LUT - To Bake or not to Bake

Don Kotlos

James Miller ran a test in which he recorded externally from GH5 with Vlog and he either applied the LUT in post or baked it in. 

Even with an external recorder that offers high bitrates and very good codecs, the difference is quite big. See the color smearing ('YUV chroma smearing' ?) in many places and the color shifts in the shadows. I believe using baked in LUTs with external recorders should give better results with any camera with an HDMI log output. 

I hope Panasonic implements a way to have baked in LUTs with Vlog internally. But I guess for now you can have an external recorder with the baked in look and an internal without. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 1.45.03 PM.png 

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 1.45.17 PM.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

BRAINWAVE: Wouldn't it be great to have an option to bake in a lut internally? The GH5 can already do a view assist lut - it's not inconceivable that this could be sent to SD card, essentially making the picture profiles of the camera infinitely customisable.

Does anyone have the number for Mr. Panasonic?

14 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

BRAINWAVE: Wouldn't it be great to have an option to bake in a lut internally? The GH5 can already do a view assist lut - it's not inconceivable that this could be sent to SD card, essentially making the picture profiles of the camera infinitely customisable.

Does anyone have the number for Mr. Panasonic?

I agree that would be amazing.