Stylized Grades?

mercer

I know most people enjoy more natural grades, but I thought it could be fun to see some stylized grades from different cameras.

Here are two versions of a shot I did with the RX10ii in Cine2.

The first version I did with FilmConvert...

IMG_0876.JPG

And this one I used Mojo ii. There's a little too much magenta in the sky, but I am having some problems with what I am seeing on my monitor in FCPX, compared to the exported version on my phone...

IMG_0877.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm not colorist but for me in the first one photo the narrative subject is the sky. in the second photo is the grass.

I wish to see a third version where the man walking is more the subject. maybe starting from the second version you could underexpose only the man.

the first one is more dramatic ad give me a sense of "wet", "rotten"... the second is a little bit a peaceful sense of nature. both are cool! :)

17 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

I'm not colorist but for me in the first one photo the narrative subject is the sky. in the second photo is the grass.

I wish to see a third version where the man walking is more the subject. maybe starting from the second version you could underexpose only the man.

the first one is more dramatic ad give me a sense of "wet", "rotten"... the second is a little bit a peaceful sense of nature. both are cool! :)

Good points. I will try that. 

4 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Had a similar problem: 

Solved by setting the Luma range ;)

This wasn't shown to fix, even though I'm sure it could use some work... I did each in about 3 minutes. It was just a way to show different types of stylized grades as opposed to the more natural style that most people on the board (myself included) prefer. 

13 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Mornings without coffee, i misread what you wrote, sorry bro :) Anyway both are nice, looking forward to the video.

Ehh... it's just fun sometimes to see how much you can push footage around and get different "looks." I will try messing around with the Luma range... always looking for pointers. 

I thought people would be interested in sharing more stylized grades... oh well. The first two I posted were done with programs that are "looks" oriented... this last one was my original version just using curves saturation and an Impulz LUT...

IMG_0878.JPG

47 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I like to call my color grades "stylized" simply because I stink at it and end up in some weird places color-wise.  But I do like manipulating stuff away from authentic and more to something "other."

I heard that... the low budget creator has to wear so many hats... and for me... all of those hats don't usually fit.