Best 120p + camera advice

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I do humble camping trips and keeping it light and easy is a nightmare. 

I do some walking, but nothing extreme (not even close to exotic places), and the weather here in south east Europe is rather mild (or if it is snowy like right now, we don't even go out for work!) and still I am trying to pack as less as possible.

How are you going to move all this equipment on site? It can be a logistics nightmare.

I usually take in one camera bag a NX3000 (this is my "crash" cam) 230gr, NX500 292gr, NX1 550gr, and 10mm 72gr / 12-24 208gr / 16-50S 622gr / 45mm 115gr.

Maybe you should choose between systems, Nikon or Sony, it can be more convenient for batteries, accessories etc, these are taking space and some weight too.

Also the big decision is if you really need full frame or not, that can make a huge difference in size and weight ratio.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I do humble camping trips and keeping it light and easy is a nightmare. 

I do some walking, but nothing extreme (not even close to exotic places), and the weather here in south east Europe is rather mild (or if it is snowy like right now, we don't even go out for work!) and still I am trying to pack as less as possible.

How are you going to move all this equipment on site? It can be a logistics nightmare.

I usually take in one camera bag a NX3000 (this is my "crash" cam) 230gr, NX500 292gr, NX1 550gr, and 10mm 72gr / 12-24 208gr / 16-50S 622gr / 45mm 115gr.

Maybe you should choose between systems, Nikon or Sony, it can be more convenient for batteries, accessories etc, these are taking space and some weight too.

Also the big decision is if you really need full frame or not, that can make a huge difference in size and weight ratio.

I will have my 65L hiking pack. we go there 17 days and will do 2 5 day trek with full autonomy (camp equipment, food,...) 

So by putting things like tent and so on out of the bag, I easily fit the camera equipment somewhere. 

Last summer I summited a 5200m peak with a full backpack for 2 people cause my buddy carried a full pack of camera AND DJI phantom 3 which is a huge drone. Dont know how we did that. The mavic is going to make my life easier. A D810 does not scares me after transporting a Phantom 3 with me. 

I dont know if I should do a classic relaxed video of time lapses with aerial magnificent views with a nice music. Or a more dynamic video in this style : 

What do you guys think? 

2 hours ago, tomekk said:

This too!

BTW. what tutorials did you use to edit landscapes like that?

I do not use tutorial, I just play with multiple settings on Photoshop using masks and local adjustments. And I use different techniques for each image cause I never remember what I did earlier 

Dynamic is always better! But it will take some time of your trip, and you will need (a lot) more equipment.

Very interesting project is going to be, my last camping trip was at 1200m, I just felt 4000m short of your peak, and my car was 20 minutes walking (slowly) from were I set camp!

Even though I admire you for doing all this heavy lifting, I would try to be really light for such a travel. 

I do not know if there is any danger there, or is it completely safe, but I would prefer to have some more food or medicines, or an important piece of cloth with me than a full frame body and/or huge full frame 2.8 zoom lenses! Health and Safety is what I learned most in UK film school! 

Have you thought about using a top DJI camera, or something like the Osmo raw? They certainly are very small, and you can even mix and match a few m4/3 bodies, lenses and the such. Also, where are you going to charge? Too many days to have the appropriate batteries. Asus Zenpower 10050mAh offers me quite a few charges. 

38 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Dynamic is always better! But it will take some time of your trip, and you will need (a lot) more equipment.

Very interesting project is going to be, my last camping trip was at 1200m, I just felt 4000m short of your peak, and my car was 20 minutes walking (slowly) from were I set camp!

Even though I admire you for doing all this heavy lifting, I would try to be really light for such a travel. 

I do not know if there is any danger there, or is it completely safe, but I would prefer to have some more food or medicines, or an important piece of cloth with me than a full frame body and/or huge full frame 2.8 zoom lenses! Health and Safety is what I learned most in UK film school! 

Have you thought about using a top DJI camera, or something like the Osmo raw? They certainly are very small, and you can even mix and match a few m4/3 bodies, lenses and the such. Also, where are you going to charge? Too many days to have the appropriate batteries. Asus Zenpower 10050mAh offers me quite a few charges. 

I get 3 batteries for the drone. Multiple batteries for the cameras and also 2 bank power of 13000mha each for my phone which will be the GPS and any camera that can be usb charged (RX100 for exemple). 

I will have all necessary safety gear for sure.

Here is a picture of me on the summit of a volcano, 4000m altitude. I did not have any drone and regretted this more than ever. Imagine the drone footage here... (click on image for better quality, photo done with RX100. Similar one without me on my gallery done by the Nikon. See how much better, cleaner and nicer is the Nikon one) 

_DSC5403.jpg

The thing below my hand is another volcano. That was in Guatemala. There is another volcano on the right that we dont see on the image. Super active. A picture is in my gallery: https://500px.com/photo/168838135/fuego-on-fire-by-loup-fsr?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=860266

We spent the whole night camping in front of it, at 3600m before summiting before sunrise. 

Never regretted that much not having a bloody drone with me to fly above the eruption. Would have been a world class incredible footage. Damn 

And by the way the 5200m we did in Bolivia was a preparation Trek for summiting a 6100m summit which we did not do cause a friend broke his collar bone and got surgery in La Paz. Thats the reason why there is actually no video of this Guatemala/Bolivia trip even though I have tons of footage (erupting volcano timelapse anyone..? :) ) 

Hey !

