I made in Blackpool UK last week, using the A6500 exclusively,mostly in 4k, Slog2, 18-105mm kit lens only. All handheld. Natural lighting. 

Video out in a month. 

Would love to see it when its out ! Those stills look dope ! 

On 3/28/2017 at 11:05 PM, Emanuel said:

Back to topic, a6500 would be my second choice to follow GH5, only because XT2 ruled out IBIS.

Pity that RS, though. 8-bit doesn't help either, even though 4:2:2 output can solve many problems, banding included.

:-)

I just bought one & will be doing lots of testing with it. Even though there are clear benefits to 4:2:2 10bit there are a heap of other factors that influence the output. 8 bit 4:2:0 is not that bad and in most cases the difference between the two are imperceptible. I hope I can help debunk this 4:2:0 8 bit myth before someone reading this forum goes crazy and starts thinking all their cameras with that output are now completely garbage LOL

5 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Dude your shot selection is incredible ! You did a great job at picking shots that really sell the feel of the song and hides the cameras defects. I was on the lookout for this atrocious RS everyone is talking about with movement in the frame but you did a good job at keeping it under control. I primarily shoot handheld so this gave me hope

Did anybody know the Rolling Shutter A6500 in 4K? Is it the same as A6300? Have 4 NX Cams one A6500  ( mostly for Pictures) w. my Canon Lenses where the NX has  no control over aperture IS AF EXIF. SONY with a Super Menuestructure , long Battery Life,  great LCD Colors & dimming  = IRONY ON.

But I like the 5 Axis Stabi the Focus check button often AF is missing with my Focusdiox Pro Adapter

On 3/29/2017 at 4:06 PM, jsmorris_ said:

I recently purchased the a6500 around Christmas time and as others have said on this thread the image quality coming out of this camera is to me is unreal. Granted, I've only had the Panasonic G7 before hand; I haven't had the experience of shooting with cinema bodies. But below are some still frames from a wedding I shot this past weekend. 

wedding5.jpg

wedding7.jpg

wedding1.jpg

wedding6.jpg

incredible !!!!

On 18.9.2017 at 12:52 PM, Oliver Daniel said:

@Oliver Daniel great framing, as Kidzrevil already stated. Awesome angles and eye. Just wondering though, the stills in your original post look even much

better color wise than the moving images in your video. The gamma is different between the two on my screen. One looking like awesome hyperrealism, the other

just like nice looking color. Did you change the gamma?

I just got a refurbished sony a6500 and I am getting this weird image artifact thing when recording video.This is how all my 4K footage looks after recording and even some of my still images. I thought it was a sensor issue but the image looks absolutely fine in the live view mode. Any idea what can be causing this ?

CB6D9616-5215-4420-B9F5-6FD9584BE609.jpeg

On 22.9.2017 at 1:34 PM, kidzrevil said:

I just got a refurbished sony a6500 and I am getting this weird image artifact thing when recording video.This is how all my 4K footage looks after recording and even some of my still images. I thought it was a sensor issue but the image looks absolutely fine in the live view mode. Any idea what can be causing this ?

CB6D9616-5215-4420-B9F5-6FD9584BE609.jpeg

Question mark, no image.

• Super Members
17 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

2CB7B627-848B-4311-AE0E-374B1257DC6B.thumb.jpeg.9f3b169ce952cd8395af7b2732dbd4b7.jpegooops !

I sent it back btw. I bought a brand new model instead, I can’t wait to start shooting with it

That happened to me with two seperate a6300. On the third replacement the EVF was tilting...

I know its a sensitive subject and believe me, I want Sony to succeed, but this is their mo these days.

The a7 and a6000 have been very solid for me. The rx100iv, a6300, a7ii and a7sii have all disappointed me.

I hope you get a better one next.