Some G85/Video Assist questions (trigger, 16-235, LUTs)

aldolega

I'm all set to pick up a G85 and 5" Video Assist soon, but I haven't been able to find adequate answers to the following questions, hopefully someone here can help:

1. Does the G85 output a record trigger over HDMI, and does the Video Assist recognize it? I know the GH4 has the trigger, and the VA sees it, so I would assume the G85/VA would work fine too, but I wanted to be sure.

2. I read that the VA records everything as 16-235, regardless of what the camera is putting out. So GH4 users just had to switch the camera to 16-235, no big deal other than I guess technically a slight loss in tonality (less values to use), which in 10-bit is not such a big deal: however the G85 only does 0-255 or 16-255- no 16-235! So will the VA not record anything above 235, thus losing my highlights forever? Or is this more of a tag/flag issue in the file, where the highlights are there, but I just need to adjust input or output levels in my NLE to regain them?

3. Related to #2- assuming the 16-235 issue can be corrected in my NLE, how exactly would I go about creating a monitoring LUT that would let me see those above-235 values on the VA screen?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs