Blast from the past Canon XL-1!!?? 2016 Uses?!!

Juxx989

well you know when your known as the "camera guy" in your circle people keep dumping these old cameras I don't know what to do with...Earlier this year somebody gave me a Nikon D50 thats just sitting there....and just today this woman down the hall gives me a Canon XL-1  I can lie my heart dropped a little you dont know How much I wanted one back in 2000 when I worked at a local CBS station... 

I have a NX-1 with 16-50s , 30mm, 45mm,16mm... about 6 old manual lenses... 

What do I do with this Canon? Perhaps a good prop?   Well at least it will look cool on my camera shelf....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Get that 24p "HD" (24F mode with the 2:3 pulldown) out of the SDI port to an external recorder for a project and honor this beauty ! The motion cadence looks good on this and I don't even need to talk about the colors. 3ccd was awesome and it's a 4:2:2 camera!  It's a great tool - I had a lots of fun project in school with that one, Dynamic range and low light is limited a bit that's all 

or even that 24p "SD" if you still have some tape around - "Records in 24 fps progressive mode like movie cameras, creating a true cinematic feel to the picture" according to Canon pdf 

No lie, if one fell into my hands I'd start writing up a project just for the camera.
It was like a holy grail of cameras for me before the HD(V) days. I got to shoot a few projects with its little brother XM2 and that thing was bliss.

Those old pro/prosumer Canons were so easy and so much fun to use my producing partner actually dropped out of cinematography when they became obsolete and we moved to HDSLR:s and Cinema cameras.

6 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

So all I got to do is get a BlackMagic recorder/screen and Im in 4:2:2  SD VIDEO Heaven!?   Samsung is out the window!! Retro is in these days... This won video of the year...   

OHHH shoot, I've confuse the SD version with the HDV    (XL-H1)

"The difference in size between the XL1’s CCD and 35 mm film means that the effective focal length of the EF lens is multiplied by 7.2×"

There's no sdi on the XL-1 according to the user manual;

Output level: Video terminal: RCA jack, 1 Vp-p/75Ω unbalanced, synchronized load S-video terminal: 4 pin mini DIN, 1 Vp-p (Y signal), 0.286 Vp-p (C signal) Audio terminal: RCA jack (L, R), 2 sets 4dBm (47kΩ load)/3kΩ or less, unbalanced

http://www.tlu.ee/~rajaleid/manuals/CANON-XL1-Video-camera-USER-MANUAL.pdf

RCA output seems to be 4:2:0