Iscorama VS Iscomorphot 8 2x VS Iscomorphot 8 1.5x

QuickHitRecord

Since I have all three at the moment, I decided to make a test for my fellow anamorphic enthusiasts: 

http://vimeo.com/60401188

Not exactly scientific, but I tried to be methodical. The Iscorama is sharp wide open, but my Iscomorphot 2x has to be closed down to f/2.8 or smaller, and the Iscomorphot 1.5x really isn't too useful before f/5.6.

They each have their own unique character. Which image do you prefer?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The iscomorphot 2x wins for me.  I think its mainly due to the diopter allowing you to get slightly closer than the iscorama, yet thanks to the beast of a mod, you have got very close without the dipoter:)  Adding the dipoter boosts all the lovely nuances of the anamorphic bokeh distortion in the same way bokeh is more creamy with a longer lens at the same aperture.

I love the colours too.  I think what makes this test so superb is the interaction from your model.  It's nice to see how the lenses render a human face.  I felt the lower contrast and shallower dof thanks to the diopters, as well as the slightly softer image overally of the two 8mm's works really well in render the human face.  Please tell me your model is an actor?  She looks as if she needs to be in a french speaking 16mm anamorphic movie!

very nice!

i liked them all at smaller apertures,... but then i've been getting sick of the super shallow depth of field look and i think they all, even the last looked much more cinematic when stopped down. the f8 shots are my favorite.

maybe its just the plethora of spherical shooters using shallow Dof that shallow Dof even anamorphic reminds me of regular video now. not criticizing Quickhitrecord in anyway, just my oddball brain.

but i was like " very nice, very nice too, very nice as well, this too is nice, whooaaaa!"

so is it just me or does f8 look more special than the larger apertures? perhaps the ratio of bokeh to clear + anamorphic bending ties it all together?

i will stop blabbering now  :P

thanks for the test, great job Quickhitrecord!

Thanks, guys. I had fun doing this one.

I felt the lower contrast and shallower dof thanks to the diopters, as well as the slightly softer image overally of the two 8mm's works really well in render the human face.  Please tell me your model is an actor?  She looks as if she needs to be in a french speaking 16mm anamorphic movie!

I think that a big part of what many of us love about the "anamorphic look" is not from the lens, but from the diopters. They can be a challenge to work with but they do add a unique-looking bokeh that is not achievable by manipulating the aperture alone.

My model teaches photography for a living, so she's not afraid to be in front of a camera. I think that she's got a great face for cinema too. Maybe I'll see if I can write a short around a character that she could play.

What is your mod on the Iscorama 36?

It's Rich's amazing minimum focus mod. I can now focus wide open as close as 2'10" before the front element screws right off. It makes me nervous to do this so I usually limit myself to 3'6" or so. But still, it breathed new life into this lens for me.

so is it just me or does f8 look more special than the larger apertures? perhaps the ratio of bokeh to clear + anamorphic bending ties it all together?

I completely agree with you. Shallow DOF is overused and lately I haven't been using it as much. Actually, of everything that I shot here, I think that the Iscomorphot 8 1.5x at f/5.6 is my favorite look. Combined with FilmConvert, I'm getting a picture that I can't believe came out of a digital camera.

Thanks for the comparison! Lovely images. The Iscorama wins for me. The Iscomorphot 8/2x is nice as well. I really have to get mine going but I think something is wrong with it.. Can't seem to get sharp images at big apertures, I'll make a topic about it soon.

I also like the F8 look. I think bigger apertures could still be useful with longer focus distances, to get a similar bokeh.

I love the fact that you can crop the Iscomorphot x2 & it still gives the Iscorama a run for its money!

I think if you'd left it uncropped it would've been the overall winner, especially at f5.6, which for me seems to be the optimum aperture.

I bought my x2 by mistake or should that be a drunken ebay moment a couple of xmas ago & there's something about it, almost like a special coating on the lenses (but most probably because 2 sets of doublets & no moving parts), that gives you that look.

Thanks

I just received the Iscomorphot 8, could you tell me what clamp are you using with it ? Thank you

Here's how I am mounting mine: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/gallery/album_14/gallery_18451_14_27471.jpg

There are probably other ways to do it, but this is what I came up with to prevent the lens from twisting when I am focusing. Hope this helps and I can't wait to see your videos!

Here's how I am mounting mine: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/gallery/album_14/gallery_18451_14_27471.jpg

There are probably other ways to do it, but this is what I came up with to prevent the lens from twisting when I am focusing. Hope this helps and I can't wait to see your videos!

Thank you :) I did a quick test with it this afternoon, but I have to bring it to a photograph repairer for the focus ring. At first glance this lens is less sharp than my baby Hypergonar, I have to put the prime lens at least on f/5.6, even for wide shot, when with the Hypergonar I can do wide shot at fast aperture (on the Iscomorphot 1.5 fast shot gives blurry / unsharp and color aberration. f/5.6 begin to be better, and especially with the Tokina diopter.

Thank you :) I did a quick test with it this afternoon, but I have to bring it to a photograph repairer for the focus ring. At first glance this lens is less sharp than my baby Hypergonar, I have to put the prime lens at least on f/5.6, even for wide shot, when with the Hypergonar I can do wide shot at fast aperture (on the Iscomorphot 1.5 fast shot gives blurry / unsharp and color aberration. f/5.6 begin to be better, and especially with the Tokina diopter.

Yes, mine is quite unusable before f/5.6. But once you put it there, it gives an unbelievable image (in my opinion). And it is rack-focusable (and focuses as close as 0.5m), which makes it the easiest, most user-friendly anamorphic that I have ever owned.

How does your baby ISCO differ from the other design like this one in terms of performance etc ,,,

$(KGrHqV,!pMFENLj7BZyBRK9y6(M(!~~60_57.J

Yes, mine is quite unusable before f/5.6. But once you put it there, it gives an unbelievable image (in my opinion). And it is rack-focusable (and focuses as close as 0.5m), which makes it the easiest, most user-friendly anamorphic that I have ever owned.

Redstan clamp for bolex moller can also be used with the iscomorphot 8 1.5x

iscomorphot.jpg

How does your baby ISCO differ from the other design like this one in terms of performance etc ,,,

I had one of those once: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/741-isco-gottingen-anamorphot-15x-not-to-be-confused-with-iscormorphot-15x

That was a focus-through design and very difficult to work with. You have to reposition the camera to focus. The Iscomorphot 8 1.5x is very easy to use (fully rack-focusable and has a minimum focus distance of about 2.5'), as long as you keep your aperture above f/5.6.