What tools do you use for lower thirds, overlays and graphics?

Phil A

I know that the go to solution for creating lower thirds, effects, etc is Adobe After Effects but I wondered if there is any viable alternatives?

I know that you could basically do all the same within Blackmagic Fusion which is also free now but the learning curve is crazy steep. Is there any simpler tools with less range of functionality? I feel like DaVinci Resolve has a big gap at this point.

So far I create transparent images in Adobe Photoshop to use them in the NLE but you obviously have no real options for animation or anything then. I find it surprising that no one tries to fill the gap for a more consumer/prosumer oriented solution.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I know that the go to solution for creating lower thirds, effects, etc is Adobe After Effects but I wondered if there is any viable alternatives?

I know that you could basically do all the same within Blackmagic Fusion which is also free now but the learning curve is crazy steep. Is there any simpler tools with less range of functionality? I feel like DaVinci Resolve has a big gap at this point.

So far I create transparent images in Adobe Photoshop to use them in the NLE but you obviously have no real options for animation or anything then. I find it surprising that no one tries to fill the gap for a more consumer/prosumer oriented solution.

There are tonnes of plug-ins out there for around the £40 mark - just look on YouTube.

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Indeed. Consider the choir preacher to.

Lol. We all wear different hats at different times.

I've run the gamut from installation art, tv documentary to bread and butter jobs... even the odd wedding film here and there. Some of it has been really fulfilling work that I'll never forget.... and some of it will hopefully stay swept under the carpet forever :grimace:

3 hours ago, sina_html said:

Actually with the help of Photoshop, you can really cover all the basic stuff in premiere. you can animate position, scale, rotation, opacity etc... and can even add motion blur with the help of transform effect. 

I do 90% of my graphics and titles in PS. Quick and easy and you can just import the psd directly so if you do any changes to the psd it will automatically link in Premiere.