FCPX- Hue/Saturation Effect for Skin Tones

John Matthews

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Has anyone been using the effect marked "Hue/Saturation" in Final Cut Pro X for correcting skin tones? I'm having better results than using the color correction tool. I'm just wondering if others have done this and experience major drawbacks....

I've seen this effect, but off the cuff I'm not sure how it helps to correct skin tones. Please explain.

I made a Motion template to make Sony skin tones match Canon skin tones, here. Unzip the file and move the "AXS" folder to >user > movies > Motion templates >effects. No risk, if you don't like it, you can simply move it to the trash. In FCP X, you find it in the effects tab under "AXS". It's called Hautfarben (german for skin tones). You'll see a preview of it if you select a timeline clip and skim over the effect's icon. The preview is set to 50% mix, but you have an amount-slider rigged to go from 0-100%. 

Base is keying the typically lifeless skin of correctly white balanced Sony clips. Applied to Canon clips, the skin will have an unnatural orange cast. You can easily change the color itself within the filter. But if you happen to use a camera with a different color science than Sony, you'd have to open the filter in Motion (right click) and reset the keyer.

26 minutes ago, Axel said:

I've seen this effect, but off the cuff I'm not sure how it helps to correct skin tones. I made a Motion template to make Sony skin tones match Canon skin tones, here. Unzip the file and move the "AXS" folder to >user > movies > Motion templates >effects. No risk, if you don't like it, you can simply move it to the trash. In FCP X, you find it in the effects tab under "AXS". It's called Hautfarben (german for skin tones). You'll see a preview of it if you select a timeline clip and skim over the effect's icon. The preview is set to 50% mix, but you have an amount-slider rigged to go from 0-100%. 

Thank you Axel,

I tried it, but I think there might be a learning curve for this plugin. I'll try some more today and tell you what I think.