Anyone not that excited about the GH5?

Shield3

I really want the GH5, but only if two things are an improvement or at least a match with what I already have: the 10 bit so that vlog can be played around in post and not create banding using all the dynamic range the camera can offer... And second, the anamorphic mode is the full sensor readout and not a crop. I have an a6300 and 10 bit is what i don't have and several times can hit a wall (or a sky ;) ). If the full sensor can be read in ana mode, then the same field of view I already do with my lenses on apsc can be on the gh5 sensor (when composing 2.66:1 or 2.40:1).

Rolling shutter is certainly a bonus... if auto focus and ibis where important for me I would be an a6500 owner.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I placed an order minutes after the preorders came online, but after I watched all the GH5 AF tests I canceled it. The occasional back & forth hunting looks so bad in a video that it will deter me from using it at all. On most other aspects GH5 is a great camera, but I am so used to the very good AF from A7rII that is some times great to have. 

Moreover I wasn't convinced that I can get better color out of the camera from the GH5 compared to the A7rii with a custom profile. It would be great if panasonic allowed custom LUTs to be burned in in camera, which would allow for extreme customizations with very little post work necessary.  

Personally I'll be waiting to see more footage out of this camera. 

Because I'm still addicted and in love with my NX1. I work in stills and movies and it's very strong in both. I love how my clients are always blown out by the colors and details from the image straight out of the camera.

And also because I have never been a big fan of GHx color science or noise management (I find the image never clean enough for my taste).

I don't really like speed boosters because you usually lose some AF speed, and also it's expensive. First low light tests I have seen haven't blown me away. I'm not saying I'll never be interested in the GH5, but I have never been a camera "early adopter". 

• Administrators

Shot with it yesterday and it's impressive. Colour is much better, you can tell it is 4:2:2 and 10bit. You've all been looking at badly graded V-LOG on YouTube at tiny bitrates compressed to 8bit 4:2:0.

The only downside of the 10bit files is they are hard to edit natively.

I can see a lot of transcoding to ProRes ahead.

ProRes would have been a much more suitable codec than H.264 on a camera with the GH5's performance... But the quality is there in spades. Amazing saturation and realism, super smooth feel to the files.

I'm just shooting on Standard BTW.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Shot with it yesterday and it's impressive. Colour is much better, you can tell it is 4:2:2 and 10bit. You've all been looking at badly graded V-LOG on YouTube at tiny bitrates compressed to 8bit 4:2:0.

The only downside of the 10bit files is they are hard to edit natively.

I can see a lot of transcoding to ProRes ahead.

ProRes would have been a much more suitable codec than H.264 on a camera with the GH5's performance... But the quality is there in spades. Amazing saturation and realism, super smooth feel to the files.

I'm just shooting on Standard BTW.

Nice to hear that. Can't wait to get my hands on it (moved to the US before the GH5 arrived in Europe, lol).
Can you try if the Dynamic Range is better using Portrait mode (my goto if I don't have any time to colorgrade footage on the GH4)? It seems that highlights blow out incredibly fast on the GH5 compared to the GH4 or people don't know what they're doing, lol...

Excited? Yes and not.

The GH5 spec are impresive, the image apperars to be very good, buuuuuut this is not 2014, there are more options, more 4K cameras with good video and specs too.

NX500, NX1, GH4, A7, etc...

And it´s a 2.000€ camera, I want one but I need to pay it and paided works are bad for me :(

Maybe in a future

6 minutes ago, Herbert Massey said:

Glad to hear you like it, Andrew. I need something to replace my NX1. It's always a mixed bag with a new camera. Another person I trust said it was on par with the A7sII color wise and just as hard to arrive at a pleasant grade. 

I actually trust Kholi as well, but not this time. Comparing V-Log to S-Log on the A7sII? C'mon... 
If it is nearly as good as V-Log on the GH4 it'll put the A7sII to shame in terms of color science.

Watch my showreel to see what I mean:

Almost 99% internal V-Log!

And yes, I've been using the a7sII quite a lot, always struggeling with the color, even using different profiles and combinations (such as Cine4, Slog2/3 SGamut 3.cine/3/2 etc). On the GH4 I just hit the portrait profile with:
Contrast 0
Sharpening -5
NR -5
Saturation -2
Hue 1

And it looks almost identical to the color corrected RAW output of the FS5...

