Blog Comments - Switronix TorchLED BOLT variable temperature LED light review

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Switronix TorchLED BOLT LED light

See the full specs of the Switronix TorchLED BOLT and accessories here

LEDs are in my opinion the future of cinema lighting. Until now though I've not been too satisfied with the throw of light they produce. Too short, too directional and the character of the light isn't the most flattering. The BOLT has been designed with input from filmmakers and contains two sets of LEDs of different temperatures and you can mix the temperatures.

What's it like?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I like these lights quite a bit. Have been using them for maybe 8 months now. I know Switronix sells them with an f970 battery and charger in some countries - it's worth noting that with the supplied charger, it can take AN ENTIRE DAY to charge up a battery from 0%. Well over 8 hours. So, if you need these for a fairly fast paced environment, you may want to give some thought to power solutions.

Also, they occasionally go on sale, and the price does seem to be dropping. Last year B&H had a black friday sale on them. At the time, they were at their full msrp ($379) and discounted to $259.

• Administrators

RX100 sorry, great little camera. I get confused as usually the model with the larger number is the higher end one. Don't have the RX1, video is moire & aliasing hell on it and they TOOK OUT peaking. Ridiculous!

RX100 sorry, great little camera. I get confused as usually the model with the larger number is the higher end one. Don't have the RX1, video is moire & aliasing hell on it and they TOOK OUT peaking. Ridiculous!

That's a shame, I love the RX100 but would love it even more with a bigger sensor, like the RX1.

The fixed lens is kind of limiting, but if the quality (both stills and video) was up there with the price, I could consider looking for a good deal, I guess I don't have that hard decision to make anymore! :)

Maybe they will get it right with an APS-C sensor RX10...