Olympus E-M5iii?

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

I would love a cheaper option to the E-M1ii and therefore my hope goes towards an E-M5iii.

Today I noticed that the E-M5ii has been taken of the shelves at several large stores and stocks are running low at the others.

So,

Anyone heard anything?

What would you like to see in it?

Personally I would be happy with 4K, not for the resolution but for less artifacts. And of course the low RS of the E-M1ii.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, Mattias Burling said:

I might, but after the initial price drop. An E-M5iii would probably be a preorder.

You are amazing. People here raise their eyebrows when I tell them I own four cameras and a dozen lenses. :) 

Oh, and I want to thank you so much for bringing the X-T2 and the Zhiyun Crane to my attention: if you hadn't written about them, I might never have even purchased them. Right now, I'm using the Lumix G85 much more, simply because I want to run a lot of tests about best settings, u4/3 lenses and stuff. 

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

You are amazing. People here raise their eyebrows when I tell them I own four cameras and a dozen lenses. :) 

I only two cameras :)

Digital cameras that is. Then I have five or so 35mm film cameras, four MF film, one Large format film, two Polaroid, three s8 and three s16mm :)

(Btw, your xt2 reports have been very interesting.)

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

So you're not buying the Fuji X-T20, huh?

I'm interested in this camera as well.  I'm certainly looking at alternatives these days.  Since my wife is on Fuji, I might end up there too.  Really kind of depends on the next project.  There's a chance I could go upscale and get a "real" video camera even though I love doing things on hybrids.

12 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I only two cameras :)

Digital cameras that is. Then I have five or so 35mm film cameras, four MF film, one Large format film, two Polaroid, three s8 and three s16mm :)

(Btw, your xt2 reports have been very interesting.)

Is one of them a M9?

34 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'm interested in this camera as well.  I'm certainly looking at alternatives these days.  Since my wife is on Fuji, I might end up there too.  Really kind of depends on the next project.  There's a chance I could go upscale and get a "real" video camera even though I love doing things on hybrids.

FS5 with Raw upgrade?

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Perhaps renting an Alexa.  I have a colleague that can cut me a break. It's all sort of up in the air and depends on budget.  Would be nice to play with pro gear and not make as many compromises, no question.

Why rent when you can just buy one...

I finally saw The Revenant and then watched The Witch, both shot with the Alexa and available light and both look so freaking amazing. I think The Witch used Cookes but I'm not a hundred percent sure on that. I know how you feel, if I were a better operator like some of you guys are, I would be drooling over that pro equipment.

My new obsession is the 1080p/4K Raw from the FS5... hell even the in camera 4:22 1080p looks great... I'll never afford to be able to shoot with it, but damn is that a nice image. However it did tempt me into buying an a6500... The AF and IBIS on a Super 35mm sensor was just too damn appealing... I couldn't resist. 

However, I can't even imagine what it would be like to shoot with an Alexa... way too much camera for me.

Good luck with it!!!

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Curious how close to an EM1ii the EM5iii will be. There was a three year wait between the EM5 and EM5ii but both were announced in early February. So maybe they'll announce the EM5iii in a few weeks.

One can hope. The current E-M5ii is sitting in quite a weird spot as very little would make one get it instead of the Pen-F (new sensor) for a little more or the E-PL8 (same sensor) for a lot less.
Not to mention the very affordable and smaller E-M10ii with 95% of the features.
So maybe it will get an update a bit sooner.

22 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

What would you like to see in it?

Personally I would be happy with 4K, not for the resolution but for less artifacts. And of course the low RS of the E-M1ii.

I'd like to see the new hybrid autofocus but I doubt it will have it. Also figure it'll have less robust weather sealing/build and some of the photography features will be less impressive. So what will it gain from the EM1ii? I'm guessing it will have the same stabilization system and sensor. Maybe some video features that the EM1ii doesn't have. All for half the price of an EM1ii.

3 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

One can hope. The current E-M5ii is sitting in quite a weird spot as very little would make one get it instead of the Pen-F (new sensor) for a little more or the E-PL8 (same sensor) for a lot less.
Not to mention the very affordable and smaller E-M10ii with 95% of the features.
So maybe it will get an update a bit sooner.

Keep in mind the first EM5 was a ton of camera for the money and made a big splash when it was released. I don't think the EM5ii has had anywhere near the same impact so maybe they'll refresh it sooner. Also, John Brawley once said that Olympus viewed the EM5 cameras as being the more videocentric cameras while the EM1 was more geared towards photographers and at present the EM1ii outclasses the EM5ii in terms of video. Things might've changed, but if it's still the case that EM5 is more for videographers, I'm hoping the EM5iii will have better video specs. Not sure what they would be though. It looks like Olympus threw everything they had into the EM1ii. One thing with Olympus, they likely will improve both cameras through firmware.

Perhaps another sign that the EM5iii is around the corner. You can get the 5ii, plus the 12-40mm f2.8 lens, plus a "free" 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 lens for $1,698. Honestly, this does not look like a decent deal to me. If you're getting the 12-40, the 12-50 is one of the last lenses you'd want. They also have the 5ii body only for sale for $999 and a free 12-50mm. That makes more sense. Still, not that great of a deal imo, unless you really want the 12-50. So after typing this up, this looks like a run of the mill deal from Olympus. I can't imagine too many rushing to get the remaining 5ii's for this deal.