LOMO Anamorphic Lenses

Joecastelli

Hey everybody! :glasses:

i have some questions about lomo anamorphic lenses.

i never before work with lomo but i love the look!

my setup is a RED EPIC MX PL 5K Super35 SENSOR.

What LOMO Version / Model can I take for my setup and what is the best.

Someone here they SELL one or two LOMO Lenses.

Thanks for your time

best regards.

johann

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

my advise would be find a local renthouse try it for a day or two before offloading thousands $$$, lomo anamorphics are very different from those lomo spherical PL lenses, especially in weight and size (and price :); Originally they come in ОКС mount, but most of them are PL converted now;

'one or two' lomo anamorphics could be $10-20K, or more, depending on focal l. and condition;

what's the best lens for your camera? sorry, i'm lost:))

+1 for the recommendation to rent.

unless you plan to buy a set to then rent (between using for your own projects) - there is little financial sense to own...unless you are a very wealthy individual. The 'Best' Lomo anamorphics tend to be whatever has been serviced and colimated by Olex or other respected camera technition that services such lenses. Most 'shoot friendly' versions are the oct-19 roundfronts that have been converted to PL. All lomo anamorphics were designed for S35, 75mm + versions will technically cover full frame when shooting larger sensor area when shooting in 4:3 mode. The roundfront versions are monoblock designs - not needing rail support to operate the focus mechanism like the older oct-18 versions. For a shooting set of 35/50/80/100 lomo roundfront PL lenses in good serviced and clean optical condition, you are looking at a ballpark figure of $50k 

33 minutes ago, ken said:

Many cheapest lens seller claim as LOMO, like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/282323819986

Are they really made by the same manufacturer?  

It is a lomo yes, but it is a projection lens not a true cinema lens like the square and round front lenses. 

There were originally made in 2 mounts Oct18 and Oct19. Both can be converted to PL and there are adapters that can work for going from Oct18 to pl. If you get a Oct18 to PL adapter be sure it is like the one from Ciecio7 with the locking pin otherwise it won't focus properly. There is also an Oct19 mount for red that can be used or you can often times find Lomos that have already be converted to PL since many already have already been.

The round fronts are the newest and also the largest and heaviest. The will all be PL or Oct19 and are the most expensive. Next are the single lens square fronts that will either be OCt19 or PL, they are lighter smaller and cheaper than the round fronts. Lastly are the dual lens Oct18 mount versions most often they are still with their orignal mount. These lenses are about the same overall size as the single part square fronts but are less expensive and not quite as good due to them being two separate lenses that lock together with a pin so both the spherical and anamorphic can be focused in unison. They also require lens support for the anamorphic front otherwise it will rotate during focus. If going this route finding ones already converted or having them converted to PL by Dima at conversiontopl.com would be best. He offers a great mod which not only converts the Oct18 to PL but also adds a PL style locking mechanism to the spherical and anamorphic front so they are almost like single bodied squarefronts. The tight fit allows for better collimation and quality like the more expensive ones but it will still require lens support to prevent the anamorphic front from rotating.

3 hours ago, ken said:

Many cheapest lens seller claim as LOMO, like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/282323819986

Are they really made by the same manufacturer?  

Yes. Can be reworked, but cons yet double focus... On man made mechanic single focus for this lens

https://www.facebook.com/anamorphicru-310006809400799/

As an alternative, it is an interesting variant. Some automation on post for right proportions, when change focus, breathing, one special taking lens, but quite cheap compared to other solutions. And there is no additional optics, which makes its own distortion.

My thread about this ana here