What devices are you using to make judgements about tests/comparisons

sam

3 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

A half decent calibrated monitor should be fine for that, viewing at a 1:1 pixel ratio to check for pixel level artifacting... AKA pixel peeping :glasses:

I mean one would think so..... calibration of a display will give you the best image it is capable of... but obviously that depends on the quality of the display to begin with, as well as the entire imaging pipline.   But I do hope folks will continue sharing their setups.  What are you using?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

At home: Calibrated HP Dreamcolor driven by a BM intensity interface, $4k rec709 calibrated Panasonic LCD projector with brand new OEM bulb, calibrated ST60 Panasonic Plasma (CNET's highest rated tv of all time), HD650 headphones driven through a high end tube amp and high end dual Wolfson DAC, DT1350s and a portable amp/dac, 7506s, Stax electrostatic headphones 

At work: Calibrated 27" ultra sharp, other uncalibrated dell monitors for GUIs, calibrated 5k retinas iMacs, Flanders Scientific for color correction for tv, M Audio monitors, 7506s, etc. depending on where I am working at the time. Obviously we never do any heavy duty mixing in house with such anemic sound gear

Lol I still do most of my work on my rMBP's shitty non-calibrated display though and mostly use the high end gear for playing PS4 while massively high on edibles. Surprisingly the rMBP screen is good enough to judge most work other than color correction or something. You don't need crazy high end gear. I do really enjoy watching blu rays on the big screen, though, and listening to music on the HD650s. 

5 hours ago, Phil A said:

So how do you handle this? What are your thoughts about producing for the web with zero control what people will see?

@Phil A my thoughts are that it sucks, as you demonstrated in your photos, but you gotta deal with it

and of course that phenomenon is 100% the same for still images... without involving any of the complexity of motion pictures, i have a frustrating time finding a happy medium for a jpg i want to post online across the screens of the consumer devices that i personally own – theyre wildly different 

A calibrated LG 3440x1440 IPS monitor, and a Panasonic Viera Plasma hand calibrated running off a Fury X. Other than that, I use the scopes to determine proper white/black rather than the monitor. If the overall image looks great on both monitors, I'm set.

2 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Stax electrostatic headphones 

Ahem... Earspeakers ;) (for those who've never listened to them, click the link, they are amazing tech!). Stax + Carver Magnetic Field Power Amplifier* + organic matter = wow.

I've got a pair of old HD 580's which are super comfy though the Audio Technica ATH-M50's are more detailed (for mixing and critical listening). Sony 7506s are great all-around, smallish, light and comfy too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver Looks like he's now retired- amazing sound engineer!

7 hours ago, sam said:

I should add, color accuracy was not really why I posted, its the things like banding, noise/grain, compression artifacts, luminance levels, gamma, motion artifacts, motion cadence, scaling, aliasing, etc...In relation to making an image comparison between cameras.......

HDR with its many competing gamma curves and extremely large color space is only going to compound the matter.

Yes, I'm also more interested in scaling, motion, etc. As an example, playing the same video via my graphic card to the TV has a slight stutter, via I/O card out of DaVinci Resolve it runs fluid.
Color is kinda subjective, everyone sees it slightly different and then add different tastes on top. I'm less sensitive to that but I'm currently really concerned about the bad scaling I mentioned in my post. What's the point of shooting 2160p for a pristine 1080p master to have it then scaled to death by a QHD display?

4 hours ago, kaylee said:

@Phil A my thoughts are that it sucks, as you demonstrated in your photos, but you gotta deal with it

and of course that phenomenon is 100% the same for still images... without involving any of the complexity of motion pictures, i have a frustrating time finding a happy medium for a jpg i want to post online across the screens of the consumer devices that i personally own – theyre wildly different 

Absolutely true. With the problem on top that you never know if the viewer's browser actually respects embedded color profiles or not. Attack of the OompaLoompa imminent.

iPhone6 (via YouTube), iPad Retina (via YouTube), Apple TV to 50" plasma HDTV (again via YouTube).

Sometimes I Airplay directly from the iMac (running FCPX or Resolve) to the HDTV via AppleTV but it's kinda glitchy so I'd rather upload to YouTube and watch it from there.

I'd like to buy a BlackMagic Mini Monitor thunderbolt interface in the near future to connect my HDTV directly to the iMac and use that as a second monitor.