How to use ND filter

enny

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, enny said:

Do you open you IRS on the lens to what you like and then use the ND or set the ND to lowest setting and use your lens to adjust how much light come in

Depends on how much Depth-Of-Field you want or don't want. ND is typically used to allow slower shutter speeds as well as lower f-stops.

2 hours ago, enny said:

So what is the best way to use  variable nd filter. Do you open you IRS on the lens to what you like and then use the ND or set the ND to lowest setting and use your lens to adjust how much light come in and if zebras are showing

Thanks guys

I use one on the 12-35 panny lens. I set the lens to F2.8 (wide open), the camera to shutter priority at 1/50s (as I'm shooting at 25fps), then rotate the variable until I get the 100% zebras at a point I'm happy with, ie. a few small highlights in the sky but mostly clear. There's usually an obvious point that it needs to be at. Works the same on my 25mm 1.4. The only problem that sometimes arises is in particularly bright light, the variable ND can cross hatch at darkest setting, so you have to pull back a tad from that. 

6 hours ago, Orangenz said:

I use one on the 12-35 panny lens. I set the lens to F2.8 (wide open), the camera to shutter priority at 1/50s (as I'm shooting at 25fps), then rotate the variable until I get the 100% zebras at a point I'm happy with, ie. a few small highlights in the sky but mostly clear. There's usually an obvious point that it needs to be at. Works the same on my 25mm 1.4. The only problem that sometimes arises is in particularly bright light, the variable ND can cross hatch at darkest setting, so you have to pull back a tad from that. 

I use a GenusTech variable ND. Get the f-stop you want, and then make stronger or lighter depending on what you want your exposure to be. For me, that's always either +1.7 or +2.0 on the Sony A7SII with SLOG2. Unfortunately, it's not quite enough on a very sunny day with a really wide aperture. I wish it went to 10 stops of ND, but oh well.