'New' Canon SL1 / 100D and T5i / 700D fail to excite

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

canon-sl1-100d.jpg

The Canon 700D / T5i is more a firmware update than a new camera. Indeed the only new feature in the hardware is that the mode dial now turns 360 degrees. If you are wondering whether to upgrade from your 60D or 650D, the answer may well come down to whether you find a use for that 360 degrees mode dial. You can now go from the M mode on the dial to Scene mode in just one click! Amazing I know.

Though cute, the new entry level 100D offers a 25% reduction in size at the expense of handling and no articulated screen. There's seemingly no new functionality on this camera either in video mode, not even for stills! Owners of the 4 year old 550D from 2009 could be forgiven for not rushing to upgrade.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9829/new-canon-sl1-100d-and-t5i-700d-fail-to-excite

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I know - ridiculous isn't it. Clearly the incremental upgrades are marketing driven, and provide a short term sales boost because Gizmodo will rave about it and everyone will rush to buy it because it's new, without thinking what it actually offers.

To be fair to Canon they are not the only ones trying the same thing - look at Panasonic and their GF2, GF3, GF5 and Nikon with the D3000, D3100, D3200!

For me the incremental improvements build up to a massive failure to deliver, in the last 4 years people loyal to this particular line have had almost zero innovation to look forward to.

Indeed, The last innovation was the 550D really, because it brought the shallow DOF S35 video of the 7D to a budget body. The best of that bunch is the 600D with crop mode and flip out screen, and Magic Lantern.

Since then, only the 5D MKiii has actually improved on video quality. That's expensive, the C series of video cameras are extortionate.

Unless they depart radically with the 7D MKii or a similar DSLR leaning towards video, we can't hope for anything other than the disappointing 720p for double frame rate, and huge price if you want aliasing-free video without an after-market filter.

Taking 720/50p out of the C100 just to separate the C300 was just scandalous really, considering their cheap SLRs do it from an 18MP sensor. I don't think anyone could quite believe the level of "f**k you" in that camera!

And as you quite rightly say, how can we expect anything like innovation when they refuse to even come close to matching the other companies, and even hold back their top-of-the-line C500 unless you use external recording?

It's just so disappointing, from the people who started it all in the first place.

Is there any evidence that their edge is slipping in sales? Are innovators like Sony (EVF/form factor), Panasonic (featureset), Olympus (IS), being rewarded for their efforts with increased market share?

A quick (purely unscientific) google search seems to show that the top 10 DSLRs of 2012 are all Nikon and Canon. So I guess that the answer is no unfortunately. 

I think we should wait for tests to reach any conclusions, they do say it's a new sensor, and that could make a huge difference. Any way, these are all low end consumer cameras, which have shorter life cycles and are updated at least once a year, even if there's nothing new.

I do think it makes sense to have a smaller DSLR in their line up too.

If they're stepping up their game, it will happen with the 7D2, not with the consumer cameras, though the 70D could also show some significant improvements.

I once had an interesting discussion with a Best Buy store manager about the apparent 1 year cycle on low to mid en consumer electronic. He claimed that Best Buy had a policy to discontinue electronic after one year and move it to a less salable position after 6 month since consumer lost interest. And as a result manufacturer came up with new product to cover this time frame.

That is, new models where often not driven by new technology/features, but rather by consumer interest/buying pattern!  

Are we betting on this? Cos I do like a dead cert... ;)

I'm not betting on anything :)

They did use the same sensor on about every single APS-C camera they released over the course of 3 years or something, but they never claimed it was a new sensor, and this time they did.

I have no doubt Canon could produce a much better 18mp sensor these days if they wanted to, do you?

Obviously this doesn't mean they have, but I don't like jumping to conclusions, good or bad, based solely on press releases.

• Administrators

Bottom line: Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, etc are in the game to make money.  They will only innovate when they stop making money. 

Innovation is what makes money. Canon's profits are down 42% at the last count. So some plan that is!

• Administrators

If they're stepping up their game, it will happen with the 7D2, not with the consumer cameras, though the 70D could also show some significant improvements.

I'll eat this blog, eat it whole if the 100D's 'new sensor' gives us a significant improvement...And yes the 70D has the SAME sensor as the 100D according to reports. 7D Mark II - I'm expecting it to be slightly behind the 5D Mark III and similar to the Nikon D5200, and therefore not very exciting now we have raw shooting cinema cameras for $3000, and mirrorless cameras like the GH3.

I'll eat this blog, eat it whole if the 100D's 'new sensor' gives us a significant improvement...And yes the 70D has the SAME sensor as the 100D according to reports. 7D Mark II - I'm expecting it to be slightly behind the 5D Mark III and similar to the Nikon D5200, and therefore not very exciting now we have raw shooting cinema cameras for $3000, and mirrorless cameras like the GH3.

That may be true for video, but the D5200 actually has better IQ for pictures than the 5D3. I doubt the 7D2 will come anywhere near a D5200 in terms of photo quality. I've given up on Canon a while ago. They haven't improved their sensors in 10 years.

I'll eat this blog, eat it whole if the 100D's 'new sensor' gives us a significant improvement...

"Significant" is a very vague word... :)

Then again, I'm not even sure the sensor is indeed new, but they do say so, and if so, improvements could be in line with the improvements between the 5D2 and the 5D3, not day and night, but definitely improvements when it comes to low light performance, and even video.

They haven't improved their sensors in 10 years.

That might be a bit of a stretch... :)

2003: Canon 300D, 6.3mp, Top sensitivity: 1600 ISO, 3072 x 2048 RAW, No video

2013: Canon 700D/T5i, 18mp, Top sensitivity: 2500 ISO, 5185x2912 RAW, 1080p Video