Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nikon D5200 review

186 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,i bought the gh3 two weeks ago to replace my 7d, you think i should sell my gh3 and buy a d5200 instead ? Is The extra IQ worth it?

Posted

gh3 got smashed right down.  funny thing is, I bet little to no real passion was put into the video mode on the nikon.  I imagine it was pure fluke, and a lack of software crippling.  whereas the gh3 had video given priority by its r+d guys it would seem.  I'm now looking at nikon with a lot more interest.

Posted

A mirrorless one of these would be a hot prospect!!

Posted

Damn. I was finally considering buying a GH3 in spite of its moiré issues. But for some reason I thought it was better in high ISOs. Or perhaps the D5200 is way to good in that regard?
I've invested a lot on M43, so I guess I'm gonna stick with that. And besides I do like all else about the GH3!

Posted

Please reserve judgement on the GH3 until my final review next week. One bad test result doesn't make a season :)

PS - nice signature Charlie.

Posted

That Olympus is horrible at the edges compared to the sharper Nikon glass.  From this video I personally prefer the lows from the GH3.  To me the Nikon handles low light noise a bit better in the shadows/lows, however, both are great for night shooting given some light.  Just wish there was better glass on that GH3 for this review.  For a real focus on color or dynamic range you should go back to doing some daytime landscape tests between the two.  I'm assuming you were trying to fairly accommodate crop factor fairness, but I would slap the same Nikon glass on the GH3

Posted

Damn. I was finally considering buying a GH3 in spite of its moiré issues. But for some reason I thought it was better in high ISOs. Or perhaps the D5200 is way to good in that regard?
I've invested a lot on M43, so I guess I'm gonna stick with that. And besides I do like all else about the GH3!

The D5200 is clearly better at high ISOs. I used identical aperture and shutter speed on both cameras at ISO 1600 and 3200, and even with the crush applied for a punchy image with the D5200, the shadows are at a similar level of exposure but much noisier on the GH3. The main issue I feel, was that the GH3 produced unappealing muddy colours at these high ISOs. I graded almost all the shots you see in the video to get a balance. With the D5200 it was easy, with the GH3 I had to make much more dramatic changes. I don't think I have yet got the in-camera picture profile spot on with the GH3.

With the GH2 we took years getting used to the picture profiles, then they go and sweep them away for the GH3. It is completely different.

I am also kind of angst at the use of a Sony sensor in it. Panasonic should be putting their own technology in flagship products.

Posted

That Olympus is horrible at the edges compared to the sharper Nikon glass.  From this video I personally prefer the lows from the GH3.  To me the Nikon handles low light noise a bit better in the shadows/lows, however, both are great for night shooting given some light.  Just wish there was better glass on that GH3 for this review.  For a real focus on color or dynamic range you should go back to doing some daytime landscape tests between the two.  I'm assuming you were trying to fairly accommodate crop factor fairness, but I would slap the same Nikon glass on the GH3

Yeah - I kind of agree with you on this one. I will do this for the next test.

But the lens was by no means that great on the Nikon. $60 pancake!

I need to invest in some more Nikon glass since I only have the 50mm F1.8 and the 85mm F2.0.

Posted

The main issue I feel, was that the GH3 produced unappealing muddy colours at these high ISOs.

I assumed this as well.  You did a good job at balancing the GH3 to the 5200 from that night tower shot as I assumed instantly the GH3 was going to look bad, but it didn't.  I have a strong feeling the GH3 is far better in daylight profile.  Appreciate the night shooting, but in closer perimeter focus from both cameras from these streets the subjects will both look great, particularly a bit more bokeh esque.  Also I do like the motion from the GH3.  Something more organic about it.  I could care less about exterior night time noise from the latest generation of dslrs or mirrorless etc...They are catching up nicely

Posted

So is D800 or D5200 better option for video?

Posted

Well, we threw them into the night and this is how they came out. Maybe it just shows the GH3 needs more sensitive handling and that the D5200 can be thrown in there and get results. I know this is something a lot of people look for in a camera, and one of the reasons the C300 has been so popular.

The GH3 needs to be followed by a high performance GHX in my view.

With the cheap APS-C sensors getting so advanced, and the lens ranges of Nikon and Canon so comprehensive, Panasonic need to recognise a slight change in the game I'm afraid. The Blackmagic too sets a new benchmark. The main worry for Panasonic now would be to wonder who is going to shoot stills on a GH3? The lens range is expensive and more limited than Nikon's. The sensor just isn't as good. It also has tough competition from the OM-D because that camera has the internal stabilisation system with adapted glass.

Posted

So is D800 or D5200 better option for video?

Well I touched on it in the review but let's summarise this...

I'd take the articulated screen and fixed moire or aliasing on the D5200 any day over a full frame sensor.

The D5200 is also smaller and lighter, and a third of the price!

On Super 35mm there's very few situations where you cannot just use a fast aperture and add a slight vignette in post to mimic the look of a Nikon lens on full frame.

The D600 meanwhile has even worse moire & aliasing than the D800, but with the Mosaic Engineering filter it might be more appealing. I haven't tried that filter yet but the one in the 5D Mark II did soften the image and introduce issues with wide angle lenses. I liked it - but it is a bandaid not a fix.

Posted

Julien - This is the D5200 review not a commentary on the GH3 and I should clarify the GH3's strong points which aren't mentioned in the article...

