Shooting winter sports - camera recommendations and tips?

sgreszcz

I'm planning on shooting some video at the skeleton and bobsled world championships in late February (my brother represents Canada in skeleton).  I want to pick up some general shots to use in some promotional material for my brother, but would also be looking for some slow-motion capture of the starts or turns.  I own the Panasonic GX80 which will do 1080/50fps and a good selection of lenses, and unfortunately my GH5 won't be available util Mid-March.  I also have the zhiyun crane, but have not had tonnes of time to practice with it, unfortunately, but hope to get some time with it before I go.

Can anyone recommend a hybrid consumer camera which might be useful to rent for the high frame rate features - like the Sony RX10iii - or should I just stick with the GX80 that I am familiar with and do the best with the 50fps?

Also, any recommendations or tips on shooting winter sporting events (frame rates, shutter speeds, camera care)?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For sports I would go 50fps and the rest quite a normal operation. Why don't you get a GH4 that does 96fps? 

Batteries usually suffer from cold, get some more than usual, and have a good (or two) power bank(s) to charge on location.

I am not familiar with the Sony, but if you can borrow, or find it for cheap, just put it above your main camera and choose accordingly, or experiment while your brother (and/or other athletes) train.

Maybe wiser is to get the Sony FDR-X3000 which has real stabilizer, 120/100fps on 1080p and 4K/25fps, you should have something from the sled.

Thanks for the tips.  I was shooting today in the wet snow/rain with my two gx80 @50fps.  Been using the Olympus 9-18 and Panasonic 35-100/2.8 with lens hoods to keep spots of the lenses on each of the bodies and my PL15/1.7 for any indoor stuff.  I brought along my PL100-400 but have not used it as have relied on 50fps + ETC for any extra reach.  I shot about 25GB of video and timelapse and only went through about 2.5 batteries.  Need to review the footage now that it is backed up.

11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The rx10iii might be a good idea. The super long zoom lets you capture more of the long track per run. And you can get some cool super slowmo shots. Because doesn't a skeleton go insanely fast?

Yeah, like up to 140kmph but on this track _only_ about 120kmph :) I am only shooting at 50fps due to my PAL camera at 1/100 but I'm not sure if that is the right settings.  I shot some bobsled today so I have to see how the shots turned out.  I maybe should have got the RX10ii for the 150 (180?) fps, but I decided to stay with what I already owned for better or for worse as they wouldn't send me my GH5 early :(

Tomorrow is the finals of skeleton and 4-man bobsled.  My brother is sitting 10th in skeleton, so I'm crossing my fingers for him and for me getting any decent shots.  I've managed to get a press pass, but it is quite the thing to dodge all the real cameramen (they do an awesome job broadcasting on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/bobskeletv) and the press photographers with their massive lenses and monopods (which I really should be using to avoid wobbly-cam with my 35-100/2.8, especially using the ETC...

8 hours ago, 64mulford said:

Don't forget to over expose a couple of stops to avoid the snow looking grey.

Yeah, I've been trying to watch my histogram and 100% zebras and try to expose to the right.  Really hard to remember everything (exposure, composition, getting a clear shot, not getting in the way, staying steady, focus) as fast as things move.  I really respect the live camera men/women as they are our there all day in the cold working the shots.

Good experience, nice to try something other than filming my kids - without my kids and wife around ;).

Eventually I want to interview my brother and put a story together, but I might have to improve before both interviewing him and getting good enough b-roll next year in the run-up to the olympics...