GH5 8K Anamorphic Mode?

Neumann Films

Just toying around with initial tests and compared the recorded frame on the GH5 to an Epic W in 8K...not too far off.  It all comes down to how you process your footage but generally, it seems like it's acceptable to look at the vertical resolution and use that to determine what a good finishing window would be.  For instance, in the Epic W you record 4320 pixels tall in Anamorphic mode and no one has a problem referring to this as 8K Anamorphic.  If you end up scaling down the vertical resolution at all to fit the window, it's generally acceptable to have the horizontal frame scaled up a bit. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

The SLR Magic lenses do not have a great reputation with my friends who have used them.  I have not. So they complain that Vedya dropped their plans for an anamorphic set when the GH4 sensor aspect ratio changed.  I really hope the revive those plans. 

I wasn't a huge fan of the Anamorphot adapters but I don't like using adapters so that probably had something to do with it. The primes are pretty good...lots of character but sharp enough in the center even when wide open.  

3 hours ago, Flynn said:

I wish Panasonic would come out with a 2x adapter. They could even slap the Leica label on it and sell it for a premium.

And you would think they have the perfect camera to match those lenses with as it seems they are starting to push anamorphic.

So, the gh5 anamorphic mode! Is it true that the full sensor is used? Or how much crop is it doing? There are many instances when composing a frame (in anamorphic) that apsc/super35 vertical field of view can be limiting, 4perf/Alexa open frame is ~18mm tall after all... Therefore the option to use the full height of the m43 sensor would encourage Indy DOPs to rent pl glass and still have wide angle hfov.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I'm shooting with the GH5 + 50mm 2x anamorphic this weekend. If I want to use IBIS what should I set the focal length input? keep it at 50, or go to 25?

50mm

I believe anamorphic adapters do not change the FoV/pixel ratio that is necessary to convert angular movement to sensor shift offset. 

Another way to think about it is that anamorphic adapters only affect the horizontal axis FoV and not the vertical axis...

8 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

50mm

I believe anamorphic adapters do not change the FoV/pixel ratio that is necessary to convert angular movement to sensor shift offset. 

Another way to think about it is that anamorphic adapters only affect the horizontal axis FoV and not the vertical axis...

Thanks