GH5 test footage - Post it here!

64mulford

37 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Your test looks good Fredrick...I notice at 3200 the wall color behind you than 400....which is the true color of the wall?

400 is closest to the true color.I believe it shifts towards yellow the higher you go. It's more pronounced in the side by side but if you stack them on top of each other not that big off a difference. 3200 is also a little bit brighter. It's also noticeable in @Neumann Films video posted below.

27 minutes ago, jgharding said:

No post noise reduction on any of these? If so I'd happily use any ISO listed.

No post noise reduction in this one, but check out @Neumann Films test with Neat video. 

8 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Youtube conversion denoises the video.

Yes, but it's still a pretty good performance for a m43 camera. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If someone want to have a look at v-log skin tones I also made these videos. The grade is a little bit different between the and I guess somewhere in the middle would be better, but I'm very pleased with how easy it is to get good skin tones in v-log. At least I'm satisfied with the result and it can only get better. Turn down the sound if you don't want to listen to a strange Nordic language :) 

2 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

If someone want to have a look at v-log skin tones I also made these videos. The grade is a little bit different between the and I guess somewhere in the middle would be better, but I'm very pleased with how easy it is to get good skin tones in v-log. At least I'm satisfied with the result and it can only get better. Turn down the sound if you don't want to listen to a strange Nordic language :) 

Nice skintones indeed! Compared to your videos taken with the GX80 in the same yoga studio setting, I dont see that much more dynamic range. How is your experience to date with the GH5 compared to GX80 / G85? What do GX80 owners like I miss? :)

57 minutes ago, jase said:

Nice skintones indeed! Compared to your videos taken with the GX80 in the same yoga studio setting, I dont see that much more dynamic range. How is your experience to date with the GH5 compared to GX80 / G85? What do GX80 owners like I miss? :)

I have G80,GX80 and GH5 , and there is not much difference in the dynamic range, so 1, -1.5 stop . I do not consider it so important

But GH5 has a much better fullHD video !! That difference is huge, and that's important to me

13 minutes ago, tonysss said:

I have G80,GX80 and GH5 , and there is not much difference in the dynamic range, so 1, -1.5 stop . I do not consider it so important

But GH5 has a much better fullHD video !! That difference is huge. 

But Vlog should give at least a couple stops more DR than the regular picture profiles of the GX85. I would consider that pretty big, though it's not immediately apparent from most of the videos I've seen online. I even consider Cinelike D to be much better than the other photo styles of the G85. 

24 minutes ago, jonpais said:

But Vlog should give at least a couple stops more DR than the regular picture profiles of the GX85. I would consider that pretty big, though it's not immediately apparent from most of the videos I've seen online. I even consider Cinelike D to be much better than the other photo styles of the G85. 

I do not buy a V-log ,unfortunately

47 minutes ago, jase said:

The other videos are actually shot with the GH3, except a few B shots in a couple of videos. The other videos are shot with LED's in the winter and these new ones with natural light so they are not 100% comparable. Anyway, the color coming out of the newer camera models are just so much easier to handle in post.

The DR gained in this shot is probably lost in the grade :) I don't see much either and this location is a bit tricky to say the least. I've tried covering up the windows, but it looks a bit weird and I obviously loose a lot light. I'm still getting used to exposing v-log and these were a bit too much underexposed if I remember correctly. But for what it is I'm happy with the result for now. 

I just got the G85 really cheap and that is a great camera. The GX85 is much better looking, but the ergonomics on the G85 is in another league. Compared to the GH5 and GX85 it's easily the most bang for buck for enthusiasts who wants a small footprint. The GH5 is much more a "Pro" camera which can be built into a low-budget cinema camera. The GH5 is also a lot bigger and heavier. Have you went to the store to check it out yet?

When the GH4 v-log was leaked I was very excited to see how good it looked with just a small contrast correction, unfortunately it didn't work well without an external recorder. Now with the GH5 you don't need that unless you want to shoot 4K 50p. I probably don't need the GH5 or v-log but it's very exciting to shoot with and I also enjoy the challenge of mastering it and improving my skills. This camera will be with until 1) the GH6 comes out with or 2) someone starts paying me and I need something better (which is very unlikely ;) ).

What I like about the GH5 though is that there is nothing to miss. Every feature I need is there and it just feels solid. And even though I've had it for a while I've barely touched the surface, there are so many new features to explore like the Like 709 profile that I just tried and looks very promising. Slow motion is also very cool!

I played with the VFR mode this afternoon. Added a bit of Twixtor to get a 20x/600fps equivalent slow motion. Each 10 seconds sequence in the video represent 0.5 sec in real life. 

Of course the VFR hurts the image quality and Twixtor soften the image but the result is not bad. I really love the GH5.

3 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

I played with the VFR mode this afternoon. Added a bit of Twixtor to get a 20x/600fps equivalent slow motion. Each 10 seconds sequence in the video represent 0.5 sec in real life. 

Of course the VFR hurts the image quality and Twixtor soften the image but the result is not bad. I really love the GH5.

Neat! You can still see Twixtor artifacts in some shots, but it plays much, much better with higher frame rates. A lot of those shots would've not worked at all with Twixtor and 60p.

1 hour ago, dbp said:

Neat! You can still see Twixtor artifacts in some shots, but it plays much, much better with higher frame rates. A lot of those shots would've not worked at all with Twixtor and 60p.

Yes, it's far from being perfect. I just wanted to see how far I could push it with decent results. Plus I did zero effort to find a good subject and frame the shot right. Purely a specs shoot to test the VFR.

7 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

I think the 120fps mode has the same quality as the 24p, 60p modes. Pixelperfect and clean HD resolution.

How about sending that through Twixtor for 240fps and 480fps? Would be interesting to see how 240fps stacks up against the

180 VFR mode.

48 minutes ago, tihon84 said:

I like how LIKE 709 looks, but i want to have more information in shadows and highlights. So, shooting using VLOG will give me more room in post

Fair enough. How many more stops of DR does VLog give compared to Like 709?