Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Stab said:

So many people are shooting with pre-production models it seems.

Why do they have one and I don't? :D

Did they contact Panasonic or did Panasonic contact them? Anyone knows where all these people get them from?

Do you have a YouTube channel or blog with 200,000 subscribers? :) If your name begins with Andrew, we can't give you one, sorry!

@jonpais

Fact is, 99% of people NEVER hold the GH5 in their hands. Most AF talk is speculation and assumption.
Furthermore there are surely fanatic GH5-fanboys defending the camera, even it was complete crap (for sure it is NOT). And paid "social media marketers", paid to spread / advocate the most positive aspects of this product and fight criticism...

On the other side, there are enough Pana-hater, trying to question and miscredit nearly all features of the GH5. Why? No clue...Fanboyism and hate aren't very useful for curious potential buyers, but this "war" does influence their decision for sure...It's all about money and fanatism - and this is quite sad...Take a look at the comments on this video - "The GH5 AF-War":

Let's wait until one can regularly buy and properly operate the GH5 and then praise or hate it...It will be more than fair...

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

If by meaningless, you mean that none of the videos we've seen up till now mentioned which settings they used for AF-C sensitivity and speed in video... maybe you're right!

Not just that, but also statement like AF is not good blablabla.....because in simple terms the AF System wasn't used as it should be.

B

22 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

Have to question the quality of Kai's reviews sometimes. He tries too hard to be sarcastic and/or funny, to the detriment of both the entertainment value and information of the review. He starts shooting the Gondola with the sun behind him at one point and then starts complaining about the dynamic range. Around 4:36 there is some cutting between the GH5 footage and the camera man's footage (shot on C300 Mark II), showing both cameras struggling with the lighting. Would have been useful to see some proper A/B comparisons. 

1 hour ago, AKED-M said:

GH5 IOS test, 8 to 10 bit comparison and also to the GH4

That's quite an incredible difference. And I didn't know how bad the GH4 was in low light. I used to shoot my GX7 up to ISO 1600 and this was in 1080p.

1 hour ago, Arikhan said:

I saw this video too...just wondering about the fact, that the 10bit footage is much more noisier than the 8bit footage...

That might explain the differences between different tests. My guess is also:

17 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

10bit is probably nosier because 150Mbps isn't enough for the 10bit colour palette. However, I may be very wrong.

Although it looks the NR is having more difficulty as well. HDMI out/ 400mbps hopefully corrects for it. 

3 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

That's quite an incredible difference. And I didn't know how bad the GH4 was in low light. 

Same here. Dramatic improvement, good job Panasonic!

7 hours ago, AKED-M said:

GH5 IOS test, 8 to 10 bit comparison and also to the GH4

Skin tones and overall color much better than the GH4 as well, but Panasonic has upped their game as far as color goes for some time now. I like this guy's attitude, and the fact that he doesn't try to insert a superlative to describe the camera's performance in every other sentence. Pre-ordered.

@jonpais

Skin tones and overall color much better than the GH4 as well, but Panasonic has upped their game as far as color goes for some time now.

Yeah...I use Pana cams for two years now and there is a huge progress in color science and specially skin tones. I can see this very clear when comparing the skin tones on my "old" FZ1000 with eg your gx85. Lip color appeared on the FZ1000 (without great tweaking or correction in post) in some lighting situations quite "piggish", nowadays Panny color rendition on a gx85 is much more pleasant OOC...

7 hours ago, Arikhan said:

@jonpais

Yeah...I use Pana cams for two years now and there is a huge progress in color science and specially skin tones. I can see this very clear when comparing the skin tones on my "old" FZ1000 with eg your gx85. Lip color appeared on the FZ1000 (without great tweaking or correction in post) in some lighting situations quite "piggish", nowadays Panny color rendition on a gx85 is much more pleasant OOC...

Despite the fact that they had other issues, I still think the peak of Panasonic color science was the HVX200/HPX170/HMC150 days. That's when people called it the panasonic mojo. They've gone backwards since then, though it seems like they are coming back around, slowly but surely.

43 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

All people complaining about Panasonic colors, do you even (know how to) grade?!

No I don't know how to grade, yes I am colourblind, but wow even I could see that the colours of skin and lips on my LX100 were wrong and it had crazy greens.  I always found my olympus cameras to be more natural (although slightly "cool") straight out of camera, but I can also see that my GX80 is much more realistic than my GX7 or LX100.  My old G7 was quite good too.

I'm not sure how much of it is improvement in Panasonic white balance or what, but I definitely like what I see now.  I generally use "natural" when shooting people and I've recently been trying "standard" otherwise for a bit more punch.

But as I say, I don't know much about colour, and I am quite frightened of getting it wrong (you should see how I match clothes).  Especially for skin tones which even I can tell when they look "off".

2 hours ago, sgreszcz said:

No I don't know how to grade, yes I am colourblind, but wow even I could see that the colours of skin and lips on my LX100 were wrong and it had crazy greens.  I always found my olympus cameras to be more natural (although slightly "cool") straight out of camera, but I can also see that my GX80 is much more realistic than my GX7 or LX100.  My old G7 was quite good too.

I'm not sure how much of it is improvement in Panasonic white balance or what, but I definitely like what I see now.  I generally use "natural" when shooting people and I've recently been trying "standard" otherwise for a bit more punch.

But as I say, I don't know much about colour, and I am quite frightened of getting it wrong (you should see how I match clothes).  Especially for skin tones which even I can tell when they look "off".

I have never used a GX7 or LX100, but after shooting on different canons and pannies, i really don't feel like any of these cameras are close to "realistic" :) Even the "great Canon color science" can fails us. I am not a colorist, but after the shoots, each and every time I know what kind of feel I want to push in to the image, so I don't really care if the pannies red channel is 5% undersaturated, or whatsoever. And for skin tones: there's an app for that http://bfy.tw/AJ9N :D

4 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

All people complaining about Panasonic colors, do you even (know how to) grade?!

Yes, do you? But if I didn't, does that mean I shouldn't complain about Panasonic colour rendition? Take a look at the Kai W boating in Cambridge video. The GH5 footage looks like shit, in terms of colour, and the C300II footage looks lovely.

Do you think you could match the GH5 footage from that shoot with the C300 footage, @funkyou86, if you're so fucking amazing?