Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Photo 6K uses H.265 as its base codec and 4K50p/60p 8-bit 420 also uses HEVC.

I wonder if HEVC will come to other 4K modes and if an All-I flavor of H.265 will also come later with the 400 Mbps firmware update or is it the 400Mbps already H.265?

The later firmware update will also add high-resolution Anamorphic Video Mode and Hybrid Log Gamma for 4K HDR Video (for playback on HDR compatible televisions).

Does that mean REC.2020 is also coming?

6 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Did you miss the 400mbps that is coming in summer ? Its going to be close to the quality of either ProResHQ or DNxHR.

I did not miss it. It's for ALL-I only.

As for no-recording while 10bit output is used: I have a written spec that says it. If I see them do that in the interview, I'll gladly stand corrected..

I'll watch the interview about H.264. Thanks for the pointer.

Something fishy are going on!

Even in the presentation video the sensor seems wider than the 4/3 GH4 sensor.

Also, measurements seems to indicate a 1,4ish aspect rato. (Suggesting a multi aspect ratio sensor like the GH1/GH2).

Yet, the pixel dimensons given for the various picture aspects are all the same pixel width. (And same height for 1:1 and 4:3 aspects).

Strange!

UPDATE: The EM-1 Mark II sensor (20ish MP) clearly is in 4/3 aspect.

The GH5 sensor seems wider.

Could be that they chopped off 1 MP at each side to improve read out speed.

Or could be because of IBIS.

sp_camera_e_m1_mark_2_fp_mos_sensor.jpg

3e64c27eba2c801adcb5e1ed20ff50.jpg

9 minutes ago, Eduardo Portas said:

Has any media outlet posted a video sample that shows rolling is in fact reduced?

We saw a train moving for a second during the official product video, but little else.

For me, this is the absolute most important aspect of the new camera at this price range. Otherwise, I'm going back to CCDs ;]

Thanks.

Yes, - 

I forget how far in but he does a quick test. Looks good.

23 minutes ago, Eduardo Portas said:

Has any media outlet posted a video sample that shows rolling is in fact reduced?

"In addition the camera also has a much faster readout of the sensor. In 4K video the sensor read speed is claimed to be 15ms, versus 22ms on the GH4." source

And an example:

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 2.33.24 PM.png

Another example from the video that was posted by the @thecaptiveman:

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 2.47.24 PM.png

Its definitely an improvement but not as good as the E-M1ii and really far away from a global sensor...

On the H.265 and HEVC topic and 400Mbps:

I was assuming that 400Mbps All-I is H.264 but there is nowhere saying which codec is it and when I asked Nick Driftwood on a Live they did on Facebook, he said like the 400Mbps codec was actually H.265 and it would be equivalent to a 800Mbps in GH4 since HEVC has about half the size of AVC.

I'm not sure if he made a mistake but that what he said.

That's something I wrote about some time ago and that it would be interesting to have H.265 All-I version for the GH5, so if it's true and the GH5 is providing both H.264 and H.265 codecs, that's very interesting and quite future oriented approach.

Just now, Jonny said:

Yes he talks about it a little but the test is not comprehensive enough for me to make an opinion. Supposedly it is improved.

Thanks. Cant wait to see how well or not it works. I would be happy with A6300 level. 

For me it's all about usability in the field. Specs are amazing cant complain. Yes it is not FF, yes it has not the best DR, but I think a very good image can still be obtain. Again for me it is all about usability in travel which means IBIS, slowmo, ergonomics, .... and continuous AF in video. 

Looks fantastic for more serious video shooters.

10 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Thanks. Cant wait to see how well or not it works. I would be happy with A6300 level. 

For me it's all about usability in the field. Specs are amazing cant complain. Yes it is not FF, yes it has not the best DR, but I think a very good image can still be obtain. Again for me it is all about usability in travel which means IBIS, slowmo, ergonomics, .... and continuous AF in video. 

Looks like a fantastic video camera and way beyond what most people would ever need.     Certainly beyond what I would need for video.

It may well be TOO good for video for many that would have previously got a GH4 (which is still going to be sold) with the much higher cost.

Forget about it regards being light weight though.  

It seems heavier and mostly larger than every entry level DSLR (Pentax, Canon and Nikon) and around the same size give or take as many mid level DSLRs (heavier than the Nikon D5### cameras and a fraction lighter than a Pentax K5).      Maybe not so many reasons to buy it as a stills camera.

Maybe I might be able to get a cheaper GH4 second hand when I upgrade/replace my GX7 as my second camera in a few months.