Cinemorph filter - Anamorphic bokeh on the cheap

Stab

I came across this little filter which supposedly provide an anomorphic-like bokeh and lensflare on virtually any lens.

You screw the filter on the back of your lens and you're good to go.

I would like to try one, but since I'm always using a Speed Booster I have my concerns. Their website says that 'some people' have no problem using this filter with the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and the Speed Booster, but other's might.

Well, that's a bit vague so I thought let me ask it here. Have any of you ever used this filter with a Speedbooster and even with a Sigma 18-35 Nikon mount? 

I plan to use the Cinemorph filter on a GH5 with a Sigma 18-35 (Nikon) and a Speed Booster XL.

If you've ever seen or used one, let me know!
Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I remember when we used to put fishing line behind the lens to get the flare effect!

Wow great reminder! Even Vaseline on the front for poor mans soft focus, Panty Hose over lens also.. I didn't really know about ISO, ASA in those days that much, I always wondered why shit was so dark LoL. 80 ISO movie film ain't got a lot of latitude! Probably outdated on top of it.

4 hours ago, Stab said:

I came across this little filter which supposedly provide an anomorphic-like bokeh and lensflare on virtually any lens.

You screw the filter on the back of your lens and you're good to go.

I would like to try one, but since I'm always using a Speed Booster I have my concerns. Their website says that 'some people' have no problem using this filter with the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and the Speed Booster, but other's might.

Well, that's a bit vague so I thought let me ask it here. Have any of you ever used this filter with a Speedbooster and even with a Sigma 18-35 Nikon mount? 

I plan to use the Cinemorph filter on a GH5 with a Sigma 18-35 (Nikon) and a Speed Booster XL.

If you've ever seen or used one, let me know!
Thanks.

I made one from black cardboard and used a fishing line. Obviously, the oval shape could be nicer, but at least I know that this anafake does not worth 50 bucks. You get the fishing line in your bokeh, the lights will be clearly divided in to two and the "waterfall bokeh" will have a fishing line like horizontal line. You can get rid of this by using a thiner line, but it will kill the flares. Check the cinemorphs characteristics, it's the same, anyway, the cardboard will definatelywork with your speedbooster ;) 

unnamed.jpg

25 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

I made one from black cardboard and used a fishing line. Obviously, the oval shape could be nicer, but at least I know that this anafake does not worth 50 bucks. You get the fishing line in your bokeh, the lights will be clearly divided in to two and the "waterfall bokeh" will have a fishing line like horizontal line. You can get rid of this by using a thiner line, but it will kill the flares. Check the cinemorphs characteristics, it's the same, anyway, the cardboard will definatelywork with your speedbooster ;) 

unnamed.jpg

You can order one without the fishing line(no flares, but thats not what im after). I wanted to try one of these cinemorph filters, but you might save me 50$ to test it out, as I did not like the Vid-atlentic clamps. 

Here are some screen grabs. I did not bother to cut it to cinemascope, you get the feel. Note the bokeh on the last picture.

All shot with Sigma 18-35, Lens Turbo 0,72x and GH4.

I tried to cut a vertical line in to the front filter but it did not work as expected, than I tried to sandpaper it, but it was visible on this short focal length. I thought that faking anamorphic will be easier, but it is not :)

P1200520.MOV.14_49_17_18.Still001.jpg

P1200579.MOV.15_54_25_48.Still001.jpg

P1200579.MOV.15_54_27_05.Still002.jpg

P1200575.MOV.15_45_46_14.Still001.jpg

I contacted the manufacturer and they have replied. The version of the filter which is supposed to go on the back of the lens, does not work with Nikon versions of the lens and the Speed Booster.

They recommended me to buy the front filter in stead. I think the results with that filter are not in the same ballpark unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

We shot this a while back with a Vid-Atlantic Cinemorph + Nikkor prime set + Sony a7s + Atomos Shogun, except for 5d3 in underwater housing and phantom for aerials. Sadly the longer cut isn't up, so it's missing my favourite scene in there. I digress.

The lines running down the middle of bokeh is the tradeoff for getting those horizontal flares. If I were to reshoot it, I think I would have used the non-flare Cinemorph for most shots instead. It's a nice combination with the a7s, as even though you lose a tiny bit of light from the filter under-exposure is rarely a problem with that cam. It's a fun little tool that of course adds a layer of complexity as you are constantly rechecking alignment and swapping the filter each time you swap lenses (unless you mod them all) but depending on your project it can be a pretty easy and inexpensive way to get a certain look.

A similar cheap alternative (my next project) that produces the same effect is to slip in little aperture disks as Tito Ferradans explains here: