ProRes vs ProRes - A first look at uncompressed HDMI with the Nikon D5200 vs the Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
D5200 ProRes test

In the early days of DSLR video the codec was probably the weakest part of the camera. With the advent of uncompressed HDMI out - the codec is no longer a weak point but sensor sampling becomes an Achilles Heel.

Can the Nikon D5200 benefit from a hike in image quality from using an external recorder?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

That language isn't acceptable on this site. Don't care if it was made in jest or whatever. There are just too many who will find it offensive and out of place.

Leang you will have a PM shortly.

I'm not going to censor you but you have to keep the language inline with acceptability.

• Administrators

Personally I prefer the 5D Mark III's image, but the D5200 delivers WAY more value. The image is close yet the thing costs $700!

I am planning a day light shoot yes. Though to be honest, you can tell a lot more from the low light images because of the way the tonality and lighting is. One thing that I do need to do a day light test for however is dynamic range. A tunnel test. The GH3 and 5D Mark III can both shoot flatter than the D5200 without a load of banding being visible. Generally though, I find all the DSLRs to be pretty similar when it comes to dynamic range. As soon as you grade the image they all have about 9 USABLE stops. Nobody likes the look of an ungraded flat CineStyle image, you're trading other attributes for the ability to place your 9 stops in a different spot, that's all.

The dilemma at the moment is that the BMCC is so nice in raw that it leaves all the other cameras looking a bit too digital.

I highly recommend experimenting with Film Convert and Film Stocks plugins for Premiere to give the compressed footage more grain and a more authentic film look.

That language isn't acceptable on this site. Don't care if it was made in jest or whatever. There are just too many who will find it offensive and out of place.

Leang you will have a PM shortly.

I'm not going to censor you but you have to keep the language inline with acceptability.

But the Jews in Hollywood are big advocates of Tarantino's writing.  I wonder why.  Seems like hypocritical irony within the entertainment industry, and that's the philosophy of Tarantino's fiction and he gets rewarded...

It's the same context.  A mere word is far better than the countless thousands in European stadiums throwing bananas or racial slurs to players.  Never in America.

But the Jews in Hollywood are big advocates of Tarantino's writing.  I wonder why.  Seems like hypocritical irony within the entertainment industry, and that's the philosophy of Tarantino's fiction and he gets rewarded...

Don't be pedantic.  Use in a film or art to serve a point is different.  At the very least, in jest, it's only appropriate between well acquainted friends who can communicate with each other without the need of pretense or editing.  Do you enjoy such a relationship with Andrew?

You were just being disrespectful and baiting so that you could play the part of the victim and create or turn this into a political issue with Islamist propaganda overtones.

It's the same context.  A mere word is far better than the countless thousands in European stadiums throwing bananas or racial slurs to players.  Never in America.

Dude, you choose to live and work in a country that criminally indicts individuals residing in other countries for TWEETS they see as anti-Islamic.  GTFO with your very ironic hypocrisy.  

• Administrators

The problem I have with Leang's use of the offensive word is that he put it on print appended to one of my own articles.

I don't want to control like a hawk what goes in the forum. But this takes the biscuit it really does. If a print newspaper or magazine used such offensive words, with such vague context and a completely unclear meaning as to whether it was meant as an insult, slang, a joke or outright racism they'd offend thousands and rightly be taken to task for it.

I don't want that to happen here.

I'd expect Jews are an advocate of Tarantino's writing for the same reason the rest of us are. It's bloody good.

I really don't get the rest of your point or your excuse for using the word, to be honest.

Exactly, so whenever you hear the N word in Tarantino's films and you're enjoying the moment remember me or press mute from your remote control and stand by your belief!  

There is no excuse.  The point is that we're exaggerating the context and I have to remind people of some weird conservative hypocrisy at a film forum!  

Oh yeah btw did I mention thanks for the article?  I think I did.

Don't be pedantic.  Use in a film or art to serve a point is different.  At the very least, in jest, it's only appropriate between well acquainted friends who can communicate with each other without the need of pretense or editing.  Do you enjoy such a relationship with Andrew?

You were just being disrespectful and baiting so that you could play the part of the victim and create or turn this into a political issue with Islamist propaganda overtones.

Dude, you choose to live and work in a country that criminally indicts individuals residing in other countries for TWEETS they see as anti-Islamic.  GTFO with your very ironic hypocrisy.  

Oh no not you again.  I'll see my reply as a comic relief for general viewers since I strongly believe those that follow this site are not soft.  lol.  Therefore we have a nice double header at the movies!  1.  We've got a nice article, 2.  We've got a VFX artist from Texas theorizing on Turkey from general CNN.  I think the next time I go to Amsterdam I'm gonna roll a nice phat one and think about the every so boring conservative state of Texas.  

Andrew, you mentioned that you'd get around to reviewing GH3 qualities vis-a-vis other DSLR's and also on it's own merit.  I'm wondering if you're still planning that review?  I'm sure a lot of people are looking forward to it.  I know I am.  It will be very interesting to hear your opinion, whenever you get a chance.  Thanks

• Administrators

Yes sure. Only thing holding back the review is the sample footage. I want it to do the camera justice and that takes time to get right. I don't just want to sling up some test shots as I have done before with the GH3. That is taking some time to put together with the current shooting schedule.

BTW I'm also interested to hear from anyone in Berlin with a C100 or C300. Get in touch and come on some shoots. So few people actually own one, it is all rental stuff!

Regarding the query as to whether Canon will provide 4:2:2 out, it's already possible to get 4:2:2 out of a Canon, Magic Lanterns Silent Pic function, ML writes the 4:2:2 to the card, it's just not possible to sustain the frame rate and the resolution varies between cameras.

I don't think even the 5D MKIII is full 1920x1080. Encoder feed is 1720x974 (550D) and 1904x1072 (5D3). 600D, sizes are 1728x972 (crop) and 1680x945 (non-crop).

But 4:2:2 out in April shouldn't be a big deal, think the pre release 5D MKIII's had 4:2:2 hdmi out enabled by accident and switched off at release?

Personally I prefer the 5D Mark III's image, but the D5200 delivers WAY more value. The image is close yet the thing costs $700!

I am planning a day light shoot yes. Though to be honest, you can tell a lot more from the low light images because of the way the tonality and lighting is. One thing that I do need to do a day light test for however is dynamic range. A tunnel test. The GH3 and 5D Mark III can both shoot flatter than the D5200 without a load of banding being visible. Generally though, I find all the DSLRs to be pretty similar when it comes to dynamic range. As soon as you grade the image they all have about 9 USABLE stops. Nobody likes the look of an ungraded flat CineStyle image, you're trading other attributes for the ability to place your 9 stops in a different spot, that's all.

The dilemma at the moment is that the BMCC is so nice in raw that it leaves all the other cameras looking a bit too digital.

I highly recommend experimenting with Film Convert and Film Stocks plugins for Premiere to give the compressed footage more grain and a more authentic film look.

Thanks for your answer.

I actually been using film convert on my 5d mk2. Awesome results!

The point of my dilemma its that I'm really tired of the moire/aliasing issues on my 5D and I'm searching for a replacement (one that i can afford) and not to be losing IQ on the process. 

Thanks.