Tips and tricks for new Panasonic GH5 owners

Andrew Reid

Well we will never know for sure, and yep taking one frame from a whole damn video and examining it as a whole is pretty crazy I will admit.

But it bought back some funny memories, and that was worth it. It was a fun crew I worked with, and overall a damn talented group of people. Some were scary talented!

Either way she is a beautiful women, and that comes across in the grade.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Any tips on exposing Vlog? Read too much about how to overexpose SLOG, but what's the case with the V-LOG L?

Exposing V Log on the GH5 should be a lot easier than on the GH4. It took me a while to nail the exposure, but i would first look at the exp meter and get it near 0. Block out any super highlighted areas with your finger and look at the meter again. The highlight rolloff is better in V Log than standard so you can expose a bit to the right to avoid shadow noise.

Having a LUT preview for V Log in the GH5 is a huge help. You should be able to eyeball the exposure with no troubles.

2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Exposing V Log on the GH5 should be a lot easier than on the GH4. It took me a while to nail the exposure, but i would first look at the exp meter and get it near 0. Block out any super highlighted areas with your finger and look at the meter again. The highlight rolloff is better in V Log than standard so you can expose a bit to the right to avoid shadow noise.

Having a LUT preview for V Log in the GH5 is a huge help. You should be able to eyeball the exposure with no troubles.

@AaronChicago....I remember your early stuff you shot on the GH4 and you seemed to have no problem making beautiful work with it (in VLog!)...I still have one GH2 lol...I love my Gh4's too...never did get the 3 though and excited about 5!

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

DSC00087.jpg

Looks funny when the shutter speed value slot is empty in the most sophisticated Panasonic system camera. It just dont want to tell it.

Even with GH5 we must go to photo mode to find out what the shutter speed may be when starting video.

3 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@AaronChicago....I remember your early stuff you shot on the GH4 and you seemed to have no problem making beautiful work with it (in VLog!)...I still have one GH2 lol...I love my Gh4's too...never did get the 3 though and excited about 5!

Thanks man. I think I'm going to trade up for the GH5. I use my UM46K most of the time now but I still love using the GH4 for various shoots.

• Super Members
19 hours ago, jonpais said:

I thought the same as you, but I believe they are pink flowers. And her face is merely reflecting the pink light from them. So it may be that a secondary color correction would be needed to correct for her face. But if she isn't sitting still, it wouldn't be necessary. So that's another danger of just looking at a screen grab from a moving image.

If you balance off the concrete post on the right, the flowers do seem to be a pale pink.

GH5-VELVIA.jpg

ANDREW REID: "OK first of all, assuming you might use manual focus sometimes, or often, let’s get that punch-in focus assist working which is absolutely mega on the GH5 – the highest frame rate and resolution I’ve ever seen for a punch-in focus assist."

Do you mean that punch-in focus magnification (aka MF Assist) works on the GH5 WHILE/DURING recording video? The GH5 would be the first Panasonic camera (including expensive dedicated video cameras) that would support this feature. It would be really awesome. So, again, do you say that after you start recording on the GH5, you can activate MF Assist and monitor focus while the camera is recording video? This function is pretty common on all Sony cameras, but not on any other make. 

Thank you so much.

29 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Andrew, can you only load LUTs when shooting in V-Log? Can you load your ProColor LUT when shooting in a baked-in profile?

yes you can only load luts through activated vlog

what settings are people using for auto focus for video?...afs, afc, aff? face recgonition or 255 points

and what about peaking?...peakingset to low or high?

Got the GH5 today!

First shots in 4K 50p look absolutely stunning.

I have also messed around a bit with the VFR. I tried some shots at 180 fps. Very cool. That's like 7.8 times slower than real life isn't it? Quite amazing.

I noticed though that the screen doesn't show the actual exposure before recording in the VFR mode. It shows the image way brighter than it actually is. It's until after you press the record button, that the screen shots the actual exposure.

This doesn't happen in any other recording mode as I have put the option 'constant preview'. Anyone knows if it is possible to change this?

Yeah, that orange is bouncing from something, most likely her hair.

What makes it look terrible is the not-so-smooth gradation - it's sharp edged, blocky.

There is no doubt the sensor is great, colours are great, 10bit is great, but the 150Mbps for 4K 10bit is just too much. I think so, anyway.