Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Anyways, my car can be unable to beat a Ferrari, but if it takes me to wherever the Ferrari or any other takes me, I can still drive it without much further complaints.

No GH5 here yet, but seems pretty enough this AF performance or tap to focus workaround (without mention the focus pulling feature!):

And please don't tell me touchscreen focus is not a valid solution because it is perhaps the best AF way to ever select... AF.

In any camera for any setup. Our brain is surely brighter to handle the job than a machine. Period.

Here's another example that I am not alone on this one:

Emanuel, I too have demonstrated that the AF can be used quite effectively, and this is without touch to focus. In the above videos, he certainly didn't use touch focus, but rather the CAF was running on the fly. I've tended to use 1-area AF and find it quite effective. There are many videos out there where people are getting good results.

I also agree with Tony N., the Sony AF is certainly not perfect either. Been there done that. In fact the Sony, more than the Panasonic, would often refuse to focus on a face that filled up 1/2 of the frame, choosing the background instead. Yes, the Sony CAF is better in general, but having used both, I don't think it's that much better, I really don't. I haven't used the A9, so no comments there.

Is the GH5 AF as good as it could be? No. Is the AF a lot better than some think it is? You betcha! Will Panasonic further improve it in the GH5? I'm betting yes.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Every camera is able to produce the job. DR and highlights are not the major bonus of the GH5. Other than that, it is able to get the task done.

Take a look on this one here:

I bet you'll find it interesting to narrative work. No idea if matches your writing though :-)

PS -- Funny, I've just checked you had been already there, after all. So, seems I somehow guessed it : ))

Haha, yeah that video looks excellent!!! One of the ones that are calling me to the camera... plus I have the same shirt that guy is wearing. 

29 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Emanuel, I too have demonstrated that the AF can be used quite effectively, and this is without touch to focus. In the above videos, he certainly didn't use touch focus, but rather the CAF was running on the fly. I've tended to use 1-area AF and find it quite effective. There are many videos out there where people are getting good results.

Is the AF as good as it could be? No. Is the AF a lot better than some think it is? You betcha! Will Panasonic further improve it in the GH5? I'm betting yes.

:-D You know, I don't post your videos anymore here because you're around. But, you were the first one to say no to that misinformation spread by MY on YT.

I only refer tap to focus because there's no how to blame CDAF for. And it works perfectly well for the automation job :-)

27 minutes ago, mercer said:

Haha, yeah that video looks excellent!!! One of the ones that are calling me to the camera... plus I have the same shirt that guy is wearing. 

Funny coincidence. Here's another one I find pretty interesting from a 20 bucks lens:

7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

:-D You know, I don't post your videos anymore here because you're around. But, you were the first one to say no to that misinformation spread by MY on YT.

I only refer tap to focus because there's no how to blame CDAF for. And it works perfectly well for the automation job :-)

Here's another one I find pretty interesting from a 20 bucks lens:

Effing Chung Dha and his mad skills... his videos always get me. This is one of the more intriguing videos, for me, because I have a couple sets of c-mount lenses with no camera to use them with... Ugh... stop posting these videos you effer... Lol. 

But seriously lowlight looks great, clean shadows... really nice modern look. Of course I am looking at it on my phone... so I reserve the right to be wrong. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Effing Chung Dha and his mad skills... his videos always get me. This is one of the more intriguing videos, for me, because I have a couple sets of c-mount lenses with no camera to use them with... Ugh... stop posting these videos you effer... Lol. 

LOL Order the bitch, she can't hurt you more than 2 grand! ;-)

2 hours ago, mercer said:

My only issue with it is that I have seen a complete mix of amazing footage or horrendous footage.

I've had my GH5 for a week now and have been playing with it. My hopes for it were that it would be an amazing and discreet handheld camera (like the XC10) with very good image quality (unlike the XC10 at high ISO). My concern was that colour wouldn't be up to scratch. I see a lot of Panasonic videos with non-pleasing skin, to my eyes at least. I was excited by 10bit V-Log, and the potential that the colorimetry of the camera could be altered to a certain extent within the limitations of the 10 bit 422 codec.

