Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 21.2.2017 at 1:40 AM, kidzrevil said:

@jonpais I tried shooting cinelike D with -5 contrast and -5 saturation the other day and nearly threw up ! Those negative settings tore the image apart

Yeah, only put sharpening and noisereduction to -5.

Leave contrast at 0 and put saturation down to -2 if there are much saturated objects.

37 minutes ago, Vesku said:

One user says Panasonic G-cameras (G7, G80, GX80 etc) has different 4k 100Mbs codec than GH4. Any opinions?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16153/panasonic-4k-codec-breaks-100mbps-is-not-enough#Item_14

Actually I noticed exactly the same problem on a LX100. Really strange, I thought it was agressive temporal noise reduction which causes the trailing and didn't know other cameras like the G81/80/85 suffer from this as well. And I really hope the GH5 won't show this problem since it appeared on every Panasonic 4k camera after the GH4!

Very sad actually. My GH4 only shows this starting from ISO2500 and above. 

21 hours ago, Vesku said:

One user says Panasonic G-cameras (G7, G80, GX80 etc) has different 4k 100Mbs codec than GH4. Any opinions?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16153/panasonic-4k-codec-breaks-100mbps-is-not-enough#Item_14

I noticed the "jumping" he's talking about in some of my footage but its rare. I haven't shot past iso 1600 with my g80 but I have never experienced ghosting,macroblocking or the image going soft because of a low bit rate. I think the poster is just on a witch hunt he's gonna need a lot more than footage he found on cameralabs.com to prove that point lol

Hi all. Finally joined this forum although I am a long time lurker.

Would anybody know a decent loupe or viewfinder for a G80? I have Kamerar QV-1 M for LX100, and I like the viewfinder but it does not work with G80. I hope to find something similar (or better yet, a separate baseplate that works with QV-1.)

On 2/8/2017 at 3:31 AM, tomsemiterrific said:

I'm finding the same thing, and all the shooting I do under exposing minus 2/3 or thereabouts the color is much fuller and richer. Over exposure makes the colors look washed out, and it's hard to recoup it in post.

Its nearly impossible to recover accurate colors at 0 to +1/3 exposure ?

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Its nearly impossible to recover accurate colors at 0 to +1/3 exposure ?

I second that. Although I can only speak for the GX80, the colors look WAY better with -2/3 exposure. One should not take the camera's LCD to judge exposure, it looks quite dark, but on the computer much better and there is plenty of room to lift the mids if needed. I think from now on I will always shoot with -2/3 except in low light.

3 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

I noticed in his tests at the beginning an interesting thing. With the first two tests, +2 clearly won and his subject was at the same distance to the lens on both the left & right side. When his subject ran toward the camera in the subsequent tests, and the +2 didn't focus, his subject was closer to the lens than he was on the 0 side. I've had the same issues with my A6300 when a face was a bit too close to the lens, the 6300 just wouldn't focus. So it seems this wasn't a well controlled test and I'm not sure how much you can take away with it.

In general I've found the touch focus works better than what was depicted in his video. But there are so many variables between lighting, subject distances and lens choices. It's very tough to generalize from one test.

You may be right, but Max has worked with a number of Panasonics, he still uses them from time to time to shoot his vlogs; he also uses Sony a6XXX cameras; in addition, he's tested far more cameras than I've ever laid hands on: so when he says, as he does in the video, that he's experienced problems with AF-C with all of his Panasonics, I have no reason to doubt him. So, he's not generalizing from just one test: he's basing his findings on tests as well as real world use. On top of which, I myself have owned four or five Panasonics, and my experience has been the same. So whether the G85 performs a little better, a little worse or just the same at +2, his initial findings that AF-C on the G85 is unreliable holds true for me. 

7 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Custom cinelike v straight out the camera.

ETTR to 90% zebras and the cinelike profiles SING !

IMG_0747.PNG

Hey Kidz! I read that you already made a few tests with different profiles and stettings on your camera, so...have you already tested the Leeming Lut One for CineD?

12 hours ago, Bizz said:

Hey Kidz! I read that you already made a few tests with different profiles and stettings on your camera, so...have you already tested the Leeming Lut One for CineD?

nah, I heard good things about it but I haven't tested the leeming lut but I have tested CINED. I've decided to not use cined and to go with Natural instead. The trade off between image quality and dynamic range is not worth it using CINED. It destroys tonality even at default settings and it has extremely weird shifts in its color channel. CineV or Natural are the two best profiles