Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the GH5 will be getting a firmware update later in the year for 4k 60p 10bit? Is this true or false? 

I believe it's false... the high bitrate 1080p at 60p will be 10 bit, but I think the 4K 60p will remain 8 bit. 

18 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

did he raise the master pedestal or lower the contrast ? The g80 in cinelike d at iso 1600 has less artifacts here....something is up with these settings

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

This left me breathless, almost in tears, so I just had to get this up here before anyone else.

Your work looks great.

that vid looks incredible. wow

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I believe it's false... the high bitrate 1080p at 60p will be 10 bit, but I think the 4K 60p will remain 8 bit. 

I think it's Bloom who said it in his blog. 

I'm really enjoying the A6500 at the moment, and even chose it ahead of my FS5 for a shoot this week.

The 4K image is pretty special sauce. Better than the FS5's internal 4K.

The IBIS is super useful.

The autofocus is great, awesome for a gimbal. Just wish it had 4k60p. 

This peaks my interest in the GH5 - as I expect the experience to be similar, and better in some aspects. 

Its one of them though. I'm totally covered with my Sony's. No colour issues. Got past that.

I'll keep watch of the GH5 but new cameras and gizmos are way, way down my priority list. Making stuff is No.1 :) 

4 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I think it's Bloom who said it in his blog. 

I'm really enjoying the A6500 at the moment, and even chose it ahead of my FS5 for a shoot this week.

The 4K image is pretty special sauce. Better than the FS5's internal 4K.

The IBIS is super useful.

The autofocus is great, awesome for a gimbal. Just wish it had 4k60p. 

This peaks my interest in the GH5 - as I expect the experience to be similar, and better in some aspects. 

Its one of them though. I'm totally covered with my Sony's. No colour issues. Got past that.

I'll keep watch of the GH5 but new cameras and gizmos are way, way down my priority list. Making stuff is No.1 :) 

Yeah, I am loving the a6500. Slog3 with sgamutcine3 is really something special. And as long as you don't have a lot of blue sky in your shots, I haven't noticed any artifacts.

7 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

that vid looks incredible. wow

The vid looks very nice. I wonder what you think about the footage. Emmanuel Pampuri  is so kind to share the ooc on vimeo.

"If you want to test to grade the V-log footage you can DL it from my vimeo https://vimeo.com/204662860"

The pale grade of the skin is for a reason. Reminds me of the first GH4 Vlog footage Nick Driftwood shared a couple of years back.

29 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow that is a pretty big negative you kind of have to avoid LoL. Yikes.

Oh yeah definitely. It's pretty known that sLog3 does not play well with 8 bit, but in certain shots... it is amazing. slog2 has similar problems on occasion but again I feel the pros outweigh the cons in most instances...

IMG_0936.JPG

Back OT... GH5 RULES!!!

Auto white balans is at fault for the skin going from yellow to pink in a couple of frames (from what I read in the comments, my french is not that good).

yellow.jpg

pink.jpg

….But is it also the cause of a terrible (here slightly exaggerated by adding too much saturation) skin disease?

skin_disease.jpg

Doesn't look to good to me. And it's not just skin that is plagued by macro blocking. Saw it in the Neumann footage as well.

I have an important question.

Where are these people who make testvideo's getting their GH5's from? Did Panasonic contact them? Did they contact Panasonic? 
I have a wedding coming up soon and would love to use it but I guess that's not going to happen.

And did they 'borrow' a pre-production model or simply received one? How does that even work?

1 hour ago, Ken Ross said:

I was under the impression you were talking about graded footage.

I was and am. But grading, any grading, is not why macroblocking turns up. With some effort you can quantize colors but that's not macro blocking.

Two more samples from Neumann. Once you see it you can not unsee it. Could be that there is a bug with AWB. Maybe someone can test it out. If so then Panasonic should fix it pronto as it's there since Vlog was released for the GH4.

LukeSnowFace_MaBl_01.jpg

LukeSnowFace_MaBl_02.jpg

snow_MaBl_01.jpg

snow_MaBl_02.jpg

1 hour ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

I don't get it... What has white balance to do with macroblocking? All I am seeing in those extreme gradings above is color banding, which is normal after such a push in post. Macroblocking is a compression artifact...

Color banding and macroblocking are related. "encoding blocks" are small clusters of the same color, so for example the 8bit banding of the sky can get exaggerated with the macroblocks of compressed bands in the sky. 

If WB is far off then color tonalities will be off and that can also create banding & macro blocks, but in this case WB was correct. 

In the specific example the bunk posted (4th picture) there is a lot of macroblocking on the skin. 

1 hour ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

I don't get it... What has white balance to do with macroblocking? All I am seeing in those extreme gradings above is color banding, which is normal after such a push in post. Macroblocking is a compression artifact...

I should have used the term 'YUV chroma smearing' ...it's been a while.

Here are two link where Lpowell explains about it.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340370-Exposing-V-LOG-L&p=1986578386&viewfull=1#post1986578386

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340370-Exposing-V-LOG-L&p=1986578534&viewfull=1#post1986578534