Can anyone explain this mystery??!?

tomsemiterrific

A bit over a month and a half ago I took my NEW Panasonic G85 to Ft. Worth to the Botanical Gardens to shoot some video--it was an early spring day and some trees were flowering.

As I was shooting I looked at the LCD and to my astonishment I saw several tiny whitish/greenish dots scattered randomly on the LCD.

I looked into the EVF and everything looked normal. Returning home I checked the footage loaded into Final Cut. The footage looked fine--but the LCD still had the scattering of dots. They seem to all be only in the LCD.  Footage continues to look fine.

A bit over a week ago I bought a Sony a6500. I shot several days with it and it worked great. Today I took the Sony to the very same Botanical Gardens in Ft. Worth--with spring bursting out all over. I shot for a about an hour and a half--and looking down at my LCD----there were the same kind of dots on the LCD.

I stopped at the camera shop where I purchased it in Arlington, TX. Before seeing the LCD they were sure it was dead pixels--but after seeing it they were completely bamboozled. They had never seen anything like it. 

Returning home I checked the EVF and every thing looked normal--but the dots on the LCD were still there. I loaded the clips into Final Cut and the footage was clean--perfect, just as I had shot it--no dots, Gott sei Dank!

Like the Panasonic, the dots on the Sony seem to be completely limited to the LCD--on BOTH cameras.  It's strange the dots showed up at the same place I commonly shoot in Ft. Worth. 

Note carefully; this area, the Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens, is a place I've shot video for six or seven years---with a variety of cams and no problem....EVER!

I did two screen shots each of the Pani and Sony LCDs and combined them in InDesign so you could compare them in one image.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I haven't. Is there a remedy? Can anyone explain this mystery---the same inexplicable thing happening to two fine cameras--both new---and in such a short time? And above all else---does anyone know what exactly it is that has happened?

LCD photos.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's not frigging funny--these are two cams that are not cheap--and they're both new.

How do I know if the damage is permanent when I don't even know what the damage is? I only know the effect, the dots and specks, and fortunately, the effects are only in the LCD and the real purpose for the cam, the footage it produces, seems perfectly fine--beautiful even, with no sign of the dots and specks.

The issue has just happened to the Sony. But the issue with the Panasonic that happened over a month ago seems to be stable...and image quality in footage is fine.

This is totally bizarre.

You may want to think and find a common thing for these two events which may be different than in your normal shooting situations. Like solving a crime scene. Did you use a camera bag with some electronic device with magnetic field or things with sharp edges , did you do something new and specific with these two cameras. Do you have some sharp metallic edges in your coat which may damage LCD when hanging in neck. Have you red the manual trouble shooting. Can you reproduce this issue with some old camera. What may generally cause white pixels in LCD. Try googling the issue.

Had a look around Google and it could be a fungus or mould. Various people suggest trying something called a UVC sanitizer wand - something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Verilux-CleanWave-Portable-Sanitizing-Travel/dp/B00144I3ZU/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490088025&sr=8-1&keywords=uv+sanitizer.

I guess it's perfectly possible that there's something in the air at that location that hasn't been there other times you've visited.

I can see this is pushing creative thinking to the brink. The fact is they are doing a lot of construction and planting to prepare for the summer or as a part of the planned expansion of the gardens, and there is an area I took both camera--and noticed the problem after that---but the LCD was covered with a viewfinder on both camera--I was shooting hand held, and I never bag the camera.What's more the sensor was covered by a speed booster the entire time--but the sensors seem fine--nice and clean, so it's not even a part of the equation. Really, there's nothing at all I did that is different from what I've done for years. It's frigging crazy!

The white specks are odd shaped, randomly placed, and seem to be inside the LCDs---not on the outside surface like some kind of mold. The EVF shows the image perfectly---and as long as the video is not affected I'm content to live with it as long as it doesn't metastasize--but I sure would like to know how the hell this happened and what it actually is--and if anyone else has seen anything like it. I've owed a number of cameras and been shooting for quite a while, and I've never seen anything like this on one camera--let alone two of two different brands, which are both new---really new--- and well cared for. And besides, I always thought the LCDs were sealed. Right?

PS: Love the a6500--would love it more in a better body with a larger battery.

5 hours ago, Kingswell said:

This could be a case for Mulder and Scully.  

There was a smoking man I noticed hanging around the begonias.

I haven't been to any botanical garden but I'm pretty sure I got the same issue with my bmpcc lcd. There are two specks.

thingies.jpg

They are only visible when the camera is powered. I took the camera unprotected in a backpack with me, so I suspect it was caused by something scratching the surface and somehow damaging the innerpart of the screen as nothing is visible on the outside when not powered.

Since then I'm more carefull and I don't even notice them anymore.

9 minutes ago, bunk said:

I haven't been to any botanical garden but I'm pretty sure I got the same issue with my bmpcc lcd. There are two specks.

thingies.jpg

They are only visible when the camera is powered. I took the camera unprotected in a backpack with me, so I suspect it was caused by something scratching the surface and somehow damaging the innerpart of the screen as nothing is visible on the outside when not powered.

Yikes that one on the left looks like a baby Tape Worm!!!

11 hours ago, bunk said:

thingies.jpg

Those look very similar. But with both my cams the LCDs were totally protected and covered by viewfinders--they weren't even exposed to  sunlight. So, I'm not all that sure any damage I might have exposed the camera to resulted in this issue--and my guess is you did nothing to harm yours either. Thanks for commenting. At least now I know I'm not alone.

1 hour ago, aldolega said:

You used viewfinders/loupes on both cameras? Out on a sunny day?

They're burns, from the loupe optics concentrating the sun onto the screen.

Like a kid burning ants with a magnifying glass.

There's a reason all the nicer loupes/viewfinders have caps on them- to keep this from happening.

Oops, I did do some test with a thread loupe. Might explain it never got worse, thanks!

16 hours ago, aldolega said:

You used viewfinders/loupes on both cameras? Out on a sunny day?

They're burns, from the loupe optics concentrating the sun onto the screen.

Like a kid burning ants with a magnifying glass.

There's a reason all the nicer loupes/viewfinders have caps on them- to keep this from happening.

Do you know this for sure---or have you seen things like this before?

Either way this is the best explanation I've heard so far---in fact, it's the only explanation I've seen. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Vesku said:

Is it possible that EVF gets the same burns if the sun burns through EVF optics?

I have a self made cap in my GH4 EVF.

Not sure, the optical formula for an EVF would be different than a loupe. A cap is probably a smart precaution.

20 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Do you know this for sure---or have you seen things like this before?

Either way this is the best explanation I've heard so far---in fact, it's the only explanation I've seen. Thanks.

No problem. I have indeed seen this, I have a SmallHD DP4 that I got for really cheap because this happened to the previous owner. It has a 2-3mm white spot in the middle of the screen but works fine otherwise.