Color Grade My GH3 Footage!!

/p/

This morning I decided to shoot some test footage to make available to anyone interested but also to get some opinions/tips from more experienced forum members.

You can get all the shots here seperately (Account needed) - http://www.4shared.com/folder/Ok9FV-vH/GH3.html

Or download this file which has all 5 clips included (No account needed) - http://we.tl/Vwx4S3h3JT

It isn't exactly 100% accurate since the light is changing so there is a 2/3 of a stop difference in aperture between the shots (I stopped down the aperture to compensate the change in light).. In this particular shot I probably would have chose to shoot at +1 stop exposure since the big rock was a bit dark but I decided to let the camera "pick" correct exposure for all shots, I was shooting on manual but let the meter decide what was correct exposure.

Each clip is only 10 seconds in length, every clip was shot at 1920x1080, 24p, 50Mbps, 1/50th, 200 iso (with a slight difference in aperture between all 5 clips - I think I started on f/16 and by the 5th clip was on f/20) I focused on the big rock in the water.

Each clip is a different Photo Style (Standard, Vivid, Natural, Scenery, Portrait) and in all of the Photo Styles Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation and Noise Reduction were all at -5. 

Hope the shots are ok for grading.. I'd really appreciate any tips/comments on what you think about grading the footage, what program you used, which clip you think grades the best, and also specifics like sharpening and getting rid of noise (any tips for sharpening in FCP7 would be great).. Maybe no one will reply lel but I thought I'd put it up anyway since I'll be practicing grading the shots myself anyway, but I am only new to color grading. 

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I might give it a try in DaVinci Resolve Lite. I'm also pretty new to color grading so don't expect wonders ;)

/Edit: I have to register to download the files. Don't like that. Try WeTransfer.com or mega.co.nz.

Sorry didn't know that.. Uploading to wetransfer now, will make a new post with link and also copy it into OP.

I might give it a try in DaVinci Resolve Lite. I'm also pretty new to color grading so don't expect wonders ;)

/Edit: I have to register to download the files. Don't like that. Try WeTransfer.com or mega.co.nz.

http://we.tl/Vwx4S3h3JT

That's the wetransfer file, however it is all 5 files together and was quite a slow upload.. There doesn't seem to be an option for choosing specific files when downloading.

I had a play with it for a few minutes, using Vivid

GH3 looks pretty good. Once speed booster arrives too should be extra awesome.

Here's my video:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/9bb6bc8980c4e0610b5b398e7cd165f720130227123624/e5ae0a6e50c49b3633d67492bf833b6f20130227123624/426636

That looks great, what did you use for grading? I just gave the sensor the rocket-air treatment, no more dust.

Cheers my firend!

Varying degrees of Colorista II, Looks and Filmconvert. 

Lots of small tweaks rather than big sweeping attacks on colour, which are all too common these days IMO.

I tried sharpening a bit but it looked very artificial, even just sharpening high frequency detail in the luinance channel.

Is in-camera sharpening on or off here?

I just had a play with your files.  'Standard' profile looked best for my preference.  I have just started exporting a series of different grades.  some rather extreme.  I am really liking the headroom the footage is giving before any breakup occurs.   Should be uploaded shortly.  Cheers for sharing this.  You should try and get a friend to get in shot as it is always nice to have some skin in shot to judge what you can get in post:)  I'd love to see this same shot with some portraits in the foreground. 

I love seeing interpretations. With just one shot it's totally open to aesthetic sensibilities -- there's no particular story to reflect --- you can have fun! 

I wish there were more footage sharing here now Wetransfer exists.

It really helps with buying decisions too.

I'm most impressed with how much detail is in the shadows there. This camera doesn't seem to have the GH2's hard highlight clipping either.

I'm most impressed with how much detail is in the shadows there. 

me too.  massive amounts of clear detail can be brought back in the rock face.  it gets noisy at a point but the noise is lovely and fine.  More like grain than noise.  I'd leave it in in most cases to be honest - and i imagine some careful iso and profile selection and wb tweeks might allow the noise to be tuned to an even more appealing look, with the right balance between red, green and blue grain is present and it looks even more like film grain.

The noise which appears when the shadows are slammed up a bit looks like a perfect Neatvideo candidate if you wanted it gone.

I recommend you take a look at FCS's Color. You own it already, the grading performed by jgharding and richg101 can be done with it. Usually I would have taken the bait, but I don't think I could do much better.

I learned the software with the manual and the very good Lynda tutorials. Workflow: You 'send' an FCP-sequence 'to Color', you jump from clip to clip and from 'room' (correction state) to room. In the end, you 'render all', save and send back 'to Final Cut Pro'. Sounds more complicated than it is. Very fast and straightforward grading suite.

If anyone would like to try grading different shots what photo style would you prefer it be in? I know bright sunlight is not the best light to shoot in but I might grab a few shots this afternoon while I am running some errands and possibly a few more at dusk tonight.