Trying to match the 5d mk IV and DJI Osmo

hmcindie

We shot a little chase scene just as a test to try and see how we could match the 5d mark IV and the DJI Osmo. It's... possible though the look you can achieve with the Osmo is pretty much like a GoPro on a gimbal. Second time using the 5dmkIV for me, this time we used wifi to get the image to our phone with the Canon Connect tool. Then you can focus on the phone screen by tapping it. I was surprised by how well it worked, there was some lag etc but it was usable. Anyone else here used those wifi tools where you can see the image and focus on your phone? There is surprisingly little talk of it anywhere.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

A refreshingly violent camera test that !

I've been using the Camranger system for a few years to set up behind the goal cameras for football matches. The max tripod height you can use is 10cm so its a massive plus to not have to lie on the usually wet ground to frame the shot and it also wirelessly sends the images to the laptop so you don't have to wait till half or full time to retrieve your images and wire them.

I've also been using the Panasonic app this week with the G7 for vlogging stuff  and its a boon for people like me that are too blind to see the fold out screen when they're doing a piece to camera and too vain to wear their glasses on screen. Oh and for setting exposure and all that stuff as well.

The app is good with cameras like FZ1000 with servo zoom as you can control that as well. Panasonic actually do a remote pan/tilt head that can be controlled by it as well for the full PTZ experience but for reasons best known to themselves it only works with a really limited range of their camcorders.

The Osmo Plus is good in that respect as with the zoom it does make a decent little remote system if you stick it on a tripod. Which is a bit arse backwards for a gimbal but there you go.

22 hours ago, hmcindie said:

We shot a little chase scene just as a test to try and see how we could match the 5d mark IV and the DJI Osmo. It's... possible though the look you can achieve with the Osmo is pretty much like a GoPro on a gimbal. Second time using the 5dmkIV for me, this time we used wifi to get the image to our phone with the Canon Connect tool. Then you can focus on the phone screen by tapping it. I was surprised by how well it worked, there was some lag etc but it was usable. Anyone else here used those wifi tools where you can see the image and focus on your phone? There is surprisingly little talk of it anywhere.

Excellent!!!, real talent here, I see you matched them very well, what was the most difficult trying to match those two cameras?, any recommendation for someone trying to do something similar?

18 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

I see you matched them very well, what was the most difficult trying to match those two cameras?, any recommendation for someone trying to do something similar?

Yes! Use their plusses and weaknesses to match them! So the DJI Osmo is a wide-angle gopro and the best parts of the 5d mkIV is the depth-of-field and cinematic 4k. Completely opposite. So all the wide angle tracking shots were left for the DJI Osmo while the 5d mk IV took a more gritty approach (handheld, more teleshots). That way I didn't have to match shot-to-shot (like for example an over the shoulder shot to another with a different cam, which would be more difficult).

I also added a bit of distortion to the gopro shots (wide angle lens distortion to "mimic" anamorphic lenses slightly) also added grain to everything to hide some differences. 

4 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Yes! Use their plusses and weaknesses to match them! So the DJI Osmo is a wide-angle gopro and the best parts of the 5d mkIV is the depth-of-field and cinematic 4k. Completely opposite. So all the wide angle tracking shots were left for the DJI Osmo while the 5d mk IV took a more gritty approach (handheld, more teleshots). That way I didn't have to match shot-to-shot (like for example an over the shoulder shot to another with a different cam, which would be more difficult).

I also added a bit of distortion to the gopro shots (wide angle lens distortion to "mimic" anamorphic lenses slightly) also added grain to everything to hide some differences. 

Thanks for the tip!...by the way, which Osmo was used, Osmo original or Osmo Plus?