There's one little missing feature on GH5 that makes me really sad because otherwise it would be close to perfect tool: there's no internal 10-bit 1080p60 for 4:3 mode. That feature can make GH5 really special for me. But since that option is missing even in planned fw updates - im looking toward X-T2 (much better photo camera, better low-light and color science and rock solid 8bit 1080p60) or BM Micro if i chose to split photo and video for different body. Also waiting for what Sony would offer.

9 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

There's one little missing feature on GH5 that makes me really sad because otherwise it would be close to perfect tool: there's no internal 10-bit 1080p60 for 4:3 mode. That feature can make GH5 really special for me. But since that option is missing even in planned fw updates - im looking toward X-T2 (much better photo camera, better low-light and color science and rock solid 8bit 1080p60) or BM Micro if i chose to split photo and video for different body. Also waiting for what Sony would offer.

Why not using the 6k Photomode in 4:3 instead which IS 10 bit 420 instead?

Besides the colorscience I only see drawbacks to the GH5 as a filmmaker...

Oh gotcha. The 4k Photomode is 60p, 4:3 or 3:2 and probably 10bit as well, there haven't been any files to download and analyze for me yet.

Nice reel, deezid! I was trying to leave names out of it ;), but yes he wasn't thrilled with his first hands on. He and Mac seem to really favor the X-T20. I agree that Fuji has nice color.

I'd like to get out of the NX1 soon.

The prerequisites for me:

1. 10 bit. I always said I'd buy the first 10 bit DSLR.

2. Get into currently produced camera line - the NX1 was / is niche and makes no sense investing more money into it. I need some autofocusing lenses for gimbal work and the odd sporting event.

11 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Just like any new camera I'll be waiting for the hysteria to die down and for detailed tests and reviews to be published before I even consider it.

I totally agree, and to be honest, I am not going to spend $2,000 plus $700 metabones for this setup, I am far more excited for the C-log in 5d mark iv with a reduction in the crop factor, if that happen I am going to break my account to get that camera, hope not to spend some time in jail... :)

2 hours ago, Santiago de la Rosa said:

Excited? Yes and not.

The GH5 spec are impresive, the image apperars to be very good, buuuuuut this is not 2014, there are more options, more 4K cameras with good video and specs too.

NX500, NX1, GH4, A7, etc...

And it´s a 2.000€ camera, I want one but I need to pay it and paided works are bad for me :(

Maybe in a future

But you do realize that both Samsung cameras have not been in production for some time and they've exited the market entirely, right? Not too many people are rushing out for an orphaned camera. 

BTW, I too had an NX1 and besides its quirkiness (poor AF, spontaneous shutdowns etc.), I loved it.

2 hours ago, deezid said:

I actually trust Kholi as well, but not this time. Comparing V-Log to S-Log on the A7sII? C'mon... 
If it is nearly as good as V-Log on the GH4 it'll put the A7sII to shame in terms of color science.

And yes, I've been using the a7sII quite a lot, always struggeling with the color, even using different profiles and combinations (such as Cine4, Slog2/3 SGamut 3.cine/3/2 etc). On the GH4 I just hit the portrait profile with:
Contrast 0
Sharpening -5
NR -5
Saturation -2
Hue 1

Man, you have to do a tutorial on grading V log! Amazing!

29 minutes ago, 64mulford said:

Man, you have to do a tutorial on grading V log! Amazing!

I second that. But @64mulford,  you must put deezid at @deezid,  so he can recognize our plead much better! :)

I reposted deezids Americanah trailer in the GX85 thread to show among other posters, how awesome Panasonic Lumix material can look.

Can´t wait to see Andrew´s footage with this powerhouse the GH5 must be. 400mbps will offer perfect quality

for indy and documentary shooters, if GH5 has the same high standard of quality control/mangagement, which the

production of the GH4 had.

It's basically adding lots of saturation, then contrast using curves (find a proper black value using the waveform!), shifting the hues (bright green a bit to yellow, yellow a bit to orange, orange slightly to red, red a bit to magenta), desaturating shadows and highlights, desaturating bright oranges (helps for skintones as well), pushing gray or low saturation mid and dark tones (not black though, leave dark skin color the way it is!) to teal a bit, adding a bit of grain.

That's it basically. :D 

5 hours ago, deezid said:

Contrast 0
Sharpening -5
NR -5
Saturation -2
Hue 1

Dude wtf!!!! Nice work. So this is all v-log in you're reel??? Give me some pointers on your setup with the Gh4. Your work is nice.