Film grain in Lana Del Rey's new music video - which is amazing

Hene1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-NTv0CdFCk

Lana Del Rey's new music video looks amazing. Film grain comes trough exceptionally well considering the source is YouTube. 

Does anyone know how to get film grain look something like that? I have gorilla grain and filmconvert but the film grain with those is much too clean. Filmconvert with 8 mm settings is also way too blurry.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's certainly some overt film grain.

If they did it all digitally, I don't know what filter(s)/plug-in(s) they used.

They might have shot a small format film stock with a coarse grain.  The grain does look artificial in certain areas/moments, but that could be from the apparent over-tweaking of contrast and shadows.

Wow great video (and song), thanks for posting.  The grain is nice but could be a bit more organic IMO.  I agree the resolution of the grain comes through well though.  I would say most of that is probably because it's a commercial account which gets higher data rates / lower compression than we can get as free YouTube users.

3 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

As someone who is highly active on youtube i've never heard of this before, were did you learn that?

Good question.. I heard it a while back from someone I work with but I can't find any hard evidence of it.

Here's a thread with a bunch of YouTubers discussing how compression / bitrate seems way better on highly popular channels:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/_lKUidz08Ts

If I get some time I'd like to do an experiment to test that premise by downloading that Lana Del Rey video via one of those websites, checking the bitrate, then uploading it to my own channel and then downloading it after compression to see if the bitrate is different from the original.

Incidentally here are VEVO's channel guidelines and they don't have mention anything special about bitrate or compression (they even limit the max bitate to 50mb/s).  Doesn't mean they don't get a benefit of YouTube using lower compression / higher bitrate on preferred channels I guess.

https://www.repostnetwork.com/blog/2016/10/06/vevo-specs-best-practices/

when i first saw the trailer for la la land i could tell within seconds that it was shot on film, but who else can tell, other filmmakers?

certainly not the kids that watch this lana video on their iphones – i have to think any grainy look just reads as 'retro' to them

as much as i could criticize this video as looking a bit phony, on the positive side i think that the borderline 8mm extreme graininess is necessary to read as graininess on the itty bitty screen of that very same iphone

*I* waited to get home to watch this video on my tv to comment ?

I have a completely different POV on the videos of LDR.

I own all her albums and really enjoy her music. That said, with the exception of video for the title track "Born to Die" (which had some nice set pieces and was shot well, it was a little too literal) every video of hers has been a mishmash of visual clichés (Love, National Anthem, and most others) and silliness (High by the Beach). "Love" is just one more video that makes me think LDR is incapable of hiring a producer that can make a decent video. Most of them resemble what I would expect from a first year film student. This really bugs me about her, since she's otherwise so clearly talented. 

Was the "Beatles, move over" comment sarcasm? Because there's no way the two should be in the same sentence. 

As talented as she can be, no one can compare LDR's contributions to those of The Beatles as they literally changed music and society. Along with long-time producer George Martin, they were the first to introduce distortion, false endings and use symphonic instruments in pop music. They can even be credited with moving music videos to the forefront with their groundbreaking music films. These are just the tip of the Iceberg of stuff we now take for granted, but until The Beatles they had never been tried. Even if you're not a fan of their music, they literally changed the trajectory of music, the music business and popular culture across the planet. 

LDR makes nice songs that ride the zeitgeist. So far, I can't say she's done much else of significance. I'm still holding out hope for her to come out with a music video that goes some place new. 

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

Geniuses like Lana Del Rey only occur once in a lifetime.

I watched some of her other videos/songs and can't say I'm impressed with her other work. Most seem rather flippant love songs promoting hard drug use on the beach. And apparently she is trying sedition via witchcraft. Messed up chick. 

Here in my country, her fanbase are teens (and pre-teens) and 20 something's, plus a mainstream messed up and mixed up percentage of people that listen from mainstream dance music to local pop bands to whatever is on the mainstream radio at the moment; those people I do not admire much. In her latest live performance here 60% were young girls with tiny jeans shorts, 20% that were at the VIP section (the mainstream crown I mentioned) which they paid double ticket to have a bar closer to them actually, and the other percentage the rest of the people.

She has (had) some great singles though, I can not deny that, just the artistic side of things is not my cup of tea. She is alright though, I -really- have seen and hear much worst!

"genious"?! That is going too far probably! In my life time I have seen quite a few music geniuses and I wouldn't put her name on my autobiography! 

The noise in this video is TOO much.

10 hours ago, rdouthit said:

Was the "Beatles, move over" comment sarcasm?

My comment was dripping with sarcasm.

Because there's no way the two should be in the same sentence. As talented as she can be, no one can compare LDR's contributions to those of The Beatles as they literally changed music and society

Agreed.

Along with long-time producer George Martin, they were the first to introduce distortion, false endings and use symphonic instruments in pop music. They can even be credited with moving music videos to the forefront with their groundbreaking music films.

Hold on. The Beatles were probably the best rock band that ever existed, and they and their crew certainly innovated a lot of groundbreaking things.  However, they were not the first to introduce distortion, nor to use symphonic instruments in pop (nor rock) music, nor to make entertaining films/video of music, that were not just documenting a musical performance.

I don't know what you mean by "false endings."

Even if you're not a fan of their music, they literally changed the trajectory of music, the music business and popular culture across the planet. 

Agreed.