GH5 - 5 axis stabilisation body versus 3 axis gimbal?

luminescence

Hello,
          I am wondering if the development of in-body stabilisation technology will eventually supercede gimbals? The reason I ask is that I have bought a Came TV 3-axis gimbal which works very well and opens up new ways of video which tripods do not allow. Although it is relatively light, it is awkward to travel with alot because it comes in a big plastic case like a large tool box. Even though the gimbal is relatively light, the whole box is alot to lug around when flying constantly. I have removed it from the box and just kept it in its foam padding in a suitcase but this also has its risks.

So in my bid to travel lighter with less gear, I wonder how a pistol grip under a GH5 is going to stack up against any of the leading 3 axis gimbals? I have a GX85 with 5 axis stabilisation and noticed that hand held pans were not that great. Is that because I may not have optimised settings that well, or lens combination? I am pretty new to all this so any feedback would be appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's a trick to panning with 5 axis IBIS cameras - you have to learn how the device behaves under different kinds of movement, ie. you can't just pan any old way and expect it to work. This is because, among other things, the IBIS is trying to keep the image still, while you're trying to move it. Plus some lenses are better at it than others. So a super slow or fast pan might not work as well as one that gets the speed just right for the camera to work out that it should release and re-grab at the right points. I think of it like stuttering. If you know what you're going to say before you say it you decrease stuttering a lot. 

As for the pistol grip, I keep seeing them put out improved models. Great advances in that area at the moment. 

It's a physical restriction to some degree. The camera sensor with IBIS can only move by a very small margin in all directions without leaving the image circle projected by the lens (one reason why the bigger the sensor, the weaker the IBIS results). To overcome this issue you would need a small sensor (e.g. m4/3) and lenses with a relatively big image circle.

A gimbal in contrast can go full potato with movements. Therefore I'm quite sure we will never reach the same possibilities with IBIS that a full external stabilizer gives.

Using both together is pretty sweet though!

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Get the Zhiyun Crane. Period.

It seems more compact and portable than the Came TV and much lighter. The Came TV one is double the price of the Zhiyun! I have tried to find comparison reviews of both but no luck. Would be grateful if anyone can find a review.

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

It's a physical restriction to some degree. The camera sensor with IBIS can only move by a very small margin in all directions without leaving the image circle projected by the lens (one reason why the bigger the sensor, the weaker the IBIS results). To overcome this issue you would need a small sensor (e.g. m4/3) and lenses with a relatively big image circle.

A gimbal in contrast can go full potato with movements. Therefore I'm quite sure we will never reach the same possibilities with IBIS that a full external stabilizer gives.

Using both together is pretty sweet though!

Thanks for your explanation, good to know, I will hang on to the gimbal for a good while yet then!