Blog Comments - Rarity - Kubrick on tape

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Young Kubrick self portrait

An early self portrait of the young Stanley Kubrick, photographer - Image source: British Journal of Photography

In a 77 minute interview recorded over chess between takes on 2001: A Space Odyssey in the mid 1960's Kubrick describes selling his first photograph, his first short and making his first feature.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Kubrick is one of my favorite directors, his films are timeless. He's really one of a kind, the closest I can see is probably Paul Thomas Anderson, both very visual story tellers. I really wish there were more film makers like this, its a dying bread I think. Its really strange, as we move away from film to more of a digital medium Hollywood and their audience are very much looking for more of the "roller coaster ride" experience, thats not bad but seems like variety is rare these days.

Thanks for the interview Andrew :)

Fabulous. I will save the interview till when I have some time. That Autoportrait with Leica M3 is precious. Love the watch too- looks lime a Cimier, Elgin or Better. What a stylish guy peering out. So much like so many stylish guys now but oh! ...the out of the box imagination. Now we have mostly copycats :wacko:

Sweet interview. This dude's definitely a master. I will take issue with one point you made though.

"Known as one of the most fiercely intelligent filmmakers of his generation, in his early school days Kubrick got mediocre grades, which says a lot about how poor our system of schooling is."

Public Schools aren't designed to foster/recognize artistic genius, nor should they be. There are designed to make people (most of which are not geniuses in any way shape or form.) useful to society.

Of course all the real Kubrick fans know this story, which first was published a year earlier in Playboy with the subtitle 'Imagine a mindfuck in four dimensions'.

It is more funny than Michael Herrs short biography (also included in The Stanley Kubrick Archives, minus the chapter on Eyes Wide Shut ), which also appeared in excerpts in Vanity Fair 1999, here. Good read.