Transcoding?

Dustin

What is the thoughts on this as of Dec. 2016? I'm still using an old d5300 on Premiere Pro CC 2015. I don't have the latest update with Proxy workflow but I do have the Lumetri Color panel upgrade which was huge! My computer is currently a 2012 MBPR with an i7 and 8 gigs of ram. I edit on a USB3 drive typically. I usually have no issues editing my projects which range from 30 seconds to up to 15 minutes with my typical work but when using Lumetri my computer struggles. Would transcoding to prores help the overall session speed and would I lose much of anything? Can anyone point me to articles/threads where this was RECENTLY discussed? Apologize if I'm bringing an old topic up and simply need to look a little harder. Can Adobe Media Encoder transcode to ProRes?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't think transcoding to ProRes is going to help but you can always try.

ProRes and H.264 pretty much use the same compression technology, but ProRes does not use inter-frame compression.  It is hard to scrub the timeline with inter-frame compression because the computer has to calculate the current frame starting from a key frame which may not be nearby so transcoding it often helps.  By the way you can encode H.264 without inter-frame compression as well.

Lumetri functions use the CPU and GPU and do not depend on the codec because they are processed after internal decoding.

You could enable 1/2 or 1/4 playback on the program monitor or use lower resolution proxies.

18 hours ago, Dustin said:

What is the thoughts on this as of Dec. 2016? I'm still using an old d5300 on Premiere Pro CC 2015. I don't have the latest update with Proxy workflow but I do have the Lumetri Color panel upgrade which was huge! My computer is currently a 2012 MBPR with an i7 and 8 gigs of ram. I edit on a USB3 drive typically...when using Lumetri my computer struggles. Would transcoding to prores help the overall session speed and would I lose much of anything?

In this article Tony Northrup discusses how to manually use a proxy workflow in previous versions of Premiere: http://www.rangefinderonline.com/features/how-to/Getting-Acquainted-with-Offline-Video-Editing-to-Ease-You-Into-4K-8988.shtml

As already stated, I'm not sure that would help with Lumetri performance, but maybe it would free up CPU cycles from constantly decoding H264.

The new Premiere CC update for built-in proxy support is really nice -- it is vastly better than manually transcoding and linking up files.