I know that Leeming luts exist. But accurate colour does not look nice to me. I like the Canon look, and even more than that I like the look of 35mm photographic film. So for the past few days I've been developing two kinds of lut. One is to match the colour and gamma of the GH5 with Magic Lantern Cinelog (ACR) RAW. And the other is to match the colour and contrast of Ektar 100 film. Here are some results of the Ektar lut:

ektar01.jpg

ektar02.jpg

ektar03.jpg

ektar04.jpg

ektar05.jpg

ektar06.jpg

ektar08.jpg

This is a look that I like... a lot. I can see myself shooting V-Log and being confident that the image can be moulded the way I want it.

7 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

I've had my GH5 for a week now and have been playing with it. My hopes for it were that it would be an amazing and discreet handheld camera (like the XC10) with very good image quality (unlike the XC10 at high ISO). My concern was that colour wouldn't be up to scratch. I see a lot of Panasonic videos with non-pleasing skin, to my eyes at least. I was excited by 10bit V-Log, and the potential that the colorimetry of the camera could be altered to a certain extent within the limitations of the 10 bit 422 codec.

I know that Leeming luts exist. But accurate colour does not look nice to me. I like the Canon look, and even more than that I like the look of 35mm photographic film. So for the past few days I've been developing two kinds of lut. One is to match the colour and gamma of the GH5 with Magic Lantern Cinelog (ACR) RAW. And the other is to match the colour and contrast of Ektar 100 film. Here are some results of the Ektar lut:

ektar01.jpg

ektar02.jpg

ektar03.jpg

ektar04.jpg

ektar05.jpg

ektar06.jpg

ektar08.jpg

This is a look that I like... a lot. I can see myself shooting V-Log and being confident that the image can be moulded the way I want it.

Those look great, Mike!!! I was wondering how you were getting along with it. I am kinda thinking the same thing. It's a get up and go camera with a lot of lens options. What lenses are you shooting with? I actually wouldn't get VLog, I'm one of the few people that enjoys CineLikeD. I have always looked to Panny cameras for either a grungy look, or a very modern video look. I won't mix the two cameras, they'll be used for different projects with different needs. I tested slow motion with the 5D3's regular build today... I didn't love it. It actually looks pretty good for a less than 720p vertical resolution, but for the project I need the slow motion for, it doesn't make much sense. How do you like the slow mo? Have you tested the slow/quick function? Variable Frame Rate 4K? Any info would be much appreciated. Btw, am enjoying your 5D3 LUT... if only I could get Color Finale to work now that I've upgraded to Sierra. LOL it's always something. 

To add... I think that may be some of the best color I've seen from the GH5... I have got to get that book you recommended. 

Also, how clean are the shadows?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

But seriously lowlight looks great, clean shadows... really nice modern look. Of course I am looking at it on my phone... so I reserve the right to be wrong. 

Of course no one can pick a camera for anyone, but I can tell you from my experience....GH2, GH4 & now in a month GH5, that these cameras grow on one with use...they really are a pleasure to shoot with.... and the image you want...well that will be up to you...the camera will produce...of course the biggest problem with these cameras are the lenses (you will never be able to pass a pawn shop or yard sale again without browsing)...I think I'm at 26 lenses now not counting anamorphic adapters...I've stopped counting...anyway...if I see one image I love out of a camera, it's enough...I  don't need easy....I need capable...robust and easy to operate....the rest is up to me...and yes...the clip of the motorcycle is great???always things to lure us in life!

10 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Of course no one can pick a camera for anyone, but I can tell you from my experience....GH2, GH4 & now in a month GH5, that these cameras grow on one with use...they really are a pleasure to shoot with.... and the image you want...well that will be up to you...the camera will produce...of course the biggest problem with these cameras are the lenses (you will never be able to pass a pawn shop or yard sale again without browsing)...I think I'm at 26 lenses now not counting anamorphic adapters...I've stopped counting...anyway...if I see one image I love out of a camera, it's enough...I  don't need easy....I need capable...robust and easy to operate....the rest is up to me...and yes...the clip of the motorcycle is great???always things to lure us in life!

