No swing out screen, try this

kevindba

I have an NX1 without swingout screen and a FZ1000 and love the swingout screen on the Panasonic.  Just figured out a solution and would like to share.  Pair your smartphone with your camera and use a hotshoe on top of the camera and you can swivel now at will.

https://www.amazon.com/RetiCAM-Smartphone-Mounting-Kit-Conversion/dp/B00NEDCCNS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1489971893&sr=8-16&keywords=phone+hotshoe+mount

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How do you connect the NX1 to the phone? This allegedly works with Canon DSLRs through USB. I tried the WiFi connection for my A6500 (smart remote app), and the *lag* is actually tolerable (snipping my fingers). But if I pan, the image changes so fast hat it freezes on the phone's screen. A shame, because I really need an external monitor for gimbal shooting outside, when the camera's display, swivelling or not, is way too poorly lit. I don't want to buy a bulky field monitor (even a smallHD would add too much unnecessary weight and trouble with the wiring, let alone expenses). There should be a way to feed the phone with an HDMI signal, but there isn't. I would gladly buy video goggles like for copter FPV, but the lack of any reports on this for gimbal work makes me fear (another) mispurchase ....

On 3/20/2017 at 5:06 AM, Axel said:

How do you connect the NX1 to the phone? This allegedly works with Canon DSLRs through USB. I tried the WiFi connection for my A6500 (smart remote app), and the *lag* is actually tolerable (snipping my fingers). But if I pan, the image changes so fast hat it freezes on the phone's screen. A shame, because I really need an external monitor for gimbal shooting outside, when the camera's display, swivelling or not, is way too poorly lit. I don't want to buy a bulky field monitor (even a smallHD would add too much unnecessary weight and trouble with the wiring, let alone expenses). There should be a way to feed the phone with an HDMI signal, but there isn't. I would gladly buy video goggles like for copter FPV, but the lack of any reports on this for gimbal work makes me fear (another) mispurchase ....

Okay, this looks like the said Smart Remote app from Sony. Two questions: 

> will touchscreen focus work when recording video (doesn't with Sony, on the phone only for stills)?

> does the image refresh constantly when you *pan* the camera (as I said, it freezes with the Sony, which makes the whole thing unusable)?