raw to tiff and white balance

Dan Wake

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Every raw file "development" program that I have used initially defaults to the camera's settings.  Of course, one can usually change from the default settings to adjust white balance, exposure, camera profile, etc., but it probably depends on which program that you are using to convert from raw to .tiff.

2 hours ago, tupp said:

Every raw file "development" program that I have used initially defaults to the camera's settings.  Of course, one can usually change from the default settings to adjust white balance, exposure, camera profile, etc., but it probably depends on which program that you are using to convert from raw to .tiff.

I'm sorry I didn't got it yet, so the true tiff format can keep inside all that extra informations such as white balance, exposure? tiff is better than raw for image quality? thx

22 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

I'm sorry I didn't got it yet, so the true tiff format can keep inside all that extra informations such as white balance, exposure? tiff is better than raw for image quality? thx

Well Tiff is a larger file than Raw, but Tiff on average is only a 8bit file, and looses information, ergo quality, every time to use it compared to Raw nthat on paper never looses data, info. Tiff is a older format that was used mostly years ago. I would stick to Raw. It saves spase because a lot of info is backed into the camera about locations, compression, size, etc.

But some raw files are not looseless so not as good as one might think data wise. The A7rII was a camera that raised a stink about being compressed. Now it is not.

Tiff files are huge, so I would pass on using them. But no expert on the subject. It was a big deal when the first digital cameras came out. Now not so much, I had some of the first ones that came out. GAS even then for not so much of a old turd like I am now.  :bawling:

6 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

I'm sorry I didn't got it yet, so the true tiff format can keep inside all that extra informations such as white balance, exposure?

Evidently, the TIFF format has metadata designations that include camera make, model, color profile, orientation, exposure, etc. (see the linked exif file below).

6 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

tiff is better than raw for image quality?

The highest quality still file that your camera produces will give the best image quality.  However, it can be unwieldy or visually detrimental to directly edit raw camera files.

Some still photographers first run their raw camera files through a raw image "processor/developing" program (such as Lightroom), before retouching them in an editing program such as Photoshop.  I use the open source Darktable as my processing program and GIMP as my photo editor.

I just checked the exif info in a tiff that I converted from a raw file using Darktable and the metadata is extensive:  tif_exif_info.txt  (Note that I was using a manual lens on a Canon EOSM, so there is no lens/f-stop info).