Honestly if I was only concerned with IQ, the 5D3 would be enough, but the post workflow is a little long and it lacks some of the simple, or should I say, easy features of the GH5... mostly 60p in 4K and the variable frame rates conformed in camera and 5-axis IBIS. So for me, the 5D3 would be the camera I'd use for my more thoughtful shorts and the GH5 would be for my micro, handheld shorts. With that said, I probably won't get one right now... or I'll order one tomorrow. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Honestly if I was only concerned with IQ, the 5D3 would be enough, but the post workflow is a little long and it lacks some of the simple, or should I say, easy features of the GH5... mostly 60p in 4K and the variable frame rates conformed in camera and 5-axis IBIS. So for me, the 5D3 would be the camera I'd use for my more thoughtful shorts and the GH5 would be for my micro, handheld shorts. With that said, I probably won't get one right now... or I'll order one tomorrow. Lol. 

Aha...we're either blessed or cursed?...depending on location, being unhurried is a good thing...I bought one in the US and the Panny/Leica 12-60 separately as in the US they don't offer it as a kit...it's a $1000 lens...yet in Germany a friend's brother bought that same combo with the lens at $600really beautiful piece of glass...so patience (I have none) is always a good thing...

9 hours ago, Vesku said:

Is it possible to use some LUT to just sharpen the EVF and monitor image?

Not sure about sharpening but for contrast, sure can. Just alter your favourite lut, save it as vlt, and there you go. Use the altered vlt for monitor, real one for post. Nice idea!

Great wholistic review up from the Northrups. Huge work into it, very impressive.

23 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Honestly if I was only concerned with IQ, the 5D3 would be enough, but the post workflow is a little long and it lacks some of the simple, or should I say, easy features of the GH5... mostly 60p in 4K and the variable frame rates conformed in camera. So for me, the 5D3 would be the camera I'd use for my more thoughtful shorts and the GH5 would be for my Micro shorts.

Sorry for some reason I cannot get rid of this post. 

So, earlier in this post I mentioned some features in the FZ2500 that I really enjoyed and looked forward to possibly using with the GH5 but now after looking for them in the manual, I cannot find them. So can someone please confirm if the GH5 has Slow and Quick like the FZ2500 has? Basically you push a button and the video will go from normal motion into slow motion for as long as you hold the button? Please tell me the GH5 has this and please tell me it works in 4K 60p? There was also a Dolly Zoom function. Also can someone please confirm if you can shoot 4K up to 60p in variable frame rate mode so the camera conforms it to 24p?

Thanks!!!

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, earlier in this post I mentioned some features in the FZ2500 that I really enjoyed and looked forward to possibly using with the GH5 but now after looking for them in the manual, I cannot find them. So can someone please confirm if the GH5 has Slow and Quick like the FZ2500 has? Basically you push a button and the video will go from normal motion into slow motion for as long as you hold the button? Please tell me the GH5 has this and please tell me it works in 4K 60p? There was also a Dolly Zoom function. Also can someone please confirm if you can shoot 4K up to 60p in variable frame rate mode so the camera conforms it to 24p?

Thanks!!!

I haven't got a GH5 buy, yeah, looking at the manual and online videos of the VFR it doesn't appear to be variable within recording like it is on the FZ2500 and their consumer camcorders that have that function.

The Dolly Zoom would be out because its a combination of the optical lens zooming in/out and image scaling that requires an integral lens for the software to pull off. It *could* be possible on the few MFT powered zooms that Panasonic do I guess but it doesn't appear to be part of the feature set as yet.

Its some camera that FZ2500 isn't it? 

33 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I haven't got a GH5 buy, yeah, looking at the manual and online videos of the VFR it doesn't appear to be variable within recording like it is on the FZ2500 and their consumer camcorders that have that function.

The Dolly Zoom would be out because its a combination of the optical lens zooming in/out and image scaling that requires an integral lens for the software to pull off. It *could* be possible on the few MFT powered zooms that Panasonic do I guess but it doesn't appear to be part of the feature set as yet.

Its some camera that FZ2500 isn't it? 

Thank you for double checking for me. Yeah the FZ2500 is awesome and to be honest with you, without the slow and quick function, the GH5 seems a little less intriguing to me... as silly as I'm sure that sounds. I think I will definitely wait to see how the summer firmware is before I buy one. D7500 here I come... and maybe another FZ2500... or maybe I should follow your lead and go with the LS300...

I never used the dolly zoom, but I figured it was entirely some kind of digital scaling... or some shit... oh well that's easy enough to do with my slider. 

