Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Fatalfury said:

Anybody know when the camera will be finally available to buy in Europe and UK? 

It is already... https://geizhals.eu/?cat=dcamsp&xf=516_Panasonic&asuch=GH5&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=n

UK, e.g. http://www.wexphotographic.com/search/?q=GH5&search_type=All , https://www.ukdigital.co.uk/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5-body.html

I could walk out of my door, go to a store and pick one up in person as we speak.

4 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:
On 5/1/2017 at 4:22 PM, mercer said:

The color is similar to the GX85 and G85, but with Cine D and V-log it's better I think. I need to shoot more but for now I'm very pleased with the results I've been getting with 10-bit 25p v-log. In post I use the Leeming lut as base and grade from there. Grading from scratch is doable and a nice way to get better at grading. 

Yes...I use the Leeming LUT exactly like you do...the only thing I "disagree" with him a little on is in the exposure....he provides a bit of a manual for use with his LUTs (which as far as I know no one else does...though in fairness I've not used Andrews procolor or Luke's LUTS and they may do also)....anyway in terms of exposure he suggests ETTR which in most cases work, but under trying circumstances nothing beats a good spot/incident lightmeter. But it's really only a problem when you have an extremely bright source in the shot....relative to the rest. Anyway, once I started using his LUT in the GH4 the camera became a different beast!

27 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I could walk out of my door, go to a store and pick one up in person as we speak.

In the US they are flying off the shelf....B&H already sold out of 2 shipments and the next stock is expected May 4th...mine should ship from Hot Rod Camera sometime today or tomorrow!

21 hours ago, Emanuel said:

This last paragraph recalls this video here (and that meaningful statement pronounced on minute 1:27):

What about to take that thing of settings seriously?

I doubt he may find the same outcome going with sharpness dialed at the lowest end of the range, as for instance.

Actually, taking appearances seriously instead (see minute 1:22 for example and those ugly shadows in the wall as merely from bad lighting) can be an illusive bitch to the eyes BTW...

There should surely be sweet spots for AF usage, as well.

The signs are out there: it is just the way to follow them. Straight out of the box? Hard to find their miracles.

There's only so much fiddling with settings can achieve if the tech isn't quite there in the first place. There's a ton of videos and posts where people explore the autofucus settings of the GH5 and everyone pretty much comes to the same conclusion. Sure, there's a sweetspot for AF usage but at that sweetspot the autofocus is still no way near the competition.

I really like the GH5 but if i ever needed good reliable AF on a paid job where retakes might not be possible i would leave the GH5 at home.

53 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Yes...I use the Leeming LUT exactly like you do...the only thing I "disagree" with him a little on is in the exposure....he provides a bit of a manual for use with his LUTs (which as far as I know no one else does...though in fairness I've not used Andrews procolor or Luke's LUTS and they may do also)....anyway in terms of exposure he suggests ETTR which in most cases work, but under trying circumstances nothing beats a good spot/incident lightmeter. But it's really only a problem when you have an extremely bright source in the shot....relative to the rest. Anyway, once I started using his LUT in the GH4 the camera became a different beast!

Yeah, I have experienced that myself a few times with the Cine D lut. When I have used the v-log lut the results have been very good every time.

53 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

In the US they are flying off the shelf....B&H already sold out of 2 shipments and the next stock is expected May 4th...mine should ship from Hot Rod Camera sometime today or tomorrow!

In Norway they're in stock everywhere and has been for a couple of weeks. Excited to hear how you like the camera!

1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

[..]

I guess you guys have got more clientele per store over there. Hell, I even bought from B&H once (when the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 was 99 bucks). I guess if you have a bit more local business there, you might have better odds, that's why I'm not really into pre-ordering, unless doing so makes you eligible for certain perks (like a freebie (memory card, battery grip, etc)). But this time around, I'm just waiting for a possible 12-35mm II kit to drop? If it's like the Leica 12-60, you can save up to 300 bucks by getting the kit. The 12-60 Leica is the same kind of money as the 12-35mm II. But we kinda know the 12-35mm II is primarily a little cosmetic upgrade, the iris should be smoother and I guess the Dual I.S. 2.0 compatibility is a marketing ploy to get you upgrading from the old one. Believe in some instances the older one seems to perform better optically? That's interesting. Anyways, 999,- I find quite the stretch, not sure the value is there at that price. At 300,- off (that's like almost the price of the battery grip or XLR unit), count me in. And while I wait for that to happen, or not... there's also the upcoming FW upgrades! I don't see much use in getting a better bitdepth, but then sticking to 150Mbps, so... it's like even more compressed. So, as soon as the 400Mbps drops, count me in! Gives me a little more time to make some more memories with the old cameras before selling them off.

sorry was being a tad facetious - mainly doubting the reliability of any af system - if it was an important paying job and I needed to get focus 1st go I would put my money towards a focus puller rather than rent another camera and hope af worked everytime

18 hours ago, Vesku said:

Does the GH5 minimum shutter speed and auto iso range/limiter settings work when shooting video?