I own an A6300, I regularly shoot with an A7SII, and I also have a RX100 V (had the mkIV too). I can tell you that the best bang for buck would certainly be the A6500.

In terms of 120fps, the best quality is from the RX100 V but the super Phase detection autofocus doesn't work in that mode and of course it has a smaller sensor. Nevertheless, the image quality is so great, moire and aliasing free (well almost, you have to push it). If I remember correctly, the phase detection autofocus works with the A6300 in 120fps. The 120 fps is a little softer, just a little, but makes the images more cinematic, no moire, no aliasing, no visible rolling shutter, all in all very pleasing and useable. The A7S II, well, given its price, I wouldn't go for this camera (big crop in slow mo, less MP for stills...). Except for low light, I think the A6300/6500 is better (video) camera in every respect. There's no doubt you can achieve great stills with an A6500. I'm not saying that those sony cameras are always the way to go (out of the box gamma curve and colors are terrible, it's no legend. You have to shoot s-log2 and tweak the profile and color correct). But it seems to meet your requirements (best 120 fps, good photos).

Enjoy your trip !

54 minutes ago, Papiskokuji said:

Hey !

I own an A6300, I regularly shoot with an A7SII, and I also have a RX100 V (had the mkIV too). I can tell you that the best bang for buck would certainly be the A6500.

In terms of 120fps, the best quality is from the RX100 V but the super Phase detection autofocus doesn't work in that mode and of course it has a smaller sensor. Nevertheless, the image quality is so great, moire and aliasing free (well almost, you have to push it). If I remember correctly, the phase detection autofocus works with the A6300 in 120fps. The 120 fps is a little softer, just a little, but makes the images more cinematic, no moire, no aliasing, no visible rolling shutter, all in all very pleasing and useable. The A7S II, well, given its price, I wouldn't go for this camera (big crop in slow mo, less MP for stills...). Except for low light, I think the A6300/6500 is better (video) camera in every respect. There's no doubt you can achieve great stills with an A6500. I'm not saying that those sony cameras are always the way to go (out of the box gamma curve and colors are terrible, it's no legend. You have to shoot s-log2 and tweak the profile and color correct). But it seems to meet your requirements (best 120 fps, good photos).

Enjoy your trip !

Excellent, thank you. I did not know that the DPAF does not work in 120p with RX100V. Thats a bummer. In Cuba I used the IV and I was pissed by focus all the time. I did not have time to mess around with focus. Just get the shot done quickly before my GF was pissed. The 6500 scores points here. 

@wolf33d Very nice. I envy your great view on top of the volcano. I went up on a volcano on Tenerife about 2 weeks ago and it was a cloudy, windy & snowy mess. Not much of a view, just freezing cold up there.

I've lugged my share of camera equipment up mountains too. My advice is to NEVER bring only one camera. You really should have one really tiny camera that can shoot high quality shots, that you can keep either around the neck or in an accessible pocket. The larger cameras need to be in backpack, especially on the way up mountains, but certainly on longer hikes too. If you have a camera that is easily accessible, you can get shots that you'd never get with your DSLR - just because you can't be bothered to bring it out of the backpack.

On the way down I tend to use the best I have - which is a Nikon D800 - as long as the terrain isn't too tricky and I'm not roped up in a rope team :)

Uo7CSAY.jpg

jY9pbpM.jpg

Another great tip is to keep something to clean up lenses with in some accessible pockets. Sometimes you get really horrible weather - but interesting light or environment for shooting photos.

Whatever 120 fps camera you pick, or whatever mirrorless / dslr you choose - do bring something very portable and closely accessible to use on the way - or you might regret it. I've regretted not having a portable camera for many great sceneries since I couldn't be bothered about getting the camera from the backpack.

Still can't decide between Nikon body for sills and RX100 on gimbal (most lightweight and easy to use since rx100 stays on gimbal) or Nikon body for stills and A6500 on gimbal with 10-18 + sigma 30mm + 55-200

the later is a way heavier option especially with the 3 lenses but they appear to be all essential. Considering the 2x crop in 120p the 10-18 is essential on gimbal. 30mm 1.4 is essential for deapth of field with people shots otherwise the RX100 would just be enough. And 55-200 is essential to reach further than 30mm and be able to film wildlife and glaciers and mountains from far. 

I have to choose between the lighter kit with best 120p or the heavier one giving essentially more reach and more variety of filmic shots with the 30mm 1.4 for people or closeups. 

Tough call. The gimbal being 1kg and the Nikon + lens >1kg too, not to mention the Drone, it might be wiser to take the rx100 only on gimbal, leave it in the side of the backpack strapped always easy to access. Who knows..

As you're hiking just get one camera, the Nikon D500 to do everything  (use Twixtor for the occasional extra slow motion shot?!).

If you must, bring a RX100 mk2 (or mk5) as a back up. (Or RX10 mk2 if you really desire extra reach or longer slow motion shots).

• 2 months later...

Low-Light Comparison at 1080 120p slowed: Sony RX100 IV vs. Sony A7s ii

2000 ISO, f2.8 on the Rx100 IV; f4 (Zeiss 24-70mm) on the A7s ii. the Rx100 IV is first. Both EOSHD Sony Color.

It's like watching paint dry (there is motion), but we see again why the A7s ii is a low-light monster, especially against a 1-incher, even in crop mode.