What am I Doing Wrong?

jonpais

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, jcs said:

You should be able to use H.264 with YouTube- I use PP CC with YouTube H.264 settings and it works OK.

Yes, that's what I've been using all these years. But back in the day, I had problems with desaturated colors, and x264 worked. I haven't used x264 in a long time though, since I haven't experienced desaturation with my mirrorless cameras when edited in FCP and uploaded to YouTube.

@jonpais the problem has reappeared unfortunately. I tried uploading a master myself instead of choosing export directly from FCPX. At first it looks like it should, but after a while Chrome ads it's magic to the image. I checked your latest video in both Safari and Chrome and it's the same as before. 

As for quality I didn't notice any difference between master and direct from FCPX which I usually use. 

11 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

MPEG Streamclip has always done some color mess ups. So yeah, ditch that thing already (isn't it really old too?) Bitrate is what determines file sizes so if you want those 2gb files, just lower your bitrate.

I'm currently reuploading around fifty or so of my older clips to YouTube, just using the Master File.

9 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

@jonpais the problem has reappeared unfortunately. I tried uploading a master myself instead of choosing export directly from FCPX. At first it looks like it should, but after a while Chrome ads it's magic to the image. I checked your latest video in both Safari and Chrome and it's the same as before. 

As for quality I didn't notice any difference between master and direct from FCPX which I usually use. 

OMG. The clips I reuploaded last night with the Master File still look the same this evening, no more crimson, close to the originals. In Safari, anyhow. On my iMac and MBPr Touch Bar. Well, maybe it is a little more red, but the earlier one looked like I needed to be checked into the burns ward. Here's the master file again and the master file uploaded to YouTube and seen on Safari.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 6.55.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 6.55.22 PM.png

9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'm currently reuploading around fifty or so of my older clips to YouTube, just using the Master File.

OMG. The clips I reuploaded last night with the Master File still look the same this evening, no more crimson, close to the originals. In Safari, anyhow. On my iMac and MBPr Touch Bar.Cab

Can you check on Chrome?

Did you see the oversaturated reds in Safari before? Just curios as I never had that problem in Safari.

3 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Can you check on Chrome?

Did you see the oversaturated reds in Safari before? Just curios as I never had that problem in Safari.

I think I MAY have noticed it before, but didn't give it much thought. But when I've got my ugly mug staring at me for 5 minutes and I look like I've been sitting on the beach all day with no sunscreen... Sorry, I don't use Google Chrome. Anyway, something is destroying the color, in the red channel anyhow.

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I think I MAY have noticed it before, but didn't give it much thought. But when I've got my ugly mug staring at me for 5 minutes and I look like I've been sitting on the beach all day with no sunscreen... Sorry, I don't use Google Chrome. Anyway, something is destroying the color, in the red channel anyhow.

Ahh, ok. I used Chrome for a while, but I don't use it for youtube anymore as they fuck up the color (see the images on page 1). 

What's shit about this is when you're trying to make the image look as good as you can and then other people watches it on Chrome and it looks a lot worse than it should. 

9 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Ahh, ok. I used Chrome for a while, but I don't use it for youtube anymore as they fuck up the color (see the images on page 1). 

What's shit about this is when you're trying to make the image look as good as you can and then other people watches it on Chrome and it looks a lot worse than it should. 

Exactly! And my best is still not good enough. :( I should just go for the ever-popular marshmallow look and stop worrying so much. All due respect to Dan Watson, he's a cool fellow!

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 7.16.28 PM.png

38 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Exactly! And my best is still not good enough. :( I should just go for the ever-popular marshmallow look and stop worrying so much. All due respect to Dan Watson, he's a cool fellow!

Your videos look good to me. I don't think you need to worry to much, but I think you should give the marsmallow look a try! Maybe you will like it?

18 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The only problem with that look as I see it, is that his face, the microphone, the desktop the monitor all have virtually the same appearance.

It looks better on Chrome ;) A little more contrasty. Maybe that's the trick, go for the pale look and let Chrome take of the rest. 

The most ridiculous part is that both Chrome and Youtube are Google companies. If anything they should be able to make it look better than Safari, not worse!