Blog Comments - Radioactivity - my 400fps shoot with the Nikon V1

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

http://vimeo.com/62177101

High speed shooting hasn't been possible on DSLRs until now. Again it is the much dismissed Nikon V1 providing the creative inspiration...

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9821/radioactivity-my-400fps-shoot-with-the-nikon-v1

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Look past the resolution to the possibilities!

Also, uprezzing in the editor looks to have duplicated pixels without filtering.  I agree with Andrew that this has an interesting aesthetic all its own but there are techniques and specialized software that would make it much harder to detect.  People see up-rezzed footage all the time and likely aren't even aware of half of it.

The slow motion looks great, but I was a bit distracted by the stair stepping. Is that due to the upscale, or does it appear in the original 240P clip as well?

If it's due to the upscale, the best solution to fix it is a program called Photozoom. It only works with images, but will work with image sequences and does a very good job. Well, providing sharpening is turned off.

But I'm actually interested in this camera too now. I just checked and noticed a store selling it for $244.

• Administrators

Stair stepping is due to upscaling. I shot some slow motion footage yesterday and video looks just fine.I really like Nikon V1's 1080p mode,it's quite cinematic looking with right cadence even though it's 30p.

No the stair stepping (aliasing) is on the original file. To get 400fps the camera line skips like crazy. Still amazing for $300 though.

• Administrators

Well, I'm looking at the V1 specs at nikon, and I see that in movie mode, it shoots 3,840 x 2,160 (1080/60i) so... this thing shoots 4K?!

The sensor outputs 4K raw at 30fps or 60ps, and the limited consumer Nikon image processor can do as follows:

A ) Store 30 frames in a buffer at full res, then slowly write to the card

B ) Downscale to 1080p for video at 30p or 720p at 60fps

And there's also the 400fps and 1200fps mode. The 1200fps is very low quality and a small window (crop) of the sensor.

• Administrators

Stair stepping is due to upscaling. I shot some slow motion footage yesterday and video looks just fine.I really like Nikon V1's 1080p mode,it's quite cinematic looking with right cadence even though it's 30p.

Yeah 1080p is above average on this camera, just a shame there's no high bitrates or 24p. Detail is above NEX and there's very little moire or aliasing.

Thanks for sharing this. I can't get too excited about the actual camera with 400fps at such a low resolution but I can get excited for the potential this brings. I know things aren't exactly linear but if you can do this for $300, it doesn't seem completely unreasonable that you could do 120fps at FullHD for not much more. Hopefully it's something we can see from the next GH or NEX cameras.