GH5 to much camera for me?

Tsarbomba

I started doing video last year with my 6D. Im really contemplating POing the GH5. Has what im looking for (so does a6500) but takes it a step farther. Only thing that keeps me from ordering is  that it actually might be to much camera.  I figure I can grow into it, but 8 bit vs 10 bit and all that, im not exactly up on. But if I was going to spend $1400 on the Sony, I could scrape together another $600 for GH5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, Tsarbomba said:

I started doing video last year with my 6D. Im really contemplating POing the GH5. Has what im looking for (so does a6500) but takes it a step farther. Only thing that keeps me from ordering is  that it actually might be to much camera.  I figure I can grow into it, but 8 bit vs 10 bit and all that, im not exactly up on. But if I was going to spend $1400 on the Sony, I could scrape together another $600 for GH5

It takes courage to say that the GH5 might be too much. :) I agree with you, it's way more than I'll ever need, and I'm seriously considering just waiting it out till the fall when Panasonic will undoubtedly release a more wallet-friendly rangefinder version minus some of the bells and whistles. What it will have is anybody's guess, but we've seen Panasonic's flagship features trickle down to their midrange line before - features like 4K, highlight and shadow curves, monochrome live view, and on and on. As well as the other way around, with IBIS. I'd guess Bluetooth, USB-C for file transfers, maybe 4K 60 with no sensor crop, improved EVF and LCD resolution and color fidelity, dual card slots and a whole host of other features will make their way into another Panasonic body before the year is out. Why not just get the G80/85 if you don't need 10-bit and V-log? 

Well I know it seems really expensive but the only thing close is the Sony A7sii , A7rii and they are another 1,000 bucks. I am sure the A7iii will be killer, they really have to be to be honest. Sony is not going to let Panasonic steal all the limelight.

But you have to set a limit on what you can afford. I am sure you can learn all you need to start with with the GH5, and it will have room to grow as you grow. Go for it, it has to be a lot better than the GH4, and that camera was killer, and still is. But easy to spend your money! :grimace:

I'd be worried you're not gonna like going from full frame to m43 and you won't like going from Canon to something else. I'm not all that crazy about "Canon colors" but a lot of Canon users are absolutely miserable when they move to something else. The move to a smaller sensor and the change in colors, it's a constant complaint you see on forums from Canon users. "I don't like what I'm seeing." I would hold onto the 6D and make sure the company you get the GH5 from has a liberal return policy.

• Administrators
On 11/02/2017 at 11:30 AM, Tsarbomba said:

With the GH5 it isn't just the specs, the whole package is much easier to use than a Sony or Canon 6D. Way better ergonomics for video than the Canon. Way better interface and button layout than the Sony, as well as better screen visibility in bright sunlight.

The A6500 still has the rolling shutter problems of the A6300, whereas the GH5 has this truly sorted.

It's well worth the extra $600 but if you think it is over-specced, you can save money by selling your 6D (which is absolutely crap for video quality) and getting a used Sony A7S instead.

It may not have the 10bit, 4K, logical menus, etc. or refined ergonomics of the GH5 but it's only about $200 more than what you can sell your 6D for.

Unless you need the 6D for stills (fast AF), get rid.