[SHORT REVIEW] Feelworld FW760 7" Field Monitor

Ronnie Amighetti

In case anyone's interested:

Got to play with a Feelworld FW760 7" field monitor, connected to my GX80. It came with the latest software review in which they bumped up the input formats to 4K.

The monitor in itself is quite nice, building is average but you totally get what you pay for. The kit came with a coldshoe ballhead support, sunhood mounting frame, sunhood, HDMI cable (mini to regular) and documents. Main features:

• 4K input support
  • 4 assignable function button for direct access 
  • Safe frames, aspect ratio masks
  • Focus peaking
  • Sony NP battery

It does what it is supposed to do except for a few quirks that I don't really like:

• Huge latency on the signal: annoying and very visible, I know it's the monitor beacuse the camera connected to my TV doesn' show the same behaviour. I guess that might be because of the 4K update, the few reviews I saw on the web didn't show any of this latency
  • Signal is intermittent, don't know if it's a cable problem (only got one HDMI micro to regular to test with) or what, but right of the box the first 30 minutes or so it was quite a pain in the ass, then it started acting a bit smoother
  • A few bugs in the software: powered up and the images was so oversharpened it was painful to look at. Dialed down to 20 (from stock 50) and all was good. Problem is as soon as you activate focus peaking and then deactivate it sharpness is back to stock value and you gotta dive into the menu once again. Very annoying. Zebra show some strange behaviour. You can dial them in from 0 to 100 but your changes take place only if you have them activated. If you have zebra off and set them to 70 and turn them on they'd be at their previous (random) value. Makes no sense at all.
  • Feelworld website is probably one of the worst I've ever seen. There's no info on software or firmware or whatever. I looked at their Facebook page and it's worse.

I'll keep it for a few days and then make my mind up. It's a tad too big for my tastes, I was looking to build a small and easy to carry around rig so 5" was my choice but I couldn't find any cheap monitor that size. 

My 2 cents.

IMG_5503.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5505.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ronnie, in regards to the latency, since this is a 1080p monitor in which the firmware has been updated to handle 4K input, the long latency may be due to the performance of the in-monitor scaler. Have you tried setting the HDMI output from the camera to 1080p and seeing if the latency improves? I would not be surprised if the in-camera's scaler performance for 1080p HDMI output is superior to that of the monitor's.

Also, selecting "P2P" will disable the in-monitor scaler and 1920x1080 input should then appear on the 1920x1200 LCD monitor with small black bars above & below. This setup should produce the least latency.  

Latency is important to me because I shoot soccer with a HC-750. I've tried to use a Lippitut 7" 5DII (480p) with this camera. It's OK for framing the action, but the res is too low to closely observe the action. (It works better for semi-static athletics like High-Jump  and it's nice to have in the field for review purposes when working with a coach.) Even with its supplied hood, the reflectivity of the Lilliput's screen is very high and wearing a cap only helps a little. Have you tried the FW-760 outside yet in bright sunshine?

What is the Firmware version in your monitor, so we can see if later revisions appear?

Dan.

I have the 760 without the update so all it can ingest is 1080, and even in hd there is a latency issue where the image lags and you could see a kind of divided image where it resolves the top third of the frame then the middle then the bottom, sometimes it´s just half the frame...  I´ve learned to live with it since is the cheapest monitor with an anamorphic desqueeze mode. Do you know where can we get the firmware update? It would be helpful for focus.

Thanks guys. As far as downscaling, unfortunately the GX80 doesn't have any option about it in that it does it automatically. The only option is a manual downscaling but in Play mode only. I'll test it out anyway cause I'm not that sure about the menu choices in camera. 

I'll also take a look at the P2P option and mess with it. 

Will let you know software version later. Just got home after two very looooong days. Still have to unpack my stuff. 

Uh BTW another small flaw I discovered today while shooting: the monitor show a No Signal sign and turns off if you frame something black. I guess it turns off automatically if the IRE levels goes below a certain threshold. Weird. Camera kept rolling and the image turns back to normal right after you put something in the frame.

I guess the intermittent signal I pointed out in my first post was due to this very same reason. I just wasn't smart enough to put two and two together while testing.

10 hours ago, elgabogomez said:

I have the 760 without the update so all it can ingest is 1080, and even in hd there is a latency issue where the image lags and you could see a kind of divided image where it resolves the top third of the frame then the middle then the bottom, sometimes it´s just half the frame...  I´ve learned to live with it since is the cheapest monitor with an anamorphic desqueeze mode. Do you know where can we get the firmware update? It would be helpful for focus.

I looked around but there seems to be no way to get any firmware update. I was cool with that, in fact I thought I would get the plain FW760 model and doublechecked that my GX80 would output a 1080p signal (which in fact it does, just automatically) but when I got the monitor I was surprised to see that it showed a 4K signal on input. I then saw the updated specs on FeelWorld website (don't remember if it was on the official one or the german one).