• Super Members
Just now, mercer said:

Thank you for double checking for me. Yeah the FZ2500 is awesome and to be honest with you, without the slow and quick function, the GH5 seems a little less intriguing to me... as silly as I'm sure that sounds. I think I will definitely wait to see how the summer firmware is before I buy one. D7500 here I come... and maybe another FZ2500... or maybe I should follow your lead and go with the LS300...

Get all three. Its the only logical option here!

Add the Ninja Inferno while you're at it and get ProRes and pristine monitoring for all three for only $300 per camera!

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Get all three. Its the only logical option here!

Add the Ninja Inferno while you're at it and get ProRes and pristine monitoring for all three for only $300 per camera!

Now you're talking. But seriously, it's funny how quickly I can go from hot to cold on equipment. In reality, I am really completely happy with the 5D3, but am looking for something I can get slow motion with a quicker post workflow and cheaper cards. The siren call of 10 bit 4K, 4K 60p, and IBIS had me there for a minute or two. Still a cool camera, but I definitely have to weigh my options a little more now. The 60p from my D5500 looks great to me, so without the in camera normal to slow motion function, then... ehh... I may as well just get an FZ2500. 

• Super Members
8 minutes ago, mercer said:

Now you're talking. But seriously, it's funny how quickly I can go from hot to cold on equipment. In reality, I am really completely happy with the 5D3, but am looking for something I can get slow motion with a quicker post workflow and cheaper cards. The siren call of 10 bit 4K, 4K 60p, and IBIS had me there for a minute or two. Still a cool camera, but I definitely have to weigh my options a little more now. The 60p from my D5500 looks great to me, so without the in camera normal to slow motion function, then... ehh... I may as well just get an FZ2500. 

With the 4K60p of the LS300 once you get over the pain of the purchase price of the Ninja Inferno it does actually work out cheaper per gig to record on SSD (about £4.60 per mb for SD versus £2.30 for SSD) but you do need more space because its recording ProRes but then again that gives you a faster workflow. As my very tedious spreadsheet the other week showed!

I use the D500 for work but for stills rather than video and if that D7500 is the same internals then you'll be getting a fine camera.

I'l just throw a curveball in though and suggest you take a peak at the XT-20. I got one as a cheaper second XT-2 for work. It has plenty going for it.

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

With the 4K60p of the LS300 once you get over the pain of the purchase price of the Ninja Inferno it does actually work out cheaper per gig to record on SSD (about £4.60 per mb for SD versus £2.30 for SSD) but you do need more space because its recording ProRes but then again that gives you a faster workflow. As my very tedious spreadsheet the other week showed!

I use the D500 for work but for stills rather than video and if that D7500 is the same internals then you'll be getting a fine camera.

I'l just throw a curveball in though and suggest you take a peak at the XT-20. I got one as a cheaper second XT-2 for work. It has plenty going for it.

Actually I think the LS300 may have the nicest 4K image under $3000. And some of the coolest features, but I shoot almost entirely guerilla style and I would be afraid the form factor may draw too much attention. But the idea of different sensor sizes sounds so cool. My c-mounts would love it and then to be able to use a Kern prime as a zoom... too effing cool. 

I have tested so many cameras over the past year and the images I come back to and really like are from 5D3 ML Raw, the D5500 and the CineLikeD with the FZ2500. So I should probably just stick to those. Although I did go through a Fuji phase and the color OOC really is spectacular. 

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

but I shoot almost entirely guerilla style and I would be afraid the form factor may draw too much attention

That's why I don't care when people praise the big boobies as the best when not the only girls in town. No Alexa will give you the mini-Varicam can.

Once again, the best camera is that one in your hands when you're able to push the trigger.

Don't impress too much on some opinions you read over here. I've read a few nonsense apparently even not from the usual suspects. They just want to justify their own choices. Dictated by their own circumstances, not yours :-)

I just came back from a wedding shoot with the GH5 and there is one thing that I'm not too happy about. With the GH3 and GH4, I could use the internal mics for the party in the evening. The loud music was picked up pretty well and I didn't disort at all so was useable.

Now, the GH5. I had the audio-input at -12 db which is the lowest setting the camera does and it records fucking LOUD. All clips from the party are heavily distorted like the camera was taped onto the speakers.

Now, other than turning the limiter on (which i do not like), would there be another setting that lowers the input of the audio?