'New' Canon SL1 / 100D and T5i / 700D fail to excite

Andrew Reid

Andrew! EOSHD! 

According to CNET preview - 3x digital zoom crop mode is returned in 700D!!!

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-eos-rebel-t5i/4505-6501_7-35642128.html

It is great news so it makes 700D worth upgrade/newcamera for 550D/650D/60D users.

And 600D users can have cleaner ISO with 700D's DIGIC V, without lose of crop-mode useful feature.

So, you can change your article to more positive :) or write new with updated info.

I'd still need to see proof of cleaner ISO.

Plus I usually turn off in camera NR and denoise in post. Plus Magic Lantern let's me shoot at higher bitrates, meaning noise is easier to remove.

So any worthwhile comparison between the two would need to be stock 700D vs 600D denoised in post with Neat Video from ML high bitrate files, for example.Until that, no sale.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd still need to see proof of cleaner ISO.

Plus I usually turn off in camera NR and denoise in post. Plus Magic Lantern let's me shoot at higher bitrates, meaning noise is easier to remove.

So any worthwhile comparison between the two would need to be stock 700D vs 600D denoised in post with Neat Video from ML high bitrate files, for example.Until that, no sale.

There is no any ways to turn off in-camera video NR in Canon cameras (and Panasonic too).

Here is proof of cleaner ISO with DIGIC V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjzwXiX250

(I know, it is not correct to compare ISO with Youtube-compressed videos, but it is obvious even with Youtube 1080p blurry compression. In original files it will be even more obvious)

• Administrators

Tomekk - I see your posts and don't see the logic in them to be honest.

The 650D was a step back from the 600D in both build quality and features.

So the 700D has the crop mode back. Great. That means the 700D is actually the 600D with a new badge, 2 years later!

Is this progress, really?

My review of the 700D would be very short, in fact - I'll do it now.

EOSHD 700D Review

The Panasonic GH3 out performs it in every way and offers more features for a modest $400 more. The Nikon D5200 doesn't suffer from moire and aliasing and has better image quality in both stills and video mode than the 700D, video on that camera is on par with the $3000 5D Mark III yet it is a $800 camera, an almost identical price point as the 700D.

Those who require a Canon DSLR and have a bunch of EFS lenses can save the money and get the almost identical 600D. The new DIGIC 5 processor brings no new video functionality or image quality.

ENDS

And if the image quality is somehow miraculously good with the same sensor and processor as before I shall eat my words. There's no way Canon will allow this camera to be better than the 6D, 5D Mark III or (especially) the upcoming 7D Mark II.

Tomekk - I see your posts and don't see the logic in them to be honest.

The 650D was a step back from the 600D in both build quality and features.

So the 700D has the crop mode back. Great. That means the 700D is actually the 600D with a new badge, 2 years later!

Is this progress, really?

My review of the 700D would be very short, in fact - I'll do it now.

EOSHD 700D Review

The Panasonic GH3 out performs it in every way and offers more features for a modest $400 more. The Nikon D5200 doesn't suffer from moire and aliasing and has better image quality in both stills and video mode than the 700D, video on that camera is on par with the $3000 5D Mark III yet it is a $800 camera, an almost identical price point as the 700D.

Those who require a Canon DSLR and have a bunch of EFS lenses can save the money and get the almost identical 600D. The new DIGIC 5 processor brings no new video functionality or image quality.

ENDS

And if the image quality is somehow miraculously good with the same sensor and processor as before I shall eat my words. There's no way Canon will allow this camera to be better than the 6D, 5D Mark III or (especially) the upcoming 7D Mark II.

Never said above is not true. I was talking about business economics in general.

The new DIGIC 5 processor brings no new video functionality or image quality.

EOSHD, again and again - just watch video (check that it is 1080p quality) I posted above to see difference in low light ability. Where DIGIC 4 looks noisy, DIGIC 5 looks more usable.

And I don't get it why you don't consider ML features as Canon's advantages. There is no any Nikon or Panasonic camera with focus peaking, zebras etc. There is HDR video and precise audio control (even headphone monitoring for all models). Great timelapse features. Canon also capable of high bitrate (I get ~160mbps with sound) and ALL-I modes with ML. And a lot more...

For me it seems that you just hate Canon cameras, and that's why you see only negative sides.

EOSHD, again and again - just watch video (check that it is 1080p quality) I posted above to see difference in low light ability. Where DIGIC 4 looks noisy, DIGIC 5 looks more usable.
And I don't get it why you don't consider ML features as Canon's advantages. There is no any Nikon or Panasonic camera with focus peaking, zebras etc. There is HDR video and precise audio control (even headphone monitoring for all models). Great timelapse features. Canon also capable of high bitrate (I get ~160mbps with sound) and ALL-I modes with ML. And a lot more...
For me it seems that you just hate Canon cameras, and that's why you see only negative sides.

Well, if he hated Canon he wouldn't have called his blog "EOShd", would he? :-)
Please tell me, which Canon DSLR has focus peaking, zebras and 160 Mbps?

There is no any ways to turn off in-camera video NR in Canon cameras (and Panasonic too).

Here is proof of cleaner ISO with DIGIC V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqjzwXiX250

(I know, it is not correct to compare ISO with Youtube-compressed videos, but it is obvious even with Youtube 1080p blurry compression. In original files it will be even more obvious)

Really? Do the setting not affect video? I must admit I haven't tested...

Cleaner or not, I still prefer having higher bitrate so noise is easier to separate in post with something like Neat Video. Unless of course they get upped bitrates onto Digic V, then it'll be the best of both worlds.

After chucking the conversation around, consensus seems to be that if the next XD model (7D MKii, something like that) doesn't make any significant improvements (new sensor etc, APSC good video) they'll be really pushing it! 

I know videographers are still a smaller market than stills, but not for much longer, and even the stills people are disappointed.

Anyone remember the Wonder Camera? They do believe that video is the future of stills, but evidentyly they're gonna rinse us all on the way there: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009746-1.html

• 2 months later...

Andrew! EOSHD! 

According to CNET preview - 3x digital zoom crop mode is returned in 700D!!!

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-eos-rebel-t5i/4505-6501_7-35642128.html

I'm sorry but it seems, that 3x crop mode was only in pre-production model :(

I see no mention on 3x crop mode in reviews (and Dave Dugdale checked that there is no crop mode).

Saved copy of preview with 3x crop mode mention is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130510142214/http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-eos-rebel-t5i/4505-6501_7-35642128.html