RODE VideoMic Pro+

photographer-at-large

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

I too saw this yesterday. The circuitry from the VideoMic X should substantially improve the quality of the mic. Overall, with all the bells and whistles, it's a great improvement over the earlier version. I am wondering, though, whether Rode would ever create a mic with dual recording (one fed into the camera, and one into an SD or MicroSD Card?). 

Wow! That is a lot of interesting improvements. But I agree with sanveer, having one of these with a back up internal recording with the microphone would be nice. 

Anyway, I won't be upgrading, my older model can do just fine for its basic job of scratch audio. 

However, *this* announcement by RODE excited me even more:

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Wow! That is a lot of interesting improvements. But I agree with sanveer, having one of these with a back up internal recording with the microphone would be nice. 

Anyway, I won't be upgrading, my older model can do just fine for its basic job of scratch audio. 

The SoundField mic interested me a lot too. This may actually be pretty good for wildlife NatGeao kindda ambient sound work. And, its pickup patter is so highly adjustable, it could be used as a mini-shotgun mic too, if one doesn't have a separate shotgun mic. Its like a Mic Version of what the Zoom H2n and other recorders can do. Very interesting. 

10 minutes ago, sanveer said:

..... I am wondering, though, whether Rode would ever create a mic with dual recording (one fed into the camera, and one into an SD or MicroSD Card?). 

VideoMic HD was announced, but never shipped:

http://webvideouniversity.com/blog/2012/01/27/rode-videomic-hd-a-high-quality-video-microphone-and-digital-recorder-in-one/

4 minutes ago, photographer-at-large said:

Thanks for posting that link. I remember Rode speaking about, and never getting it to the market. But, I didn't know that they actually showed a working prototype or drawing of it.. Maybe mic manufacturers are not making a mic that records too, so that field recorder manufacturers do not boycott mic makers that try and get into their markets. I am guessing, it may have little to do with a technology and expertise limitation.

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

The SoundField mic interested me a lot too. This may actually be pretty good for wildlife NatGeao kindda ambient sound work. And, its pickup patter is so highly adjustable, it could be used as a mini-shotgun mic too, if one doesn't have a separate shotgun mic. Its like a Mic Version of what the Zoom H2n and other recorders can do. Very interesting. 

Looks really interesting, anyone know what you would need to record in B-Format, I guess it needs an external recorder? How cool would have been if this mic had an internal microsd recorder that could record this B-Format audio....

Will it be able to record both in camera with the defined pattern and simultaneously on the external B-Format recorder?

10 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Looks really interesting, anyone know what you would need to record in B-Format, I guess it needs an external recorder? How cool would have been if this mic had an internal microsd recorder that could record this B-Format audio....

Will it be able to record both in camera with the defined pattern and simultaneously on the external B-Format recorder?

Not sure both would be recorded simultaneously, unless it had dual output plugs or an internal flash recording capability (I am guessing it has neither). Maybe to an external recorder. 

It has the dual output because it has the jack and plus the multipin plug (just below the jack) you can see it on the video at 4:00, but not sure if they work both at the same time and the jack processed and the other not and what kind of device you would need for the b-format. On Rode website they have no info yet....

18 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

It has the dual output because it has the jack and plus the multipin plug (just below the jack) you can see it on the video at 4:00, but not sure if they work both at the same time and the jack processed and the other not and what kind of device you would need for the b-format. On Rode website they have no info yet....

Multi-pin B-Format Output. hmmm ... yes, I guess, it will allow it to record into the DSLR (or whatever else it is mounted on), as well as into a recorder that records the B-Format for post work. Very interesting.

• 2 months later...

Yeah I'm thinking the same. This and the soundfield mic were announced 4 months ago, and since then haven't heard a peep. 
I need a videomic, so I've been waiting.. .but I'm wondering if it is ever going to come out now. 

On 1/19/2017 at 6:31 AM, IronFilm said:

Ambisonic recording is amazingly cool! I'm currently using the Sennheiser Ambeo into a Zoom F4 (will probably switch to a Sound Devices MixPre-6 at some point to get the excellent analog limiters). So far only used in the studio. For on-camera it would have been super helpful if Rode had built a SD/MicroSD card into the device (+ low-noise ADCs etc.) to allow direct recording of the 4 track audio.

58 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@jcs How is the Ambeo doing?! I am a big Senny fun, trust most things they have, very well thought and execution. I would probably wanted something a little more directional though, something like the 440 for 360!

The Ambeo works great! We're going to start recording gongs and bowls in Ambisonic 3D, for meditation (mixed down to binaural using an HRTF). Are you familiar with Ambisonics? The recording is basically 3D. In post you can rotate the sound source in 3D, and simulate pretty much any kind of mic from an omni to a narrow shotgun. Then for playback you can create 5.1, 7.1 or binaural with an HRTF (3D spatialized). For directional we use Schoeps (shotgun and hypercardioid) and Audix (hypercardioid)).

@jcs Yes, in theory, I am planning to eventually offer some very basic (in sound), amateurish (in sight) services and I am looking the audio options as everything is quite new right now.

Unfortunately there aren't any cheap video alternatives at the moment (something around 2500$) to experiment with sufficient results.

Do you need any other hardware or software for the post? I see Sennheiser offer their own plug in.

How do you use the directional mics? you make a similar arrangement like the Ambeo but with different mics?

What do you think between Schoeps and Audix (I am considering a mic for indoors dialogue, but I would prefer to avoid the triple priced Schoeps at the moment, because the jobs are not paying for the best!)?

What I said previously, like they put 2 400 capsules and created a directional stereo arrangement, I would prefer having 4 400 capsules in the Ambeo arrangement, and create a super portable directional Ambeo. In our line of work, directionality is something I seek most of the times, and I can mix down whatever I do not want, while with cardioid it is difficult to mix up things in the background!

@Kisaha, to start working with Ambisonics, get http://www.reaper.tv/ and http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/. You can place mono and stereo recordings in 3D space, then render them out to stereo, binaural 3D (for use with headphones, using an HRTF to convert to stereo will localize the sound in 3D- left/right/up/down/front/back vs. simple stereo or 5.1/7.1 etc. (which are planar 3D- no elevation)).

Putting together single full-sized mics to get an Ambisonic recording might be challenging (physically). The best way at the moment is with 4 bare mic capsules arranged in a tetrahedron. This will capture "A" format (4 channels). The Sennheiser plugin converts this A format to "B" format (still 4 channels) which can then be manipulated by Ambisonic processing- placing the recorded source in any 3D location, simulate any kind of mic and mic direction, etc.

You can also get pretty cool 3D like results with a mid-side recording. This is typically a shotgun/hypercardioid and a figure 8 mic. Use http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/ to adjust the sound field of a mid-side recording in post. With speakers and headphones, some of my mid-side recordings sound ultra-real in 3D, meaning you'll turn around thinking something recorded just happened in real life. I experimented with mid-side using directional mics and a cheap ribbon mic (figure 8) and it sounded really good, so I purchased an Audio Technica BP-4029 which works well on camera too. In post you can get a tight shotgun, wide stereo, or anything in-between, and it can sound very 3D/real. The Ambeo and all tetrahedral mics (4 capsules) are the 3D extension of mid-side mics with two capsules. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambisonics

• 1 month later...