Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

This is super duper! Confirmed Metabones Speed Booster XL works fine with the GH5.

Actually, maybe you would know this...

The Speedbooster I was using was a rental and it didn't state anywhere on their site WHAT Speedbooster it was, only that it was Canon EF>M43.  I looked online and saw that the Ultra and XL both have writing on top stating that they are the Ultra and XL versions.  Mine didn't have...anything.  It just said Canon EF to M43.

I was assuming it was an early version or something so I said XL just to be safe.  Before and after looked like a sizable crop but I wasn't completely sure.

1.jpg

38 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Actually, maybe you would know this...

The Speedbooster I was using was a rental and it didn't state anywhere on their site WHAT Speedbooster it was, only that it was Canon EF>M43.  I looked online and saw that the Ultra and XL both have writing on top stating that they are the Ultra and XL versions.  Mine didn't have...anything.  It just said Canon EF to M43.

I was assuming it was an early version or something so I said XL just to be safe.  Before and after looked like a sizable crop but I wasn't completely sure.

1.jpg

Beautiful footage.....I'm curious if you corrected with a new LUT for the Gh5 and also, if you don't mind, a few words of what you thought of the speedbooster?

2 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Beautiful footage.....I'm curious if you corrected with a new LUT for the Gh5 and also, if you don't mind, a few words of what you thought of the speedbooster?

Thanks, yeah all new LUTs.  I have always liked using a Speedbooster, I dunno.  I could go back and forth, at times I want more in focus and really would want that stabilization.  I would almost keep a Speedbooster on hand for low light and shallow DOF stuff.  It definitely makes the camera more versatile. 

3 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Like this?

mb_spef-m43-bm1_04s.jpg

If so, that's the first version of the EF-m4/3 booster, which is .71x power.

The Ultra is a new version of this, still .71x, but with slightly revised optics.

The XL is .64x.

And you're right, the Ultra and XL are both labeled as such with yellow writing. So you almost definitely had the first .71x version.

Someone could probably drop those two screenshots into Photoshop and measure the crop factor and we could know for sure...

24 minutes ago, aldolega said:

Like this?

mb_spef-m43-bm1_04s.jpg

If so, that's the first version of the EF-m4/3 booster, which is .71x power.

The Ultra is a new version of this, still .71x, but with slightly revised optics.

The XL is .64x.

And you're right, the Ultra and XL are both labeled as such with yellow writing. So you almost definitely had the first .71x version.

Someone could probably drop those two screenshots into Photoshop and measure the crop factor and we could know for sure...

That's the one.  More or less confirms the Ultra from what I've been told, yeah?

2 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

I wouldn't get too excited by this, he says he shot 50p & slowed to quarter speed. Which is confirmed by the too-slow stuttery framerate. Even handheld without any stabilization starts to look ok at 25%.

5 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

That's the one.  More or less confirms the Ultra from what I've been told, yeah?

Yes, the Ultra is the same power/reduction factor, so the FOV and DOF would be exactly the same. The Ultra is just a hair sharper, mostly at the edges. Which I doubt anyone is noticing at 1080p through Youtube.

Was the moire on her backpack in the last shot in the SOOC footage? Or is that Youtube's fault?

11 minutes ago, aldolega said:

I wouldn't get too excited by this, he says he shot 50p & slowed to quarter speed. Which is confirmed by the too-slow stuttery framerate. Even handheld without any stabilization starts to look ok at 25%.

Yes, the Ultra is the same power/reduction factor, so the FOV and DOF would be exactly the same. The Ultra is just a hair sharper, mostly at the edges. Which I doubt anyone is noticing at 1080p through Youtube.

Was the moire on her backpack in the last shot in the SOOC footage? Or is that Youtube's fault?

In camera.  Didn't even notice TBH...a little animated mask with some blur should fix it.

5 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

In camera.  Didn't even notice TBH...a little animated mask with some blur should fix it.

Nooooo!  As someone who videos people who wear clothes quite a bit this is a massive pain in the arse.  I find with the gx85 big patterns will moire at a distance, smaller ones closer, and closer still the weave of the clothes becomes problematic.  was this 1080 slow mo? or 4K?

2 minutes ago, gethin said:

Nooooo!  As someone who videos people who wear clothes quite a bit this is a massive pain in the arse.  I find with the gx85 big patterns will moire at a distance, smaller ones closer, and closer still the weave of the clothes becomes problematic.  was this 1080 slow mo? or 4K?

A: Just shoot in 4K/60 if dealing with intense patterns.

B: If you absolutely need 180fps, animate some masks with Gaussian Blur or move the camera closer and shoot shallow DOF.

C: Still a pre production model, no clue if it will be improved or not before release but...it's always on the table, I suppose.

5 minutes ago, gethin said:

you should try shooting them without clothes on.

1 minute ago, gethin said:

BINGO! 

Hee hee

Sorry went back to vid and noticed it was labelled 1080.  I can live with a bit of moire now and then in slowmo, have you found any moire in your 4k footage yet?

This is 4K gx85: 

Nothing that's immediately caught my attention.  Then again, I haven't been looking for it for a few years now and this one slipped past my (clearly fading) eyes.