Robber Boys - Canon 5d mark IV testing

hmcindie

My first time playing around with a Canon 5d mark IV. Had the a6300 shooting behind the scenes:

Couple of things I learned:

1. Ewww, how did my jpeg become so ugly in the youtube cover view.

2. DPAF works great, but you may need to fiddle in the menus to stop it from seeking new focus after a face disappears (fast moving action isn't the best use for DPAF). Forwards / backwards moving objects + dpaf is awesome.

3. I was surprised by how much fun taking photos with it was. 7 fps (eventhough it's just one more than the 5d III) seems to increase responsiveness alot.

4. I'm still gonna stick with the 5dmarkIII + RAW video. 4k isn't really that interesting to me. Atleast not yet. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Love your work, man. Just a ton of fun and everything is always so well done. I actually tested out an a6300 due to one of your previous videos. I loved it but I was looking for a specific type of cam for a current project I'm working on. I've gone full circle and am picking up an a6500 this week. 

Back to your video...

It looks great, a nice clean image and the af is great. Side by side with the a6300 bts footage, I'm unsure the 5d4 is any better? Both lack that magic quality of the 5d3 raw, but both would do for almost any indie film. 

I have finally settled on a similar path... the a6500 for 4K, IBIS and PDAF and a BMPCC for that prores or raw goodness.

Thanks for posting this, it was a blast to watch!!!

On 22/01/2017 at 9:03 PM, mercer said:

I have finally settled on a similar path... the a6500 for 4K, IBIS and PDAF and a BMPCC for that prores or raw goodness.

Good luck, should do well!

P.S I just had an interesting shoot where I was doing b-cam with the 5dmarkIII  next to a bmpcc in the cold. The bmpcc didn't like the cold at all, it started shutting itself down and my lord it went through batteries fast. So if you are gonna shoot with the bmpcc, make sure it's above 0 celsius.