How much did something like the 16H go for 5 years ago?

Flynn

For those who have been buying anamorphics for years, just wondering if the price has gone up in recent years and by how much. I was just checking out ebay and it looks like even most of the undesirable lenses tend to be priced at around $200. $600 seems to be the going rate for a possibly decent desirable lens, though I guess you never know till you actually have it and can test it. And the really desirable lenses are in that $1,000+ range. Is this how it was 5 years ago?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Flynn said:

For those who have been buying anamorphics for years, just wondering if the price has gone up in recent years and by how much. I was just checking out ebay and it looks like even most of the undesirable lenses tend to be priced at around $200. $600 seems to be the going rate for a possibly decent desirable lens, though I guess you never know till you actually have it and can test it. And the really desirable lenses are in that $1,000+ range. Is this how it was 5 years ago?

Funny, I've been comparing old & new prices [on ebay] recently.

The thing that has me most surprised is that an Iscorama 36 (or pre-36) doesn't go for more than a 54 - so plastic-fantastic doesn't outshine a full metal jacket!

So to answer your initial question, I bought my Kowa for B&H (similar to a 16H) for £200 about 5/6 years ago.

2 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Funny, I've been comparing old & new prices [on ebay] recently.

The thing that has me most surprised is that an Iscorama 36 (or pre-36) doesn't go for more than a 54 - so plastic-fantastic doesn't outshine a full metal jacket!

So to answer your initial question, I bought my Kowa for B&H (similar to a 16H) for £200 about 5/6 years ago.

Thanks. That Kowa B & H seems to be one of the more desirable lenses. Not only are the popular lenses much more expensive, but I suspect there are far fewer of them available. It's a seller's market.

Just now, Hans Punk said:

Especially the 54 currently on eBay for £8800 ;) 

Didn't mention that anomoly on purpose - think that guy has his head in the clouds!

Hope he gets his price, cause i've got both Voigtlander close up lenses (+1 & +2) & other assorted things.

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

Thanks. That Kowa B & H seems to be one of the more desirable lenses. Not only are the popular lenses much more expensive, but I suspect there are far fewer of them available. It's a seller's market.

Not too sure that it's solely down to it being a seller's market, but that people are over charging/being greedy?

But hey, I'll probably sell some of mine if the prices continue to go up or stay the same - would be stupid not to take advantage!!!!

Those multi-coloured isco projection lenses used to go for £50 a few years ago, but now they seem to go for a lot more!

Also, I think that people need to realise that these anamorphic lenses are, for the most part, projection lenses & there is a lot of competition from those that want to use them to project films. As a consequence, there are still bargins out there, but they aren't necessarily listed like those lenses aimed at those that want to use them to film.

Since the FM module appeared and later on Rectilux, Rangefinder many of these colorful Schneiders/Iscos appeared on Ebay for ridicolous prices. Before they were as cheap as they still should (!) be. All anamorphics raised in price when the DSLR filming began with 5DII GH1,2. Only the Iscorama had a couple of fans in the niche of small gauge film (and Kowas were used by some 16mm enthusiasts and had always a good reputation for projection). Prices always differ a lot: In 2010/2011 I bought the LA7200, Optex for €500,- each which was far too overpriced for nearly unusable glass. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes you pay way too much: Just weeks ago I bought a mint Elmoscope II (Kowa 16H) for €150,-

13 hours ago, Flynn said:

Hoping that Mitakon and some of the other Chinese companies realizes there's a lucrative market for these and gives SLR Magic some competition.

I don't think this will happen because this is a niche market. Of course making videos is popular but also in the recent decades filming was very popular. Schneider/Isco was focusing on that market and tried to make good and useful anamorphics for the enthusiast. They brought everything together. Including diopters, lenses, taking lenses, tools for projection, merchandising and trips with training courses. They even earned two acadamy awards for their technical achievement but that didn't prevent Isco from bankruptcy. I think all attampts from Panasonic (LA700), SLR, Letus, Moondog... are qualitywise on a low level (and unfortunately will be in the future).

21 hours ago, Hans Punk said:

Especially the 54 currently on eBay for £8800 ;) 

That guy is a joker, thinks he can finish off repaying his student loan in one go or something.

I really expected Samyang to enter the budget anamorphic market a long time ago. I even wrote them a heads up email. I am such an influental guy you see, they still haven't given up on signing me with the r&d department..

SLRMagic should work on the quality of their glass a bit more, and for the love of God, please get rid of those baby blue flares.

On a more positive note I am absolutely curious what Forrest Schultz will come up this year. He's been working on his Apollo concept a while now.

I got mine almost exactly 5 years ago (16-H), and prices haven't changed as much as you might think, not for that lens. It's up USD $100-$150, but even mine was $450 if I remember correctly. 

On a side note, yeah. 16-H has proven to be on the true shortlist of top-quality anamorphic lenses. It really is down to personal preference at a certain point. The Moller, the Iscos, and Lomo are the rest of that list, and the Lomos are really not adapters, but full-on cinema lenses. A Kowa 16-H is still an incredibly smart buy. All the camera specs in the world are no substitute for good glass.

16 hours ago, Liszon said:

That guy is a joker, thinks he can finish off repaying his student loan in one go or something.

I really expected Samyang to enter the budget anamorphic market a long time ago. I even wrote them a heads up email. I am such an influental guy you see, they still haven't given up on signing me with the r&d department..

SLRMagic should work on the quality of their glass a bit more, and for the love of God, please get rid of those baby blue flares.

On a more positive note I am absolutely curious what Forrest Schultz will come up this year. He's been working on his Apollo concept a while now.

Thanks for mentioning Forrest Schultz. I wasn't familiar with him but just read a thread he started a couple years ago on the Blackmagic board. Very interesting. Do you know if he is designing primes or an adapter? He mentioned both. Also, any recent word on cost?

23 hours ago, Liszon said:

Good idea! gonna do too. I do believe if manufacturer will receive a few emails on regular basis they might start thinking about possibility.

that was my first question to the moondog labs when i got their iPhone 1.33X adapter from kickstarter, if there s35 version anywhere on the roadmap, didn't get the answer :)

6 hours ago, Liszon said:

Sadly I don't know much more than you do, but I think he's working on a prime set initially. I would love to see an adapter actually but primes make sense too. Find him on vimeo, he posted a test a month ago.

He has posted some really nice footage. I'm impressed he's able to get such nice bokeh from 1.5x. And the bokeh in the recent 1.9x footage is ridiculously beautiful imo. Who knows if the lenses will ever happen, especially at a price people could afford. I'm skeptical but also extremely impressed with what he's accomplished and hope he can make it happen. Exciting.

I really hope he can find a manufacturer to partner with and make it happen. Here's the 1.9x footage I was talking about.