I don't use auto but can confirm you can set the ISO range even while recording -- when you press the ISO button, one of the dials sets the upper ISO limit while the other the ISO itself, including switch to AUTO if so desired. I wish I could assign the dial by the LCD for the ISO adjustment, much like how it works on 5D, without need to press any button first at all. Right now, the dial does nothing in video mode and isn't assignable either.

31 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I guess you guys have got more clientele per store over there. Hell, I even bought from B&H once (when the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 was 99 bucks). I guess if you have a bit more local business there, you might have better odds, that's why I'm not really into pre-ordering, unless doing so makes you eligible for certain perks (like a freebie (memory card, battery grip, etc)). But this time around, I'm just waiting for a possible 12-35mm II kit to drop? If it's like the Leica 12-60, you can save up to 300 bucks by getting the kit. The 12-60 Leica is the same kind of money as the 12-35mm II. But we kinda know the 12-35mm II is primarily a little cosmetic upgrade, the iris should be smoother and I guess the Dual I.S. 2.0 compatibility is a marketing ploy to get you upgrading from the old one. Believe in some instances the older one seems to perform better optically? That's interesting. Anyways, 999,- I find quite the stretch, not sure the value is there at that price. At 300,- off (that's like almost the price of the battery grip or XLR unit), count me in. And while I wait for that to happen, or not... there's also the upcoming FW upgrades! I don't see much use in getting a better bitdepth, but then sticking to 150Mbps, so... it's like even more compressed. So, as soon as the 400Mbps drops, count me in! Gives me a little more time to make some more memories with the old cameras before selling them off.

I wonder how much that will add in the end. I've seen quite a few sources that claimed that 400Mbps All-I is actually more compressed than 150Mbps Long GOP so the All-I will maybe give you slightly better motion & quality when there's a lot of movement but no image quality boost in most cases.

Just now, Phil A said:

I wonder how much that will add in the end. I've seen quite a few sources that claimed that 400Mbps All-I is actually more compressed than 150Mbps Long GOP so the All-I will maybe give you slightly better motion & quality when there's a lot of movement but no image quality boost in most cases.

I tend to think it will up the quality a notch where it matters but it's all just guessing, cause the compression is such a complicated thing and there are so many variables in play.. Let's hope Panny's engineers know what they're doing. Meanwhile, there's also a petition making rounds: https://www.change.org/p/panasonic-introduce-4k-4-2-2-ipb-400mbps-and-fhd-4-2-2-ipb-200mbps-modes-for-panasonic-gh5

33 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Agreed on the preorder thing....unfortunately in the US they don't offer the GH 12-60 Panny/Leica lens that I wanted...so $1000 later!...I never used the 200 Mbps Intra on the GH4 as it did not produce the best image quality...I have read that under extremely difficult motion conditions the Intra can perform better...so I could see a need for using the 400 Intra upgrade where movement is more important than image...I record almost exclusively at 800 Mbps in prores on an external recorder....best image and best editing results on my Mac...however the current 150Mbps in the GH5 in the right hands (always the case with any camera regardless what some on the forum may say) produces beautiful results...still won't have mine for a month, so you may beat me to shooting with it...envy you for being able to save real $'s on these kits though....their glass is getting pricey, but it's also getting really good!

18 minutes ago, Phil A said:

This little short article may help shed a some light on the subject.

http://www.dslrvideocollege.com/all-i-vs-ipb-what-do-they-mean

13 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would expect everyone to know those basics from the article, the question is: how much more data rate will you need in All-I to match the quality of Long GOP? If it's 3 times, you already lose quality with the 400 Mbps codec. @Fritz Pierre is of course right about the "in the right hands" comment, but those also do magic with 8bit 4:2:0 material in 100 Mbps.

I've seen a table with comparison of the different compression levels but I can't recall where, I'll edit it in when/if I find it.

EDIT: here we go. Apparently the 400Mbps All-I should be somewhat better. http://wolfcrow.com/blog/thoughts-on-comparing-8-bit-and-10-bit-footage-from-the-panasonic-gh5/

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Great article...it also serves to boggle the mind at the complexity of what happens in a digital camera at such speed, to produce the image, as opposing to a lens allowing an exposure via, in the case of motion, a 180 degree mechanical shutter onto a light sensitive film frame...technology is truly amazing in some areas!!

50 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I would expect everyone to know those basics from the article, the question is: how much more data rate will you need in All-I to match the quality of Long GOP? If it's 3 times, you already lose quality with the 400 Mbps codec. @Fritz Pierre is of course right about the "in the right hands" comment, but those also do magic with 8bit 4:2:0 material in 100 Mbps.

I've seen a table with comparison of the different compression levels but I can't recall where, I'll edit it in when/if I find it.

I am guessing the 400mbs All-I will be No better than what we have now, other than maybe help with motion smearing, tearing. But for critical editing it will help, but at the cost of a LOT more data, ergo, needing a Bigger SD card. And I think your 3x times is in the ball park.

6 minutes ago, Phil A said:
11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

If you don't mind wading through a lot of pages on DVXUser, there is a detailed explanation in the GH5 is coming thread on this very subject....and of course storage media is going to be the bottleneck in this new FW update and codec...that's why I like Prores...I already have the large fast SSD's and my slower Sandisks in SD seems to work seemlessly in the current 150Mbps acquisition