Which cameras don't have 30-minute limit, and can be powered with USB battery bank?

photographer-at-large

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

This pack contains a dummy battery for GH4 that you can connect to a rechargeable power bank that outputs 9v

Alternatively most recent Panasonic camcorders can be USB powered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-Replacement-Panasonic-DMW-AC8EB-DMW-DCC12/dp/B00EF7J91U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490548051&sr=1-2&keywords=gh4+power

The Sony A6500 can be powered via USB (but then you can't use a remote, there is only one USB port). The 30 min limit can easily be removed with open memories tweak, and the overheating shutdown can be overridden in the menu (in a test they had it record for an hour in midday sun). I have that checked, but to be honest: I'd never record for more than, say, 20 minutes, because it gets very hot. Can't be healthy for the sensor ...

For me it isn't about recording time

it is about trekking for 1 week in the mountains without any power source and without the wish to bring 10 batteries with me. 

One 20.000 mah powerbank will charge camera, phone, gps... 

Also the convenience of' not bringing a dedicated charger while traveling. 

This is really bummer. I can't get how they can fuck up something so easy to not fuck up. Frustrating. 

Well I am still receiving mine but might return it after testing it in Patagonia 

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

For me it isn't about recording time

it is about trekking for 1 week in the mountains without any power source and without the wish to bring 10 batteries with me. 

One 20.000 mah powerbank will charge camera, phone, gps... 

Also the convenience of' not bringing a dedicated charger while traveling. 

This is really bummer. I can't get how they can fuck up something so easy to not fuck up. Frustrating. 

Well I am still receiving mine but might return it after testing it in Patagonia 

The dummy battery solution will let you do that though as long as your rechargeable power bank can output 9v as well as USB.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Lanparte-Coupler-Battery-Panasonic-DMC-GH3/B00LHNBF08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490621048&sr=8-2&keywords=gh4+dummy+battery

If you want to take a couple of batteries that you can recharge off the USB port of the power bank as well then these are ideal 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newmowa-Charger-Panasonic-DMW-BLF19-DMC-GH3/dp/B00Z65W732/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490621097&sr=8-2&keywords=gh4+usb+charger

I have sets of these for most of my different camera types velcroed into a tray running off a multi output USB charger so I can be charging all of them off one outlet.

Then when I'm going away its just a question of pulling the right chargers out of the tray and I can recharge batteries off the usb outlet of my laptop or a regular iPhone charger. Saves a ton of space and hassle.

• Super Members

Exhibit A !

8 chargers for simultaneous charging of 16 batteries with storage for charged and need charging, all off one mains outlet and fits in a tray the size of a kitchen drawer.

They all sit on a strip of velcro so can be detached easily for travel.

Total cost was around £90 with an average of about £9 per battery charger and I think roughly £25 for the USB distributor and cables. Plus £2 for the plastic tray obviously! 

It was worth it for the lack of clutter alone and having to root through bags to find chargers and batteries all the time.

DSCF2204.jpg

DSCF2197.jpg

58 minutes ago, NX1user said:

NX1 with the KS hack has no limit. I power mine off a USB battery all the time.

That is not true, after 73 minutes, the file gets corrupted, and it is kind of tricky (even impossible) to fix it later, so the NX cameras are 73minutes cameras per file.