16 hours ago, dosdan said:

Latency is important to me because I shoot soccer with a HC-750. I've tried to use a Lippitut 7" 5DII (480p) with this camera. It's OK for framing the action, but the res is too low to closely observe the action. (It works better for semi-static athletics like High-Jump  and it's nice to have in the field for review purposes when working with a coach.) Even with its supplied hood, the reflectivity of the Lilliput's screen is very high and wearing a cap only helps a little. Have you tried the FW-760 outside yet in bright sunshine?

Just a brief test yesterday before leaving home. Cranking backlight to max and using the sunhood helped. I'd call it usable but it is my first field monitor so I don't have any comparison to fall back to.

I would consider this monitor too cheap for 4K use. I am eyeing for some months the new Ikan 5 inch, which seems as a much better construction, less features, better performance. Seeway makes an identical cheaper one, but can not find in Europe. 

If I can get by with a cheap Feelworld, or whatever, really, then I would be really happy to spend much less than the -almost- 500€ I need for an ok one. 

Also, in 500€, you are reaching BM videoassist territory, which is tempting, but I am not sold yet!

6 hours ago, Stephent said:

When you say the latency is bad, how bad are we talking? Half second, second, more?

Bad as in 200ms or more. Just a guess, but it's very noticeable. 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I would consider this monitor too cheap for 4K use. I am eyeing for some months the new Ikan 5 inch, which seems as a much better construction, less features, better performance. Seeway makes an identical cheaper one, but can not find in Europe. 

If I can get by with a cheap Feelworld, or whatever, really, then I would be really happy to spend much less than the -almost- 500€ I need for an ok one. 

Also, in 500€, you are reaching BM videoassist territory, which is tempting, but I am not sold yet!

Same here. I was this close to buyin' the Neway OEM (or so it seems) of Ikan DH5e (via Personal View) but then a friend bought the FW760 and offered it to me for a test. Of course I was very interested considering the cost. So far the flaws make for a difficult decision. And most of all I was (and still am I guess) looking for a smaller monitor. Just like I suspected the 7" feels a bit too much for my setup and my taste.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:40 PM, Ronnie Amighetti said:

I'll keep it for a few days and then make my mind up. It's a tad too big for my tastes, I was looking to build a small and easy to carry around rig so 5" was my choice but I couldn't find any cheap monitor that size. 

Yes it is a damn pity there are no real options when it comes to super affordable 5" (or even 4") monitors with at least semi ish decent specs (like say the  Feelworld FW760 has). 

On 1/23/2017 at 1:22 AM, Ronnie Amighetti said:

Same here. I was this close to buyin' the Neway OEM (or so it seems) of Ikan DH5e (via Personal View) but then a friend bought the FW760 and offered it to me for a test. Of course I was very interested considering the cost. So far the flaws make for a difficult decision. And most of all I was (and still am I guess) looking for a smaller monitor. Just like I suspected the 7" feels a bit too much for my setup and my taste.

That Neway is kinda tempting, anyone here using it and can report back about it?

A small update: I contacted both FeelWorld China & Germany (the latter seems to be their official representative in EU). Let's see if they give me a reply.

So far I've enjoyed the monitor. Slowly but steadily I0'm growing spoiled to the 7". It might be cumbersome in some situation but it's damn cool for framing and looking back at footage. The flaws I highlighted are still there, but I'm trying to work around them. So far I have the function menu mapped as: 1. Pixel to Pixel 2. False Colors 3. Histogram 4. Peaking

I try and not use the peaking because of that sharpening problem. The P2P function works great, as does False Colors. I was able to kinda match the colors to the on camera screen and so far so good.

I'll keep you updated.

BTW, I also wrote to Cinemartin asking specifically if their monitor shows the same flaws. As I noted above the Cinemartin and Feelwrold share the same exact software so I suspect they might be the same monitor in a different housing.

Let's see.

Hey Ronnie, what couldn't the 5 or 7" BM video assist, or an Atomos monitor offer you that won't be still relevant, and probably still working in 2 years time. By then your Feelworld will possibly be cactus, and you'll most likely be looking at a BMD or similar camera anyway. Ya get what you pay for I reckon. 

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

Hey Ronnie, what couldn't the 5 or 7" BM video assist, or an Atomos monitor offer you that won't be still relevant, and probably still working in 2 years time. By then your Feelworld will possibly be cactus, and you'll most likely be looking at a BMD or similar camera anyway. Ya get what you pay for I reckon. 

You're 117% right. There is one and one only issue: money. :-)

I've had a Video Assist in my favourites from a second hand website for weeks now. I just can't afford it. Plain and simple.

As I mentioned somewhere else I come from an audio background (I still record and tour as a day job) so I'm way too well aware about "the more you spend the less you spend". 

To be honest, the Video Assist 5" fits my needs and more, but it's about double the budget I have at the moment. Video is still a hobby, a very lovely one, but still...

On 1/25/2017 at 9:41 AM, Kisaha said:

Aputure seems to be all over the place right now!

I am wondering, we have perfectly fine 5, 5.5 or 6+ inch mobile phones, why not turn them to monitors?!

No HDMI inputs on them :(:( Maybe once USB-C becomes mainstream we might see some options using that as an input?!