The mirrorless mount means you can use a wider range of glass. Have no Nikon stuff? Then it won't be a $700 purchase, to say the least.

The GH3 is weather proof and has an OLED EVF which you can use during video recording. No mirror to get in the way.

Rolling shutter is less severe.

You don't need to sharpen in post as the resolution is superb out of the box.

Battery life is miles better on the GH3.

It has more physical control, more programmable buttons and 5 dials in total despite the small body.

The moire problems are pretty minor compared to the Canon 650D.

Posted

I think the only fair way to compare them is to use a Nikon adapter on the GH3 and move back to get same field of view- this way you are not entering lens performance into the equation........the Nikon would have the advantage of being "closer" to the subject but it's still a valid comparison...please consider this as it would equalize both cameras.

Thanks

Posted

Julien - This is the D5200 review not a commentary on the GH3 and I should clarify the GH3's strong points which aren't mentioned in the article...

The mirrorless mount means you can use a wider range of glass. Have no Nikon stuff? Then it won't be a $700 purchase, to say the least.

The GH3 is weather proof and has an OLED EVF which you can use during video recording. No mirror to get in the way.

Rolling shutter is less severe.

You don't need to sharpen in post as the resolution is superb out of the box.

Battery life is miles better on the GH3.

It has more physical control, more programmable buttons and 5 dials in total despite the small body.

The moire problems are pretty minor compared to the Canon 650D.

And to add to that, I think the lower performance in the ISO department is overcome by the fact that you have very fast options like the SLR Magic and Nokton lines of F and T0.95 lenses, as well as the future Speed Booster adapter to get severa T1.1 cine lenses and such!

I'll stick to my guns.

Posted

I think the only fair way to compare them is to use a Nikon adapter on the GH3 and move back to get same field of view- this way you are not entering lens performance into the equation........the Nikon would have the advantage of being "closer" to the subject but it's still a valid comparison...please consider this as it would equalize both cameras.

Thanks

With different sensor sizes, the lens performance is always in the equation. It is just a matter of trying to match them as closely as possible.

Given the same lens, a 2x crop sensor will have sharper corners than a full frame or 1.5x crop sensor because it uses more of the centre where the resolution is highest.

Posted

Is it not the case though, that the d5200 cannot change apertures while in live view mode? And if so, did you find this to be a problem? I read about this being a drawback of video shooting with nikon cameras and it sounded like a real bummer. Having to go out of live view mode and back in constantly, to adjust your exposure...?

Posted

Was the GH3 in this test using AVCHD .MTS or h264 .MOV?

Posted

Is it not the case though, that the d5200 cannot change apertures while in live view mode? And if so, did you find this to be a problem? I read about this being a drawback of video shooting with nikon cameras and it sounded like a real bummer. Having to go out of live view mode and back in constantly, to adjust your exposure...?

Not really since the aperture ring is on the lens with a lot of the Nikon glass. I use the AI/S stuff.

With the modern AF stuff you need to flick it into optical viewfinder mode and change the aperture there, then switch back to live view mode.

Posted

Was the GH3 in this test using AVCHD .MTS or h264 .MOV?

H.264 MOV ALL-I 72Mbit 1080/25p.

Posted

Its great to know that Nikon has a gem of a dslr that can do great in video, I'm sure like the comment above that this was a possible fluke sadly. To me the GH3 is still a better all around camera, the ergonomics alone is a big plus to me. Battery life, headphone/mic jack, 60fps, lens choice, these are great advantages I like. The low light of the 5200 is great, but I plan to get some lights anyway since in my opinion, controlling light is very important. But its good to see Nikon that has a very competitive camera, anyone with Nikon glass should give it a gander.

Posted

2013 is going to be an interesting year for the cheap shooters :)

Nikon is off with a good start. I expect more with the same/similar sensor (D7000 successor).

Sony will have a new 20 megapixelsensor with supposedly better dynamic range. First in the A58 (not so interesting), but probably later in NEX-camera's as well.

Canon definitely has to come with a new sensor. No way they can recycle this ancient 18 megapixel chip again... I'm curious what a new Canon-sensor would bring though. They have too much of their own offerings to protect as well...

Anyway, before buying any aps-c dslr for video, right now I'd wait until all the big players have come up with their new sensor. I'd say first half of 2013 we've seen most of the new chips. Unless you need something right now off course.

Posted

Nice to see post-sharpening (PS) being embraced as a viable tool when comparing camera performance, Andrew. As long as no artifacts are surfaced, PS can do a much better job than in-camera methods. By turning off/down in camera sharpening there could also be an advantage in effective noise reduction and edge preservation due to the way DCT quantization works.

While the 5D3 can indeed produce sufficiently sharp images with PS, if the shots aren't perfectly focused with sharp lenses, especially for medium to wide shots, PS can't bring the shot up to a sufficiently sharp level and looks soft compared to other cameras (noise grain can help, but only for brief clips). The 5D2 is a 1.4-1.5K camera (aliasing improves perceived resolution without post-sharpening) and the 5D3 is a 1.6K camera at best with PS: not much room for error and not sufficient for wide shots with far-away objects.

From both a technical and cost standpoint, there's no reason in 2013 for camera manufacturers to not be able to deliver full, true, 1000+ h & v sampling resolution 1920x1080 video cameras with little or no aliasing (oversampled at least 2x in hardware along with a sufficient OLPF). 10-16-bit HDR delivered with H.264/H.265 should be the next product differentiator.